IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Haven't had a find worth posting in a good while, but this seemed to merit a photo - Went to my Goodwill after getting back from vacation, and I don't know if this had been accumulating over the past week, or if this was from a collector's rummage, but all of this was there yesterday:

find712.jpg

A huge Sears Telegames pong called "Speedway" that I had never seen before...has onboard sound, runs on 6 "D" cells and has Hockey, Race and Demolition as selectable games...the box is much prettier than the games....$4.99

Colecovision Star Trek...$1.99

2600 Harbor Escape by Panda...$1.99

NES Bible Buffet...$.99

Genesis Master of Monsters (Complete)...$1.99

Left a bunch of common games behind, as well as a bagged Colecovision with the 2600 adapter marked $34.99. Aside from the prices, it reminded me of the good old days...

Haven't had a find worth posting in a good while, but this seemed to merit a photo - Went to my Goodwill after getting back from vacation, and I don't know if this had been accumulating over the past week, or if this was from a collector's rummage, but all of this was there yesterday:

find712.jpg

A huge Sears Telegames pong called "Speedway" that I had never seen before...has onboard sound, runs on 6 "D" cells and has Hockey, Race and Demolition as selectable games...the box is much prettier than the games....$4.99

NES Bible Buffet...$.99

Left a bunch of common games behind, as well as a bagged Colecovision with the 2600 adapter marked $34.99. Aside from the prices, it reminded me of the good old days...

Dang, you really get the goods man. When you were selling at MGC you always had some of the best stuff.

It great to see you make a post. My wife and I saw your twin this morning here in Tennessee. Could have been your older brother (he had a little more of hint of "Fred Thompson" - with hair) wearing a Hawaiian shirt, same height and everything.

We hit the goodwill and only got some empty slimline cases (10 for $1) five stacks, and a power supply for a buck that I can use for Jamma < TV conversions.

I've not had a good game score around here in weeks.

Well, you guys are way luckier than me. In the last year the Salvation Army here in Hot Springs has had the same three text label Atari commons every time I've gone in and the other thrift shop has tons of 8 tracks but I have yet to see anything resembling a game cartridge. Both retro shops closed this year and now all that is left is Gamestop. ?

find712.jpg

NES Bible Buffet...$.99

good score. That is actually not a bad price for a Colecovision+adapter if it works and has all of the hook ups. I would have picked that up and sent it off to Yurkie.

Dang, you really get the goods man. When you were selling at MGC you always had some of the best stuff....

It seems I MISSED some of the best stuff this time...my fears about this find were confirmed by a fellow local collector yesterday, who told me that the motherlode arrived ay my Goodwill (I'm there 3-4 times a week over lunch) while I was on vacation. Speculation is that a collector who died must have had his collection donated to goodwill by his unknowing family, and it came out over 3 days. He got over 100 CIB Gameboy and PS1 games, but even this was leftovers. Someone else picked up a bunch of mint CIB NES games that Included Little Samson, Bonk's Adventure, and Flintstones 2 - which the finder just sold on Ebay for over $2,200!!! What I found were apparently the scraps...that'll teach me to go on vacation! I can't get over a feeling of betrayal that the Goodwill I have been so faithful to over the years allowed a score like this to go the one week of the year I'm not around ;) Just more motivation to keep going, I guess...win some, lose some.

Dang, you really get the goods man. When you were selling at MGC you always had some of the best stuff....

It seems I MISSED some of the best stuff this time...my fears about this find were confirmed by a fellow local collector yesterday, who told me that the motherlode arrived ay my Goodwill (I'm there 3-4 times a week over lunch) while I was on vacation. Speculation is that a collector who died must have had his collection donated to goodwill by his unknowing family, and it came out over 3 days. He got over 100 CIB Gameboy and PS1 games, but even this was leftovers. Someone else picked up a bunch of mint CIB NES games that Included Little Samson, Bonk's Adventure, and Flintstones 2 - which the finder just sold on Ebay for over $2,200!!! What I found were apparently the scraps...that'll teach me to go on vacation! I can't get over a feeling of betrayal that the Goodwill I have been so faithful to over the years allowed a score like this to go the one week of the year I'm not around ;) Just more motivation to keep going, I guess...win some, lose some.

I'm guessing your Goodwill doesn't do the auction thing?

Going to your thrift stores, is like winning the Toys R Us "throw anything you want in the cart" contest, in my juvenile mind.

Ha! Trust me, there are plenty of stretches where that's definitely not the case, no matter how much of an abundance of other people's old stuff there is in the greater Los Angeles area. ;) Speaking of which...

CIMG3714.jpg

Wangan Dead Heat was $1 at a hole-in-the-wall thrift. Skyrim was $4.99 at Salvation Army.

CIMG3697.jpg

Thrift finds:

Dreamcast House of the Dead 2 & Power Stone (missing manual)-$1 each

Chrono Cross Original Soundtrack-$4

Going to your thrift stores, is like winning the Toys R Us "throw anything you want in the cart" contest, in my juvenile mind.

