IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Got a Mario Deluxe for GameBoy Color last night at Goodwill for 99 cents. They had one other game that I left behind (Mary Kate an Ashley: Corporate Takedown :evil: )

They also put out a bunch of controllers, one SNES with a good cord, one with a bad, a NES max pad, a Genny 6 button pad, and a bunch of regular genny pads all for $1.99 each. I left the regular genny pads there (rough!). Bought the nintendo stuff and 6 button.

So what is it about old, inferior movie formats that makes collectors salivate? Not the heavyweights like VHS or DVD, of course; we've seen plenty of those already. No, I'm talking about the failed formats, the never-quite-mainstream formats, and the just plain weird formats. Of course we don't actually watch them. After all, compared to our spangly decked-out Blu-rays, these old things look like crap! Yet we still think we've found the jackpot when we find one for sale somewhere.

I'm as guilty as the next collector. Just today I added some new VideoCDs to the library:

post-6115-0-30594800-1338674304_thumb.jpg

As far as I can tell, they are actually legit. Spider-Man came from Hong Kong, the rest from Malaysia.

I also found Hulk, and so now I get to boast I have it on not one, but two offbeat formats:

post-6115-0-75182400-1338674550_thumb.jpg

Sad, no? :)

Ok had some nicey nice finds today but first I got this snes lot a few days ago. Cost me $20 but I had to spend $30 in gas and two hours driving for it.

100_1981.jpg

So todays finds.

Got the pokeballs for $3 and the dvd's a quarter each ($.75 trade at gamestore)

100_1982.jpg

Then got this gamecube lot for $20

100_1983.jpg

Got this gamecube lot and ps1, ps2 games, and wavebird (no remote) $25

100_1984.jpg

Now to make the FF7 even sweeter take a look at the back!

100_1985.jpg

Also nabbed a logitech ps2 wireless controller w/receiver $1 (no battery cover)

Great day at the flea market today. I'm not going to itemize everything, but here's the overall haul, from more than a dozen different vendors:

- 14 PlayStation games, all CIB and relatively common, mostly very clean

- 6 VCS games, loose, inc. Bump 'n' Jump, Flag Capture picture label (!)

- 4 N64 games, all loose carts, inc. Mario Party 2 & 3 (!) and Super Smash Bros.

- 2 CIB Dreamcast games (The Grinch & Wetrix+)

- 1 CV game (Mouse Trap), 1 SNES game (Mecarobot Golf :lol:), 1 CIB Genesis game (Zoop) and one manual (Technocop), 1 GB game (Bart vs. the Juggernauts)

- pink Konami Justifier gun (!!!)

- Atari Force comic #1

- Pink Floyd Obscured By Clouds remastered CD (squeaky-clean disc)

- TI-99/4A with power supply, speech synthesizer and 12 games including Parsec (getting this fulfills a childhood dream, assuming it all works -- fingers crossed)

- Intellivision ECS, including power supply and keyboard, with three random loose carts (my reaction to seeing this was almost identical to Gandalf's reaction in the first LOTR movie when Bilbo disappears)

Total cost for everything was about $125. The only downside was being in humid 80+ degree weather for five hours, which ultimately gave me a migraine that I slept off this evening. I haven't tested much of it yet, but the ECS works perfectly!

It stuns me how often TI stuff appears in these posts. I've never seen any in the wild that I recall... ever. Even in the 80's and 90's when I was pioneering the thrifting and yardsaling for games.

I am in the same camp. I would LOVE to run across an old TI machine at a flea market. I never had one, but used to see them in stores and mess with them once in a while. Loved them.

The local Game Traders at Flea World has all their 8 bit carts buy 2, get 1 free, with pre-crash games all $1/each. They had three 2600 games on the lower shelf marked $9.99 each: Blueprint, James Bond 007, and GI Joe Cobra Strike. I also found an Image's No Escape. I asked if they were all b2g1 and he said "well, no, those three are marked separate but I'll give you all four for $10." Seemed like a good deal: $2.50 each for four games I didn't have.

Made out like a bandit today B) Every time I tell myself "I was just here last week, I'm sure they have the same crap this week." I end up finding something awesome.

They had three Genesis controllers: white buttons, red buttons, six buttons. I took the sixer, mine's not in the best shape and could use a friend.

