IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Probaly not worth anything, though....

Oh, I'm not worried about that, I just think it's pretty cool to have. And on closer inspection, I think I'm going to have to lower my "near-mint" rating a bit ;)

I've never bought something with the intent of reselling it, though if I were smart I probably would.

Visited the Dothan AL Flea Market (Sallies I think) and saw a big box full of super dusty woodies (sixish) Two other boxes of games. Scored a "Alpha Beam With Ernie" for $1. This was my second visit to this market last time was last fall I believe, and I think the two boxes of stuff were there last time. The third box had the VCS in the matching woody console case and could tell it was all from one owner with a boxed tele-games joystick and lots of manuals. Turns out this market doesn't have an ATM! Good for me though got a strict budget.

Fleazin'

7800 Ballblazer and Winter Games $3.50 each

2600 Spy Hunter $4

PS1 Grand Theft Auto 1 (black label) $3

XBOX Dino Crisis 3 $5

Genesis Pigskin Footbrawl (boxed, sun faded top) $4 (never even knew about this one. Precursor to Mutant League?)

And my steal of the summer...

Genesis Punisher (complete) $4!

What is wrong with Seattle? I've been hitting Goodwill's, Salvation Army's, St. Vincent de Paul's and various other thrift stores lately and there is literally no classic gaming merch. None. They usually have a few dozen Xbox games and some of those paper sleeve PC games you can buy at Target for $5. Nothing older than that and certainly no consoles.

About 10 years ago, I can remember finding boxes of Atari games. I bought my C64 at a Goodwill. Things were completely different than they are now.

I feel like somebody is getting a crack at the thrift store stuff upstream of the stores. Or maybe there is one or more hardcore collectors that know when they put new stuff out and they buy everything up before I get there.

Also, we have a really crappy used video game store ecosystem up here. There are a few pawn shops (Al's) and resellers (Pink Gorilla) but no flea markets, no independent game stores, nadda.

I've only recently started hunting again after a decade of doing other things. Am I missing something? What the hell happens to all of the classic games and gear in Seattle? Does Seattle have too high of a geek density?

Nothing really big this week, but last week I found a SegaCD Model 2, along with a Model 2 Genesis for $13. I already had a Model 1 SegaCD, so this adds to the collection of hardware variants.

However, the really interesting find last weekend was this little "gem":

post-6115-0-73295200-1342995779_thumb.jpg

Those of you who recognize this are now cringing in terror. The rest of you are about to. This is Yoko Ono's release with the Plastic Ono Band, featuring new hubby John Lennon. And, yeah. It's about what you'd expect.

Edited by FujiSkunk

Today at a yard sale, I picked up the following N64 games:

Dr. Mario 64 CIB

Mario Golf CIB

Mario Kart 64 CIB (including quick reference card)

All are in nice condition, and I was more than happy to pay the asking price of $2 each.

This is probably my biggest find of the year so far -- though my girlfriend did rather well earlier this summer when she snagged a sealed copy of Vice: Project Doom for next to nothing.

Nothing really big this week, but last week I found a SegaCD Model 2, along with a Model 2 Genesis for $13. I already had a Model 1 SegaCD, so this adds to the collection of hardware variants.

However, the really interesting find last weekend was this little "gem":

post-6115-0-73295200-1342995779_thumb.jpg

Those of you who recognize this are now cringing in terror. The rest of you are about to. This is Yoko Ono's release with the Plastic Ono Band, featuring new hubby John Lennon. And, yeah. It's about what you'd expect.

The Sega+Sega CD for $13 is a pretty good find. Something like that would never appear in the thrifts around here, and if I find them at a used game store.. easily $60.

Edited by cybercylon

Today at a yard sale, I picked up the following N64 games:

Dr. Mario 64 CIB

Mario Golf CIB

Mario Kart 64 CIB (including quick reference card)

All are in nice condition, and I was more than happy to pay the asking price of $2 each.

This is probably my biggest find of the year so far -- though my girlfriend did rather well earlier this summer when she snagged a sealed copy of Vice: Project Doom for next to nothing.

Very nice, easily $60 - $75 or more. Was MK the players choice or original?

Very nice, easily $60 - $75 or more. Was MK the players choice or original?

Thanks! It was the Players' Choice version of MK64, so I assume that lowers the value a bit. Either way I'm not immediately planning to sell it, though I'm not a N64 collector let alone a CIB N64 collector -- and yet CIB games for the system keep ending up in my possession, for some reason.

Embarrassing admission: I almost didn't buy MK64, since I already have a loose copy and mindlessly passed it up because of that. But when I got to the car I looked at my girlfriend, said "What the hell am I doing?" and walked right back and got it. They also had a loose GoldenEye and a CIB hockey game which I probably could've gotten for the same price, but I didn't need the former or want the latter, and I figured I should leave some games for them to sell with the system anyway.

BTW the whole box of N64 stuff wasn't originally out for sale, but when I asked about "old video games", the wife prodded the husband into getting the box from the house, with a good-natured "Hey, aren't we supposed to be getting rid of stuff?" subtext going on. And that's what yard sales are supposed to be about, after all!

The Sega+Sega CD for $13 is a pretty good find.

I got a model 2 Genny+CD at Goodwill a while back for only $5 (probably posted about it here), but it didn't come with any hookups (besides a set of two RCAs), so it set me back another $15 to get an AC adapter for the CD =|

At least it was a multi-adapter on clearance, so I use it for tons of other things too.

Hit a few local game stoeres and fleas Sunday and found a few goodies.

NES: $1.43 each

3-D Worldrunner Acclaim 1987

Rampart Jaleco 1992

Shadowgate Kemco 1989

Wario's Woods Nintendo 1994

Atari 2600: $6.99

Ghostbusters Activision 1985

Edited by Shephda

I had a pretty good Saturday at yard sales this last weekend. I already sold two buy it now's on ebay. Here is what I got:

$20 - 3 Walt Disney Treasures DVD Sets (Limited + Numbered Tin Cases) - the Goofy one already sold on ebay for $40

$2 - 4 Pokemon Game Boy games - all boxed, some complete - the Emerald one says the battery is dry but I'll still sell it

$3 - Monster Rancher 4 - nice, complete PS2 game - already sold on ebay for $45

$1 - U.N. Squadron - SNES cart

$78 -17 DS games + 9 PSP games (they were marked 5 bucks each but I bought them all to get them for 3 each, nothing too special but surprisingly, Golden Nugget does well on ebay)

post-4103-0-40269800-1343102079_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-96693100-1343102082_thumb.jpg

post-4103-0-55600400-1343102091_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-79498300-1343102086_thumb.jpg post-4103-0-50571000-1343102095_thumb.jpg

Got a Genesis model 2 with the 32X and 32X connector for $6.06 at a thrift store.i already had a model 2 and 1 but it came with the 32X and connector(which i didn't have)so overall great deal.i also got a Xbox 360 Afterglow controller for $1 too. one thumb stick rubber was off and the end of the controller cord(it is wired) it didn't have the end piece but i can easily go to play n trade or go on Ebay and get the piece for cheap.

Today I picked up a few PSX games. I bought Mega Man X4, X5, and X6 all complete and very nice condition for 2 bucks a piece. I am looking forward to playing these!

Dang, greatest hits or black? Darn good price either way.

Black and great shape! I was stoked to find them.