IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

...I saw a Dell D620 laptop in a bin. Grabbed it, figured if nothing else I could have fun taking it apart.

Unless you're using a big, shiny hammer, I promise you, there is nothing "fun" about taking a laptop apart =|

So a Core2 Duo laptop for just over 30 bucks.

Lucky. I gambled on a thrift laptop a couple of times, and both of them turned out to be a model that's infamous for having the video card crap out on them.

I guess at least I got a couple nice parts out of it, but I wasted money on a replacement screen for one of them.

Edited by Asaki

Some nice grabs this weekend and last.

post-6115-0-16078800-1434338294_thumb.jpg

More '80s vinyl goodness.

post-6115-0-17998100-1434339619_thumb.jpg

The bad news is, these are in pretty pitiful shape. The good news is, that meant I could offer the store a fair price without melting my wallet!

post-6115-0-73766500-1434339650_thumb.jpg

Something interesting for the laserdisc and anime fan in me: the original LD release of an episode from the original Tenchi Muyo! direct-to-video series. If you think being an anime fan was hard back in the early 2000's, when you'd shell out $20 for a DVD with a measly three or four episodes, try to imagine what being a fan was like in the 1990's! If you really wanted the best experience, you'd buy these big shiny discs that offered both English and Japanese language tracks, and you would be sure to own a TV with a closed-caption decoder so that you could read the English subtitles. Oh, and you would be happy to pay full price for a disc with one half-hour episode! Or you could wait for the box sets and maybe forgo eating for a month or two.

Interestingly, while the disc itself was obviously mastered for North America (English credits), the packaging definitely caters to the hardcore anime fans, with an all-Japanese sleeve that then has an English addendum stickied on top. The addendum is a little worse for wear, but everything else is in great shape. I'm debating if I want to keep this. It's cool to have something from back when Pioneer was still an anime house as well as an electronics company, but I really don't need to start yet another collection...

post-6115-0-67671600-1434339005_thumb.jpg

The DS games appeared last weekend, and the PS2 and N64 games appeared this weekend at the thrift I volunteer at. Funny thing is, these were the only games that appeared for these systems on those particular days. If the pickin's are slim, they may as well be good slim pickin's, right?

Super Mario 64 was one the few first-party N64 games I didn't yet have. It occurred to me today that my entire N64 collection, from the hardware down to all the games, has come from thrift stores. For a collection that sports the big titles like Mario Kart 64, Paper Mario, Super Smash Bros., Starfox 64, GoldenEye and the Zelda titles Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time, I'd say that's pretty good, and the price was definitely right!

And finally...

post-6115-0-08334700-1434339382_thumb.jpg

A RetroDuo, scored for $5, to add to the clone colection. For the halibut.

Nice!

I remember trying to get anime back in mid to late 90s, before DVD came out. Most VHS has one or 2 episodes, were $20 a pop, and a complete box set (for example Rootech) meant you had to give up lots of space. Or downgrade to a smaller TV. :D Today one could get most of the anime on DVD sets that took up the same space as 2 or 3 tapes so I could upgrade back to big TV.

Anyway back on track: found nothing new in the last few days. :mad: Well, nothing that was made before 2005.

I remember trying to get anime back in mid to late 90s, before DVD came out. Most VHS has one or 2 episodes, were $20 a pop, and a complete box set (for example Rootech) meant you had to give up lots of space.

Like this? :)

post-6115-0-63576700-1434498254_thumb.jpg

All of this is captured in, what, six Blu-ray box sets, each as wide as one of these tapes? Ironically, or perhaps not, the series was cheaper to buy this way. Of course that's when you're paying thrift-store prices and not original release prices!

Buying all these tapes was probably not my wisest investment, but for the reasons you mentioned I figured they'd be cool to have, to show people what it used to take to be dedicated to a show.

• Like 1

Nice!

I remember trying to get anime back in mid to late 90s, before DVD came out. Most VHS has one or 2 episodes, were $20 a pop, and a complete box set (for example Rootech) meant you had to give up lots of space. Or downgrade to a smaller TV. :D Today one could get most of the anime on DVD sets that took up the same space as 2 or 3 tapes so I could upgrade back to big TV.

Anyway back on track: found nothing new in the last few days. :mad: Well, nothing that was made before 2005.

If you think it was bad then, the japanese pay $80+ for BDs with 3 or 4 episodes on them NOW.

N64 game Craigslist deal. Was too good to pass up even for $120 with 9 games to add to my collection and the rest are doubles. Looking through them at home I noticed Banjo has some stickers on the back "property of Nintendo" awesome its a NFR!

f8725da6-bbe5-460b-9d06-7e940c3de1b8.jpg

I hit up some thrift stores on the way home and was on the phone with my Dad at Goodwill when I nearly missed this in a wicker basket waiting to be stocked on the shelf. Great day to be off of work.

IMG_1853.jpg

• Like 2

Like this? :)

attachicon.gifRanmaVids.jpg

All of this is captured in, what, six Blu-ray box sets, each as wide as one of these tapes? Ironically, or perhaps not, the series was cheaper to buy this way. Of course that's when you're paying thrift-store prices and not original release prices!

Buying all these tapes was probably not my wisest investment, but for the reasons you mentioned I figured they'd be cool to have, to show people what it used to take to be dedicated to a show.

Now that's a classic series ... boy who turns into a girl when splashed with cold water! I actually started on Urusei Yatsura (ah, Lum!) but Ranma was my all time favorite anime.

And yes, I remember buying the laserdiscs at insane prices, especially for a college student.

Heh, just to proclaim my ultimate geekdom, I was the editor for a very small magazine for the AAA (Akron Animation Association) from the University of Akron. We had a pretty nice club for several years and was able to show movies at the campus movie theater. Ah ... the memories.

• Like 1

Found a Sony Dual Shock 2 controller for PSX/PS2, black, 99 cents and a Tiger LCD game Pitfall for 59 cents. Normally I don't bother with Tiger's handheld games because they are common and have limited play value once you figure out the pattern (ie I can get 300 every time in bowling) but I just had to get Pitfall. The art and the background graphic resembles Pitfall game

• Like 1

You're telling me that there's games that translate well to LCD? :o ? :o

Well, not quite well for Pitfall. It is playable but with vines, crocs, treasures, and pitfalls, there isn't much room on the screen for fixed graphic image.

It is fairly hard to play Pitfall LCD but it is playable and not stupid easy like some other LCD games I've played. But if anyone wanted my opinion, stick with 2600 version and leave Tiger's Pitfall LCD to crazied Tiger LCD collector.

I used to find good stuff at Salvation Army but that was probably 15 years ago. Mostly it's books, DVDs, and a few computer parts such as SCSI drive for Macintosh. I think they sent the good stuff somewhere like Goodwill does to that auction site.

I did score something today at a different Goodwill:

q7Udug8.jpg

A >> sealed << 2600 cart. Granted the box is crushed and not mint but I bet it still has original factory air inside. Price tag in picture. If anyone's interested in this one for any reason, I'll sell it at cost (2.99 plus .18 tax plus shipping in USPS box) as it's not a rare game, just special because of the resale sticker.