Browsed the bookshelves and found a copy of AD&D 1st Edition PHB, which I've actually been thinking about getting into for a while now. There was a 2nd Ed PHB next to it, so I figured I might as well grab that one too. Obviously Mr. Steve Wei was a true gamer, there was some sort of food stuck to the back cover B) 1st edition was signed "Greg Wei 92", the original "thieves looting the demon statue's eye" cover, 6th printing. ...and to think, I was going to spend way more than 60¢ on it at eBay...

Got a bunch of other sweet books too. Got The Martian Chronicles, and I was looking up Ray Bradbury to remind myself what else he wrote, and I guess he died the other day =(

Good stuff, Maynard! I have hope then for tomorrow as I go out into our small community. I can actually hit EVERY yard sale in my town in one day, usually in about three hours. Wish me luck!

Are there any strategies for thift store shopping. I hit up three stores one afternoon while my car was in the shop (all 3 within walking distance of the shop). 1st store had the most interesting stuff, some Intellivision games and Odyssey II titles. 2nd store the only thing I would say was even close were some Atari joysticks from a Flashback 2 or 3. 3rd store nada. Went to the large Goodwill store the next day, nothing but a few dozen XBOX and PS2 titles.

Is it pure dumb luck or do you have to make it known to the folks running the place that you are interested in specific items.

Are there any strategies for thift store shopping. I hit up three stores one afternoon while my car was in the shop (all 3 within walking distance of the shop). 1st store had the most interesting stuff, some Intellivision games and Odyssey II titles. 2nd store the only thing I would say was even close were some Atari joysticks from a Flashback 2 or 3. 3rd store nada. Went to the large Goodwill store the next day, nothing but a few dozen XBOX and PS2 titles.

Is it pure dumb luck or do you have to make it known to the folks running the place that you are interested in specific items.

Mostly luck for me. My great aunt who is retired donates some time to a local thrift store and she keeps an eye out for me. She hasn't found me anything for some time though.

B

It wasn't at a thrift store, but this weekend I found The Raiden Project for the PS1. I paid way too much for it, but I've been wanting this disc for a long time, and the closest I've come before was an empty case at a Goodwill several years back (and I kinda still wish I'd offered to buy the empty case anyway).

Other than an even more obscure PC release, this contains the only home version Raiden II, which is one of my two favorite entries in the series, along with Raiden DX.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Is it pure dumb luck...

Yes.

...the closest I've come before was an empty case at a Goodwill several years back (and I kinda still wish I'd offered to buy the empty case anyway).

You should've. I found Contra Hard Corps (Genesis) at Goodwill once, but I opened the case and IIRC Mortal Kombat was inside instead. She let me have the case for 50¢.

I still haven't found a cart to put inside it, though.

It can also depend on where you live. If everything has been built up in the last 15-20 years like around here, then you are less likely to find older stuff at the local thrifts and yard sales.

You should've. I found Contra Hard Corps (Genesis) at Goodwill once, but I opened the case and IIRC Mortal Kombat was inside instead. She let me have the case for 50¢.

I still haven't found a cart to put inside it, though.

Ha, I did the same thing at a yard sale where the guy had an empty Contra Hard Corps case (with manual). He had a bunch of other games that I also bought, so it didn't seem too weird. I got a loose cart a few months later.

At Goodwill today, found a case that holds five carts, and it was holding four M Network carts that I hoped were 2600s, for $3 total.

One of them still had a label on it, it was Burger Time.

I got them home, and tried them out...

...Kool Aid Man...Burger Time......Burger Time.........Kool Aid Man... =| What. The. Heck.

Also got one of those wireless Logitech Precision controllers for the Xbox (not 360). $8 seemed like a bit much to me, but it's a pretty decent controller, and the d-pad passed the Street Fighter II test. I'd much rather have the wired version, but all of the evidence I've been able to find shows that only one was ever produced and I will never own it :mad:

Got a Virtual boy with no stand,1 controller and 1 game(Mario tennis) for $4.i also got a boxed Microvision game(bowling) game with Sea battle under it for $1.87.and is goodwill supposed to be high because when i go to them they have consoles and controllers for high prices.They had a complete PS1(controllers,cords,) for $25,at another thrift store i go to a PS1 is like $4-5 and games are $5,at other thrift stores there like $2-3. Im in GA. by the way so is it my Goodwill's in my state or what?