IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Found the following at one of the local thrift stores:

Playstation 1 bare with video cable, no controllers or power cable: $4.99

My older niece and nephew bought a PS1 from a yard sale. Everything worked except the left controller jack. I bought this one to either replace it or get it working.

Diablo II for PC/Mac: $2.99

I can find the Diablo II battle pack for $30, but I just wanted the game itself.

Not a thrift find, but a co-worker who knows I collect video game "stuff" brought this into work this morning and gave it to me.

gamestuff.jpg

Also included was a blue controller, and two basic 8K memory cards, one was EA Sports branded.

Edited by Shephda

Yesterday from the same thrift store where I found all the stuff on the last page, I found mint CIB non-GH copies of Final Fantasy VIII and Final Fantasy Anthology. $5 each. I already have them, but they should be decent trade fodder.

Chris

Not a thrift find, but a co-worker who knows I collect video game "stuff" brought this into work this morning and gave it to me.

gamestuff.jpg

Also included was a blue controller, and two basic 8K memory cards, one was EA Sports branded.

LOVE the cow controller!!! I wonder if that was aimed at a certain games audience or what. Did they make Harvest Moon for PS2?? Morgan

gamestuff.jpg

LOVE the cow controller!!! I wonder if that was aimed at a certain games audience or what. Did they make Harvest Moon for PS2?? Morgan

Nope. The controller is for a PS1. I would like to know myself why it's like that. Could be just an aftermarket gimmick.

At any rate, it's now my favorite! :)

Today I was asked by my dad to stop by REPC to dump off a crusty old tape-drive that used to be for backing up the old 486. RePC is a local used computer recycler/store. I can't go in to get rid of stuff without finding myself browsing looking at what's up for sale.

I found a box with label on it: Untested Odyssey^2 lot, $30. I looked in the box and saw that it had 5 systems, and a jumble of controllers and rf cables.. no power supplies.

I have an O^2 already but the main controller doesn't work, so I bit, I took the box up front and bought the stuff.

Anyway having untangled it I've found that I have:

3 systems with hard wired controllers and RF cables.... When tested with an NES ac adaptor, they all worked, though one had bad picture quality. Not bad... three working systems.

1 system which is supposed to have hard wired controllers but doesn't have any and has no plug at the end of the rf cable. Can't really test that... not without opening it.. maybe later this week... since I'm getting shafted hours-wise at work... out of school for the summer and my hours drop from 22 a week to 10. Ugh...

1 system which has detatchable controllers, which were both in the box and a good rf cable. Has a different PS hookup.... will this work with... oh say.. an Atari 2600 adapter or am I going to have to track down one? It's funky... the controllers are silver with metalic tips on the sticks... I like the openings around the sticks, no "teeth".. so they slide around the edge nicer. I hope I can track down a power supply and find that it works.

4 rf modulators from inside O^2 systems (how odd...)

one chip plugged into a foam block:

P8048 0046

612191-I

©INTEL '77

Now if I could just figure out what the heck I did with all the O^2 games I bought and NWCGE '06. I looked where I thought I put them and all I found were a couple games I found at goodwill. I'm really confused.

Today I was asked by my dad to stop by REPC to dump off a crusty old tape-drive that used to be for backing up the old 486. RePC is a local used computer recycler/store. I can't go in to get rid of stuff without finding myself browsing looking at what's up for sale.

I found a box with label on it: Untested Odyssey^2 lot, $30. I looked in the box and saw that it had 5 systems, and a jumble of controllers and rf cables.. no power supplies.

I have an O^2 already but the main controller doesn't work, so I bit, I took the box up front and bought the stuff.

Anyway having untangled it I've found that I have:

3 systems with hard wired controllers and RF cables.... When tested with an NES ac adaptor, they all worked, though one had bad picture quality. Not bad... three working systems.

1 system which is supposed to have hard wired controllers but doesn't have any and has no plug at the end of the rf cable. Can't really test that... not without opening it.. maybe later this week... since I'm getting shafted hours-wise at work... out of school for the summer and my hours drop from 22 a week to 10. Ugh...

1 system which has detatchable controllers, which were both in the box and a good rf cable. Has a different PS hookup.... will this work with... oh say.. an Atari 2600 adapter or am I going to have to track down one? It's funky... the controllers are silver with metalic tips on the sticks... I like the openings around the sticks, no "teeth".. so they slide around the edge nicer. I hope I can track down a power supply and find that it works.

4 rf modulators from inside O^2 systems (how odd...)

one chip plugged into a foam block:

P8048 0046

612191-I

©INTEL '77

Now if I could just figure out what the heck I did with all the O^2 games I bought and NWCGE '06. I looked where I thought I put them and all I found were a couple games I found at goodwill. I'm really confused.

Wow, that's a nice deal!

The Intel 8048 is a microcontroller (basically a computer on a chip). It was what powered the Odyssey^2, which is unusual because most consoles did not use a microcontroller. Those chips are pretty common and are found in many devices. I have some that I got from old copying machine parts. It was also one of the first microcontrollers made.

I havent made any spectacular finds, but I have got a few awesome things at the local value village.

2 SNES Controlers, $5. Worked fined except for the start buttons, but they work fine for second player.

2 NES Controllers, $5. Worked perfectly, one had kind of mushey buttons, but the other one had a nice clicky feeling to it.