HAHA! I remember the Toys R Us prize for some sweepstakes back in the mid 80s - put anything in the cart you could in 5 or 10 minutes. I actually entered that contest a lot and scouted out our local Toys R Us for how I would do it when I won - I had the Action figures/sci fi toys aisle as well as the computer/video game aisle with all of the tickets down pat. I just KNEW it would be me! and then the sadness .....

(I'm there 3-4 times a week over lunch)

Geez...and I felt like me going once or twice a week was too often...

Though I am trying to cut one of the places down to once every other week, or maybe longer. Everytime I go, I'm just disappointed that it's the same junk that's been there all month.j

Trust me, from a guy that knows excess. You can and will go crazy playing the "what could be out there" and the "I'm going to miss it" game. Be happy with your finds, but don't let the fear of missing something ruin your enjoyment of what you have already. I've lost perspective in the past. I'm doing my very best to run my collecting these days, not the other way around.

• Like 1

I hit two goodwills and a flea market today while getting lost racing a train while entertaining my children on a rural long stretch of road. It was great. I'll post some pics of the haul soon.

We do that from time to time here in Tehachapi, though it's mountain roads and passes - but still the same thing. Those are some great times with the kids, aren't they? :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the pics!

Trust me, from a guy that knows excess. You can and will go crazy playing the "what could be out there" and the "I'm going to miss it" game. Be happy with your finds, but don't let the fear of missing something ruin your enjoyment of what you have already. I've lost perspective in the past. I'm doing my very best to run my collecting these days, not the other way around.

Ever since I sold out my doubles and trade stock, and no longer "buy too sell", hunting is much more casual experience. But I 'd have to be made of stone to not let a CIB NES Flintstones 2 going out of the thrift I frequent while I'm on vacation bother me just a little... Gave me flashbacks to the time I just missed a boxed Vec & 15 boxed games about 15 years ago, but I'm good. :)

Ever since I sold out my doubles and trade stock, and no longer "buy too sell", hunting is much more casual experience. But I 'd have to be made of stone to not let a CIB NES Flintstones 2 going out of the thrift I frequent while I'm on vacation bother me just a little... Gave me flashbacks to the time I just missed a boxed Vec & 15 boxed games about 15 years ago, but I'm good. :)

I know what you mean. Even your story bothered me as I tried to fall asleep last night. It's allot of work to try and let that kind of thing slide. I'm wayyyy better than I was 20 years ago. If I got to a higher place where I could look down on the city, my mind would swim with thoughts of what could be out there. Good thing I'm not an astornaught. (Though some on AA would consider me an ass-tronaught.) :D

I haven't been buying, well, anything lately but I had a trade for the local game store and ended up coming out with $14 in store credit which was enough for a CIB Ultimate Qix for the Genesis. One of the few games I've been after without paying ebay prices and shipping for stuff so I was happy to actually find a local copy which realistically ended up being free.

post-2493-0-67739800-1342273037_thumb.jpg

Edited by AtariLeaf

Goodwill, found the Cranium Booster Box 2, maybe 40% of the cards are actually there (I'm assuming they swapped out a bunch of the cards for the ones that come with the game). Surprisingly, the one tub of clay that came with it is still pretty soft. Not that we really need more Cranium cards, but why not?

Saw this really sweet little guitar amp, only $8, looked like they shelled it out and completely handwired their own amp inside of it. It even came with a baggie with hand-written schematics, said something about "rodded Kalamazoo tube". Unfortunately, the speaker and the tubes are all missing, but I might have to come back for it if it's still there, would make for a fun project. Heck, it looks like tube prices on eBay aren't too bad (depending on which ones I need), and I could always plug it into my bigger amp (which, considering how tiny it is, is probably what they did anyway).

They also had a Frank Frazetta puzzle, Berzerker, still sealed. I was very tempted to get it, but I have no idea what I would do with it. I might have to rescue it if it's still there, though I'm sure someone will snatch it up to sell it on eBay :roll:

Had to go back and get that amp...it says "Rodded Amp. Kalamazoo Tuber".

After a little research, it looks like I have a modified vintage Kalamazoo brand amp from the 60s B)

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Kalamazoo/

Probably this one, judging by the holes in the control plate (one of which was filled in, and it looks like they painted the plate black):

http://www.rru.com/~meo/Guitar/Amps/Kalamazoo/M2/Images/photo-1.jpeg

Weird that they would take out the tubes and the speaker, then. I figured they parted them out for cash, but wouldn't it have been worth more all together?

I keep checking this thread for any pics of that HOT employee of Goodwill. Any news? |:)

I don't know about "hot", because I find nothing attractive in modern society's "anorexic + cake makeup + fake boobs = hot" view, but one of my exes works at Goodwill if that means anything...

I've seen some decent looking girls there every once in a while, but they must not keep the job for very long.