IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

"Man, I'm shopping at the wrong Goodwill"

Why do you say that?

Well, if he's thinking what I'm thinking, it's because our Goodwills don't have any of this cool stuff, EVER! icon_frown.gif

I just stopped at a Salvation Army down the road from me during lunch. Nothing classic related, or if it was modern any good. They had two Xbox '06 Top Spins. That's about it.

Exactly. All I ever see at my local Goodwill are PS2s, PSOnes, and Sega systems. Never once have I gone in there and found anything from Atari or Nintendo on display. I like finding that diamond in the rough for cheap, which is something I can't do going to Digital Press or stores like that. Even the Meadowlands Flea Market sucks lately, unless I count that Super NES that the seller had sitting in a puddle of water, or the Donkey Kong Country cart that was so dirty it looked like it was fished out of a landfill.

-B

Other than old sports titles, things dried up completely about 8-10 months ago in the thrifts, etc. I don't bother as much anymore unless I'm in the neighborhood of something. Most of what look for isn't particularly rare, and probably the higher price I pay online is likely offset by the gas and time I'm not consuming.

"Man, I'm shopping at the wrong Goodwill"

Why do you say that?

Well, if he's thinking what I'm thinking, it's because our Goodwills don't have any of this cool stuff, EVER! icon_frown.gif

I just stopped at a Salvation Army down the road from me during lunch. Nothing classic related, or if it was modern any good. They had two Xbox '06 Top Spins. That's about it.

Exactly. All I ever see at my local Goodwill are PS2s, PSOnes, and Sega systems. Never once have I gone in there and found anything from Atari or Nintendo on display. I like finding that diamond in the rough for cheap, which is something I can't do going to Digital Press or stores like that. Even the Meadowlands Flea Market sucks lately, unless I count that Super NES that the seller had sitting in a puddle of water, or the Donkey Kong Country cart that was so dirty it looked like it was fished out of a landfill.

-B

Its not Atari, but...

I picked up 174 SNES games (no dupes-26 sports titles)- Included are Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Fun-n-Games, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Battletoads Battlemania, Super Double Dragon, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Ogre Battle, & Castlevania Dracula X (many more $5-15 titles)....nice find for only $125.

I didnt even haggle this one. The guy asked for that price, so I said sure. Thank you!

Wow, that's quite a deal!

Its not Atari, but...

I picked up 174 SNES games (no dupes-26 sports titles)- Included are Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Secret of Mana, Fun-n-Games, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Battletoads Battlemania, Super Double Dragon, Final Fantasy 2 & 3, Ogre Battle, & Castlevania Dracula X (many more $5-15 titles)....nice find for only $125.

I didnt even haggle this one. The guy asked for that price, so I said sure. Thank you!

Thanks it filled a lot of holes in my collection. The cheaper games that are a pain in the ass to buy because of shipping, not so much a pain in the ass anymore. Next step is to get rid of the Atari stuff I have to make room for more SNES.

Its not Atari, but...

Thanks it filled a lot of holes in my collection. The cheaper games that are a pain in the ass to buy because of shipping, not so much a pain in the ass anymore. Next step is to get rid of the Atari stuff I have to make room for more SNES.

Assuming they are loose carts, I've got quite a few box only 2600 and SNES I'd like to fill. So if you have cart only dupes you plan to list let me know and I'll shoot you a list of what I need.

AX

Its not Atari, but...

Assuming they are loose carts, I've got quite a few box only 2600 and SNES I'd like to fill. So if you have cart only dupes you plan to list let me know and I'll shoot you a list of what I need.

AX

YEah send me a list of carts you need. I do have a bit of mulitples now.

I've only had 2 really good thrift store finds. The first was a boxed Sega Saturn for $30, inside were the system, 2 controllers(1 has a non function right shoulder button), a power cord, an RF adapter, 2 inserts, a spare internal battery and 3 games, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter and World Series Baseball 98. There was also a Sega Stunner light gun for it at the thrift store on a nearby shelf but at the time I didn't realize it was for the Saturn and when I did and went back it was gone. :'( I've since purchased Astal, Gex and Clock Work Knight for it, all very fun games. Gex being by far my favorite.

post-28757-129667839649_thumb.jpg

post-28757-129667840494_thumb.jpg

My other great find was a Nintendo Virtual Boy in fantastic condition at a local store, also for $30. I was kind of hesitant to buy it at first(no clue why), I thought about it for a few days and decided what the hell why not. So I went back and picked it up for $30, it came with 2 games, Mario Tennis and Mario Clash. I then fell in love with the thing and its been my favorite vintage system of all the ones I own since. I have since bought 2 more games for it, Wario Land and Red Alarm. It unfortunately started suffering the ribbon cable connection issues that they all suffer eventually a few weeks ago. But fortunately I was able to find a man in the Netherlands whom is experienced with soldering the connections that are at fault. There is a temporary fix you can do that involves heating the displays in the oven to resoften the glue that attach the ribbons to the display but I wanted a permanent fix and that one only lasts a few weeks. Just got an email from the guy in the Netherlands today and he says they are all fixed!

post-28757-129667841736_thumb.jpg

I've only had 2 really good thrift store finds. The first was a boxed Sega Saturn for $30

My other great find was a Nintendo Virtual Boy in fantastic condition at a local store, also for $30.

