IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Bandai Golf for the NES was one of my favorite games as a kid. Not sure why. $4 per game is a decent price for Sega CD and Saturn games. Those don't turn up as often in the wild.

Chris

Around here, you can usually get them for $1-$2 each, sometimes even cheaper. I think I am going to go back and get the Saturn and CD ones, and maybe look through the genesis ones for rares. If nothing else, it will give me something to do during lunch.

Cliff

A bit of an update on my $15 ebay mystery genesis controller (link). It's a homebuilt unit, made with both plywood and particle board, with a genesis controller simply wired to the buttons and left floating in there. It needed some TLC. I had to reattach the ground to the last two switches, twist-tie the genesis controller board to a glued block for stability, hammer it back together with a bit of glue (only brad nails held it together and they were losing grip), drill a hole for the cord, and I bought it a 1/4" plexiglass bottom since it came without anything there.

cherry brand microswitches throughout. I didn't catch a brand on anything else in there, but I didn't really look hard either.

The stick really has too long of a throw for anything but fighting games, bluemax on atari was very hard to play with it, but street fighter 2 does fine.

it really dwarfs the genesis3.

arcade1jpg.th.jpgarcade2.th.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

Went to Goodwill today and saw a ton of Genesis, Sega CD, and Sega Saturn stuff along with some NES and SNES stuff. Problem was, they wanted $4 a cart/CD. I still ended up with a Tengen Gauntlet for the NES, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, and Bandai Golf. Hopefully I can go back in the next few days and talk them down.

Hopefully, there weren't any rare Saturn RPG games there; otherwise, you are going to go back and find out "Sumguy" beat you to them when you could have been "Sumguy".

At my GoodWill, every other Saturday is 50%-off days. So, what was $6 or a normal day, now becomes $3. There is a lesser chance of finding newer games, and you have to avoid being bum-rushed by the Amish people and their obsession with wicker baskets, but if your wallet does not have a Ft. Knox located at the bottom of it, it's worth it! My GW also likes to keep all the CD-based games locked up in a glass jewelry-type display case up next to the checkout lanes. Too many lowlifes were stealing CD's...

I am about to head out to the sales right now but have some pretty cool stuff I added to my collection last night. As usual, I hit up the local record store. I brought a bunch of books to trade that my wife has already read, plus she has the Kindle now. They bought around 25-30 books and I got $85 trade which I was thrilled with. Here's what I found:

post-4103-128481611268_thumb.jpg

$1.99 - GC Fantastic Four - complete (had points to get this one half-off)

$3.99 - GC NBA Street Vol. 2 - complete

$2.99 - GC The Chronicles of Narnia - complete (points for half-off)

$2.49 - N64 Nascar 2000 - complete (points for half-off)

$11.99 - PS2 Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - complete

$15.99 - Wii Guitar Hero 5 - complete

$9.99 - PS3 Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - complete

$1.99 - GEN Columns - complete

$3.97 - GBA Rapala Pro Fishing - complete

$8.99 - DS Disney's A Christmas Carol - complete

$1.99 - DC AeroWings 2: Airstrike - complete

$4.99 - SNES Mighty Morphin Power Rangers - cart only

$1.99 - 2600 Blackjack - tele-games cart only, end label seems different than other games by Sears

$3.99 - 2600 Mario Bros. - cart only and I was overcharged on this one because when I asked about the prices on the Atari games, I was told $1.99 each. Oh well, this was a label upgrade for me and I'm happy with it.

Pouring rain today, so no yard sales, but I did make a thrift run, so not a total loss.

Found all these Sega Genesis games today at one thrift:

Whoever donated these must have been a big RGP fan.

These had box but no manual icon_mad.gif for $.90 each

Gemfire

Master of Monsters

Starflight

Shining in the Darkness

Sesame Street Counting Cafe

General Chaos (this had the manual)

These were all loose in a plastic bag for $5.05

Gargoyles

Warsong

Uncharted Waters

Wacky Worlds Creativity Studio

Mercs

Caesars Palace

Aladdin

Shaq Fu

Tecmo Super Baseball

Sonic Classics

Sonic Spinball

Adventures of Batman and Robin

Not bad for under $12!

Hit a flea market today and picked up:

Nintendo Game and Watch - Bomb Sweeper, great condition, has battery door - $2

Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Epic Series DVD set (with Cylon head box) - $18

Also bought a bunch of SMS games from a guy, wouldn't really call it a cheap though! Got 9 handpicked games complete with boxes and manuals and a pair of 3D glasses in box all for $75

Just got home from the Portland Retro Gaming Expo. Here's what I came home with:

PRGE2010_Finds.JPG

King's Quest 1 (VGA re-release - DOS) $5

Space Quest II (DOS) $5

Leisure Suit Larry III (DOS) $5

10 Game Boy clam shells $5

Radio Shack "Whiz Kids" comic book $1

Harmony Cartridge (Deluxe version) $80

Super Famicom controller $15

Legendary Axe (case, manual, game - TG16) $10

PRGE 2010 souvenir cartridge $5 - Just a common Atari cart re-labeled with a special PRGE label.

