IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

With all the repros and fakes today it has def. killed the desire to collect for me. I have pondered just selling off everything worth anything and making my own repros of them. The fact you can make the games, boxes, manuals, labels all look original these days has damn near killed this hobby for me. I say make my own because who the hell knows what I'm buying these days anyhow.

With all the repros and fakes today it has def. killed the desire to collect for me. I have pondered just selling off everything worth anything and making my own repros of them. The fact you can make the games, boxes, manuals, labels all look original these days has damn near killed this hobby for me. I say make my own because who the hell knows what I'm buying these days anyhow.

I'm assuming you didn't do your research and got scammed?

I'm assuming you didn't do your research and got scammed?

Thats not it at all. I have definitely done my research thats why I feel the way I do. I have not been scammed yet (that I know of) but I have made some purchases that required me to return the items for refunds.

The problem these days is that unless you examine boards and chips and what not you don't know what you are buying. Plus the fact that labels, boxes, manuals, and what not are now made so good that odds are anything you buy can be half fake and you wouldn't be able to tell.

Luckily majority of my collection was obtained before the counterfeit stuff got so good. It however makes me question anything I buy these days now even at yard sales. Who knows where that person purchased it from.

Even today reprints are looking like originals. Look at Xenoblade Chronicles for the WII. I have just started researchng it but it appears the only way to telll the reprint is by looking inside on the case and it doesn't say WII it says Nintendo I believe, but a case is easily swapped.

If I was a new collector I would just buy an eprom programmer and make my own collection since the odds are that anything you buy today could quite possibly be a repro. They look and play exactly like the real deal.

I wouldn't mind having repro carts of High Price games like Mighty Final Fight, Little Samson

I got a set of 4 Atari pint glasses on an Ebay local pickup deal for $18. I have no idea if that is a good deal - just wanted them. Problem is, they are still in the box, and the box is kinda in good shape. Need to decide if I'm going to shelf it or crack it open. . . .

I got a set of 4 Atari pint glasses on an Ebay local pickup deal for $18. I have no idea if that is a good deal - just wanted them. Problem is, they are still in the box, and the box is kinda in good shape. Need to decide if I'm going to shelf it or crack it open. . . .

Can you post a picture ?

Can you post a picture ?

Voila:

post-5812-0-53719300-1399607573_thumb.jpg

Edit: I also recently had a friend give me his childhood Odyssey 2. He didn't have the power supply, and I haven't tested it yet, but it looks in good shape. He had the original box and about 7 games including KC and 2 of the board games.

• Like 3

Those glasses are recent, they were sold at Target a year or so ago. I have a set, if i recall they were $15-$20 new.

I'd crack it open and use them as I doubt they'll have much collector value.. at least not for a long time. Good/fun pint glasses though.

I paid $20 for mine, Way too cool to pass up! (Target)

I paid $20 for mine, Way too cool to pass up! (Target)

I have those same pint glasses, I use them all the time.

Haven't dropped and broken them yet (knock on wood).

Do they make it through the dishwasher ok? Do you guys hand wash?

Those glasses are recent, they were sold at Target a year or so ago. I have a set, if i recall they were $15-$20 new.

I'd crack it open and use them as I doubt they'll have much collector value.. at least not for a long time. Good/fun pint glasses though.

For some it is presentation over value.

Happy Friday

post-5812-0-70137000-1399681693_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Video Game Pickups #13!

This is 3 different deals I made this week...all in one video

but first...the list of stuff!

Pasting this from my excel spreadsheet so it's not categorized:

NES Controller

NES Controller

NES Controller

NES Controller

NES Advantage Controller

Nintendo Zapper (Grey)

NES System

Aftermarket Power Supply

Wizards and Warriors

Robo Warrior

King Fu

Super Mario Bros/ Duck Hunt

Racket Attack

Donkey Kong Jr.

NES Cleaning Cart

NES System

Grey Zapper

OEM NES Controller

Aftermarket Power Supply

Male-to-male AV cables

NES to Famicom Converter

10-Yard fight

10-Yard fight

Double Dribble

Championship Bowling

Excitebike

Commando

Wood & Water Rage

Urban Champion

Jackal

Pinball

Popeye

Winter Games

Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt

Super Mario Bros.

Super Mario Bros.

Pac-Man

Duck-Hunt

Donkey Kong Jr. Math

Baseball

Hogan's Alley

Super Mario Bros. 3

Gradius

Jeopardy

Tiger-Heli

Punch-Out

SNES system

Nintendo AV Cable

OEM SNES Power Supply

Sega RF Adapter

SNES Controller

NES Controller

Donkey Kong Country

Mortal Kombat

Super Mario World

F-Zero

Super Pinball: Behind the Mask

Super Gameboy

Sega Game Gear

Galaga/Galaxian

Spider-Man

Check out the video here:

post-38514-0-23892900-1399683158_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Do they make it through the dishwasher ok? Do you guys hand wash?

I don't think mine have ever been hand washed, and last time I inspected them, all the paint was fine.

I like them. I've always preferred drinking out of glass cups, but I don't like how easily they break. I would assume pint glasses are designed with stumbling drunk people in mind, and would be more durable...so far, I've dropped them a couple of times and they're still fine.

Having arcade artwork printed on them is a nice bonus. The only downside is I can't fill them with a nice, hot tea.

A few things from the past week

Ridge Racer 64 - $4 from the local game store.

Virtual Pool and World Championship Driver were ebay purchases

3 packs of sealed 5 1/4 floppies were $1.99 for all 3 packs at Value Village

Namco Museum GameCube was $3 and Midtown Madness 2 PC $2 were from a local Salvation Army

Pooyan 2600 $7 from a pawn shop.

post-2493-0-59028900-1399752290_thumb.jpg