Those are some pretty sweet deals there, brotha! Welcome to AA, by the way!

Thanks. :) My recent craigslist find of a nearly brand new Atari Lynx II brought me here. I think it may becoming a collecting addiction, as unlike every other console I own games for it are cheap. Yesterday I traded in an old Game Boy Color and a spare copy of Links Awakening for 2 boxed Lynx games, Crystal Mines II and Shanghai, at a local gaming store that specializes in retro games. Shanghai is addicting! Killed my first set of batteries playing it last night. :P

Edited by A_Locomotive

I got these items yesterday, courtesy of the State of Kentucky. As part of my Vocational Rehab for school:

100_0653.jpg

Dragon Naturally Speaking Version 11

Franklin Advance Dictionary & Thesaurus with Spell Correction (mainly got it for the spell checker)

2GB Livescribe Pulse Smartpen, with extra notebooks and extra replacement ink cartages

Not seen, Office 2010

I haven't been to yard sales in a while but went last weekend, before the crazy cold weather. I found some good stuff but still haven't really went through it. I got a lot of $1 DVDs and one of them is worth at least $40, called "GAMERA". I never heard of it, the DVD is on ADV Films.

$42 - 37 DVDs, most were a dollar each, only a few were 2 each.

$44 - 10 Blu-Ray Movies

$3 - Gamecube Monopoly Party (complete)

$3 - Gamecube Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 (complete)

$3 - PS2 Tetris Worlds (complete)

$.25 - Halloween VHS (Limited Edition, Numbered, Only 40,000, has cool Keychain inside too!)

$1 - Dan Brown CD Audio Book

$1 - N64 Zelda Ocarina of Time

$1 - Motorhead "Inferno" CD

$3 - Maze Atari 2600 Sears Pic Label

$3 - 3 Woodstock DVDs and Booklets (looks like from a set but doesn't have outer packaging)

$5 - PS2 System (got it with all cords, a memory cord but no controllers, I've since tested it and it also works perfectly)

$5 - Nintendo Gamecube System with the Power Cord and a Game Boy Player attached! (I had extra cords at home so didn't mind, I've since tested it and the system works perfectly!)

***I need the Game Boy Player Start-Up Disc if anyone has an extra. ;)

post-4103-129681250412_thumb.jpg post-4103-129681252022_thumb.jpg

post-4103-129681249714_thumb.jpg post-4103-129681251216_thumb.jpg

Was at an American Veterans thrift last week and found a bag of handhelds.

Fifteen bones for:

Big Screen Tetris handheld(lighted)

Playpal handheld(has Sega Master System games built in. Decent Sonic and Altered Beast)

Cheapo Handheld Blackjack game

Reissue Classic Mattel Baseball handheld(LED)

AND...wait for it...a Mario Brothers Game & Watch!!!

Took a bit of searching around but found new batteries for it and it works perfectly!

Outside is slightly marred but pretty clean(seems nearly all are this way).

Inside is perfect and screens are awesome.

Best thrift score I can remember as of late.

Hit a flea market today and found a couple of nice things

Kirby Super Star SNES loose - $3 (goes for $25-30 on ebay pretty often)

and two vintage hand held games (I can't resist these old things!)

Bambino UFO Master Blaster Station - $10

Entex Space Invader - $10

Not my pics, but they look the same.

mstrblstr2.jpg1upspaceinvaders.jpg

post-4103-129700355888_thumb.jpg

I hit a few yard sales yesterday and saw an Atari Flashback 2 system in the box for 5 bucks so I picked it up and was going to pay for it. An older guy, maybe late 60's or so saw that I had it and asked if I liked Atari. So, I stated that I enjoy the classics. He then said he has five 2600's and about 230 games that he's been looking to sell...I tried to hold back my excitement and it was easy once he told me how much he wants: $375! :o

Well, I asked him about piecing it out of course so I could just see what he had and maybe get a few gems for a couple bucks each or something. Of course, he wants to just sell it all at once. We exchanged numbers and I gave him a call yesterday afternoon and set up a time to come take a look. I didn't see anything too exciting but also didn't go through the entire tote of games. We went back and forth on price with me starting at $150 for everything and him not being too thrilled with that. I haven't seen much Atari in the wild out here in Phoenix so I ended up buying it all and most likely overpaying at the final price of $225. Oh well, it's going to be fun to go through everything and have a project with the systems. I see a Colecovision in there too!