1 Offical SNES AC Adaptor, $3. I think this came with a SNES Jr model, but works with my original as well. I think it can be used on a VB too.

1 Super Mario RPG (SNES), $4. I think this is my best find yet, slight label damage but plays great.

1 Game Boy Camera, $4. Good find too, they had a Game Boy Pocket, but wanted $20, so I passed. Think they dropped the price to ten, but I like my old brick Game Boy. :3

1 Sega Game Gear, $5. Broken, sadly. They only item I have ever bought from them that did not work. Is not in my spare parts bin.

1 Nintendo 64 w/ all hookups, controller and Mario Cart 64, $30. Not the best deal, but still pretty good. The controller is third party, but better then the official ones anyways.

1 Atari 2600 Jr, console only, $5. Works fine, I have everything except for a power adaptor in my spare parts bin. Bought a third party adaptor.

Got a Colecovision and 20 games plus expansion module #1 for $50 from a CL ad.

Got two SNES original controllers for $1 a piece from Salvation Army.

Snatched LOZ Link to the Past for SNES for $.50 at Salvation Army.

Picked up 3 NES light guns (2 orange, 1 gray) for $1 a piece at Salvation Army.

Had to make a run to the landfill today and hit the Goodwill real quick. I found three Dreamcasts sitting there with no accessories whatsoever. Two were priced at 7.99 and one at 6.99. The $6.99 console had a game in it (Tomb Raider Revelation), so I hit the power cord area and found a cord that fit and plugged it in and it seemed to power and spin normal, so I threw it in the cart to ponder. Throughout the rest of the store, I managed to find the AV/RF cable (2.99), controller with a VMU (3.99) and a "jump pak" in retail package for $2.99. Since everything was there, I figured it was destiny and bought the lot.

I got home and had to leave right away - I had to make a "chauffeur" run for one of the kids, who apparently run the damn house and wound up two minutes from another Goodwill, so figured I'd be missing something if I didn't stop. I was on my way out the door and passed an aisle end cap with a bunch of audio books and one box caught my eye and pulled it out and about S#!t myself. A complete copy of NES Dragonwarrior III for $6.99 - very nice box, perfect manual, the poster with creature/ spell info has some damage and the cartridge looks like it never saw human hands, let alone made it in the console. Even had the little block of foam to fill the empty place in the box. Woo Hoo!

Hit one garage sale on the way home and saw a little 13", fairly modern TV that had a 50 cent sticker on it. I say "I take it the TV is dead?", the lady says "I just didn't know if it works or not". "Is there somewhere we could plug it in?", says I". "ummm, I guess you could unplug this fan" says she, pointing at the fan three feet from her chair as if it were a mountain way too big to climb. I plugged it in and it powered up, so I took a chance on it.

I got home, plugged in my fiddy cent TV, hooked up my Dreamcast and everything worked great! So, a Dreamcast and a TV to play it on - $17.46, not bad. Morgan

Nice find on the Coleco. Everything works OK?

Chris

I don't know yet. It had everything except a power adapter. I ordered a new one from 4jays.net and am waiting on it to arrive. Hopefully I didn't get burned on the Colecovision. If it doesn't work then maybe I can fix it. Have repaired many non-working consoles over the years.

$3.13 @ Goodwill for Interact Mobile Monitor For PS2. No power supply (found a suitable replacement) or mounting clips, but it works like a charm. The LCD still had the protective packing film on it.

Lucky dog. My local thrift has one too. They want $30 for it. I would snap it up if it was lower.

went to one of my local used game shops and did good, spent $15 and got the following

----------------------

Infiltrate

Smurf:Rescue In Gargamel's Castle

Codebreaker

Chase

Snoopy And The Red Baron

Cookie Monster Munch

NES

---------------------

Yoshi's Cookie

Super Off Road

Super Pitfall

$3.13 @ Goodwill for Interact Mobile Monitor For PS2. No power supply (found a suitable replacement) or mounting clips, but it works like a charm. The LCD still had the protective packing film on it.

Lucky dog. My local thrift has one too. They want $30 for it. I would snap it up if it was lower.

No kidding. My local Goodwill usually overprices the fool out of everything. I'm convinced this was a fluke. :lol:

Pretty productive Sunday and Today:

Intellivision Vectron: $3

Intellivision Ice Trek: $3

Intellivision He-Man: $4

N64 power brick: $3

Sony controllers: $4 each

Final Fantasy X, complete, no scratches, haven't tested it yet: $8, but on the half price color so $4.

post-8107-127777158447_thumb.jpg

No kidding. My local Goodwill usually overprices the fool out of everything. I'm convinced this was a fluke. :lol:

Y, Goodwill is kidding themselves in my area too. I saw common Genesis games in original boxes like Troy Aikman Football and RBI Baseball for $8 a piece. They are seriously smoking something. Same store has a N64 console with power adapter and one controller, but it is completely missing a memory pack (probably someone stole it out of the console), and they have $25 marked on it. Wow, they will hold onto that one for a while. I saw a Genesis II console only with full motherboard stickered at $25. I told the manager they would never sell it at that price so he "reduced" it to $15. They have now had it at that price for over a month. Imagine that...