Atari VCS paddle controllers $5

Genesis Game Genie manual plus a bunch of code update pamphlets $3

Sol Feace manual $1

Sherlock Holmes manual $1

Performance Super Pad 64 (N64) $5 - Nice find, because I've been looking for one of these for quite some time.

Atari VCS dust cover $5

Super Monaco GP (Genesis) CIB $1

Batman (Genesis) CIB $5

Herzog Zwei (Genesis) CIB $15

Assault Rigs (PSX) CIB $9

Baseball Stars II (NES) $21

Donkey Kong 3 (NES) $10

Not pictured, but while I was in Portland, I also bought an unofficial Super Mario World guide, written by Zach Meston, and an official Railroad Tycoon guide (for the original DOS game) at a local used book store. Pretty steep at $9 each, but I love old game guides.

Chris

Edited by Jibbajaba

One of the little thrifts near me had a sign out front on Saturday, "50% off"! Well I just had to go in. This place is sometimes a goldmine, other times not so much. Like most they seem to price some things way too high.

A few weeks ago they got in two Commodore 1702 monitors and ticketed them $18.99 each. Not a bad price at all. These monitors are GREAT for old school game systems, or for Commodore 64's also. ;)

I went in and scouted around, no new games or systems, but the 1702's were marked down, TWICE! First time to $5.99 then finally $2.99! I got both of them for $1.50 each!!! :D

Coolest thing is, not only do they work but the control covers on the front are intact. They are now proudly servicing a Genny and a PS1 console.

Only hit up one thrift and this one is teeming with gaming stuff to be discovered. I was digging through the power supply bin and picked these up for $5 total.

post-22364-128501859372_thumb.jpg

Others that I passed on were a Tandy portable computer power supply. here's a pic.

Tandy26-3804-h450.png

And a PSone power supply. If anybody wants me to go back and get the Tandy power supply, let me know.

I found a few treasures today and everything was acquired with trade I mainly received from books I bought at Saturday's sales. I paid no more than 50 cents per book and came out with some unusual counseling-type books and some other music related books. The store gave me $97.52 trade for 14 books, 2 DVDs, 1 CD, 2 common N64 carts and about 6 common Atari carts that were all missing the end labels.

I used all $97.52 in trade, the cash total I owed was .38 cents. Here's what I got!

post-4103-128504774027_thumb.jpg

I was actually really excited with what I received in the mail today from an ebay seller. I found someone selling brand-new, double-disc replacement Gamecube cases. They weren't cheap but the two-disc titles are the only Cube games I have in my collection that don't have really nice cases. Now my Metal Gear Twin Snakes, Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil's and a few others will look great! I am so OCD about my cases. :D

$8.00 - BLU-RAY/DVD COMBO Toy Story 2 - (had points to get half-off and the Disney Movie Rewards code worked)

$6.99 - DS Bleach: The Blade Of Fate - complete

$5.99 - DS Big Mutha Truckers - complete

:o $1.99 - PS1 D - complete and the discs look like they have never been touched, simply amazing condition!

$1.99 - PS1 Resident Evil - complete and this disc is very nice too!

$11.99 - PS1 Resident Evil 2 - complete and again, nice discs!

$2.99 - PS1 Namco Museum Vol. 3 - complete

$1.99 - PS1 40 Winks - complete

$1.99 - SMS Columns - complete

$2.99 - PS2 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 - complete

$8.99 - GC Phantasy Star Online Episode III C.A.R.D. Revolution - complete

$8.99 - GC Goldeneye Rogue Agent - complete

$5.99 - GC Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius - complete

$1.99 - They refurbished a disc for me

$24.99 - my buddy was with me and wanted Rainbow Six Vegas 2: Limited Edition for the PS3 so he paid me cash and I used my trade to buy it

I had a lot of fun today! :party:

Only hit up one thrift and this one is teeming with gaming stuff to be discovered. I was digging through the power supply bin and picked these up for $5 total.

post-22364-128501859372_thumb.jpg

I just got my hands on one of the Colecovision power supplies for $4 this past weekend, myself. Which, as it turns out, was exactly what was needed to get my friend's boxed Colecovision up and running again. Stupid power design meant we thought the system had an internal issue, when it was just that the original brick lost one of the voltage lines.