On a side note, was the Flashback 2 a good deal at $5? I've never had one. I'll probably be having a big 2600 cart sale in the Marketplace soon but first, I need to see what's in the tote! :thumbsup:

Looks like you did good at $150 if that's what you paid although I'm confused since you said you started at $150 and he wasn't thrilled and you just bought the whole thing. I think if the systems all work and you clean them up you could sell what you don't need and make your money back and then some and just keep the games you wanted.

Looks like you did good at $150 if that's what you paid although I'm confused since you said you started at $150 and he wasn't thrilled and you just bought the whole thing. I think if the systems all work and you clean them up you could sell what you don't need and make your money back and then some and just keep the games you wanted.

I wish I did get it at $150, that's where I started and he was at $375. The best I could get everything for was $225 and I'm not too happy with that. I really wanted to be at $200 where the games would be less than a dollar each and then the systems would help pay for some of it like you said, assuming they work. I'm really just going to be trying to make some of the money back, not looking to get rich off this deal and won't with the price I paid. I just want to keep some stuff I don't have and trade/sell off the extra. The best I've seen so far because it was on top is a Star Strike and I just went through the manuals to find the matching manual. I also see Earth Dies Sreaming and a few other uncommon games but I'm about to dive in and see if there is something good at the bottom.

I really have to get rid of some to have grocery money. ;)

Picked up the following this weekend.

At Play N Trade:

Dreamcast Keyboard $9.99

At Disc Replay:

Dreamcast: Evolution $1.99 complete

Metropolis Street Racer $3.99 complete

Phanasty Star Online w/Sonic Adventures 2 Demo Disc $2.99 complete

Shenmue $6.99 complete

Playstation 2: From Russia With Love $2.00 complete

GBA: Pelican Flip Light 99 cents

Game Com Pocket Pro system for $37.99. It has the lighted screen feature, the battery cover, and the styllus. The battery backup needs to be replaced and the screen has an 1/8 inch blank line running top to bottom 3/4 of the way on the right.

So I bought a Playstation console, no hook ups or controllers. It was labeled $29.99

And I got a Silver GameCube, no hook ups or controllers. It was labeled $19.99

Both tags were red. Can we guess which color tag was on Goodwill's 99cent special the start of this week?

Oh yes, RED. :D

I also bought a very nice clean SunCom Slik Stik. It was Greentaged, but it was 99cents too so I was like what the heck.

Managed to find a few good things this weekend:

SNES games - $10

Super Adventure Island

Super Mario World

Super Mario All-stars

DKC 2

Craftsman breaker bar - $10 Should make rebuilding my engine a lot easier than an old torque wrench and a pipe :D

Came across my first Atari Lynx 2 in the wild, had to do a double take when I first saw it. It had the cloth bag/case and Klax. I only had $15 left and he was set at $25 :(. Should be there next weekend since no one around here probably knows what it is.

Found a few things out on the town. Picked up Star Wars for the Game Gear for $2 and Metroid Prime w/bonus Metroid Prime 2 Echoes for $3. The same place also had Animal Crossing for the GameCube for $5, and I've heard good things about it so I figured why not? Another place had the Collectors Edition of Doom 3 for the original Xbox priced at $10. I figured with it having not only Doom 3, but also Ultimate Doom and Doom II it was like getting 3 (excellent) games at under $4 a piece so I splurged a bit. For $20 overall, I'm pretty happy with all I recieved.

Went to the a flea market with my son today. Right off the bat we found a few records and a super cheap Star Trek season one blu ray set. We walked around for a good 2 hours without finding anything game related. It was starting to look pretty bleak. Then, we found a box with a "Warlocks Games & Comics" bumper sticker on it underneath a table. Jackpot! Inside the box was a Jaguar CD unit, Blue Lightning disc, 2 Jag power cords and a loose copy of Cybermorph along with some kick-ass mid 90's Image comics. All bagged and boarded.

So now we're home, testing the Jag CD and it get's the red screen on every start up. We've cleaned the board contacts and the pins on the top - still nothing. I'm contemplating scrubbing the pins with very fine grit sandpaper or a green 3M pad. I've had success with cartridge games using this method so hopefully we'll have ourselves a working Jag CD in about an hour or two.

Edited by GregadetH