IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

How to explain cheap Super Mario Maker 3DS? Pretty sure store don't reuse SKU on games.

Clerical error- either somebody mis-typed a new SKU and caused it to connect to an old one, or they typed in the wrong price/forgot the price.

I see this all the time- we had some Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 mugs come in that were ringing up a penny- store code for 'no price, not for sale' normally you see it on discontinued things, but sometimes on new merch that got miscoded. Anyway, those mugs eventually updated- and rang up as bottles of paint. Whoever did the re-edit managed to change the SKU, not the price. It was another week and a half before they rang in as mugs, at the right price, and hit the sales floor. I think we had them in the back for about a month total.

Yeah, stuff gets mixed up in stores all the time. A couple of months ago I found some grill thermometers that were ringing up $10,000. Apparently that's the price they put on fixtures or something, so the thermometers were somehow designated as fixtures. At my old store, displays and signs had bar codes that, when scanned, would come up as $.01.

If there was a Target price sticker on it, then it was probably a clearance sticker, because Target doesn't put prices on items until they go clearance or are being sold "as is" (for like returned items or old displays). This could mean it was marked down for any reason between an actual wrong sku/dpci in the system to plain ol human error.

Oh, and Target also does some game trade-ins, but that goes through Marketsource, the mobile phone reps. I never was involved in that process to see exactly how it worked or how the games came back, but they may come back used but sealed, if that makes sense. I never shopped used games there, so not sure.

I haven't seen Target stuff at our Goodwills in a while, but I know the last time I did, they were starting to use silver Sharpie to cross out all the brand names on the boxes. We asked, and they said it was to help keep people from returning Goodwill finds to Target.

Yesterday I found 2 complete in box things I was hoping would have worked out for an absolute steal ($5/ea) CH Products Combatstick USB and CH Products Pro Pedals(works with chocks for racing, removed as a rudder for flight.) The idea here was that I read online I could use them with older Windows games such as the TIE and XWing Fighter re-releases from the 98/XP era and it failed. Then I tried using the pedals for F-Zero in Dolphin(GC emulator), refused to work other than by itself so no steering. It did work in Project64 for that F-Zero which was neat having pedals for boost/gas. Sadly they're up on ebay now, hopefully someone with a good set of modern racing games of flight simulators can use them more than I can. I still have a better CH Flightstick anyway which is the upgrade of the combatstick.

How's this for a find? I got a Samsung 2333HD monitor for ten bucks. They had a sale down at the fire department, and I snapped this up almost as soon as I found it. I can't believe they suggested ten dollars as the price! I could just about plotz!

Oh yeah, I also got a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick for a buck. Not really sure what to do with that one, although GORF is pretty high on the list of games I'll be using with it. Maybe I should scan my Steam library for games that'd work well with it, too.

post-393-0-04140000-1494140767_thumb.png

The idea here was that I read online I could use them with older Windows games such as the TIE and XWing Fighter re-releases from the 98/XP era and it failed.

I know I've been able to use modern Logitech analogue USB gamepads with old Windows 95 games like Carmageddon without issue (in XP).

If the drivers aren't the issue, maybe your OS is too new, and you could try running them in Virtual PC. I haven't personally tried that, but I would think it would work.

Not a bad idea, but impractical, and they do work on their own, just not together except in the case of Project64 for F-Zero X so I know it's not a parts or driver problem but perhaps something with the games/emulators themselves. Either way it's not a huge deal, rather someone get them who can be totally satisfied as it's not worth it for me to keep the pedals just for F-Zero X.

Anyway! Megascore today for $70 from a local, caught it very shortly after it hit craigslist of all things.

Grabbed this today, my Gameboy white whale of a good decade, an interest far longer since it was the only one I never had for the system since it came out in 1994.

Mega Man V

The entire lot was picked up this morning. GB is in 8.5-9/10 condition, missing the link cable cap, few scuffs on the lens but that's really it. 2 Cases, small stack of manuals (oddly SML2 but no game for it), guy even threw in 4 new longer life batteries too.

Mega Man V, (2) Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Red, Tetris, and 4in1(not)Fun Pak. icon_wink.gif The batteries were dead, but I replaced those this afternoon so they're solid.

gblotmegaman5_zpswm6of6c6.jpg

• Like 1

...they do work on their own, just not together...

Oh, okay. I didn't realize that was the issue.

Virtual PC isn't that impractical, it's come in handy quite a number of times for me. You just have to download an older version (2007 I think?) because the newer ones dropped support for anything older than XP.

Even better if your computer supports hardware virtualization.

What little I could get from the Flea Market avoiding the resellers who were out combing the tents for all the games....Jerks.

164F6D46-CD74-A54D-1155A56739C9944F.png

16281824-EF05-F4A7-DC42DA87EA7B58A1.png

2 Gamecube official controllers.

Battle of Olympus NES

Bad Dudes NES

Dino Riki NES with manual even

Super Mario 3 NES

Baldurs Gate for the PS2 CIB

Devil May Cry PS2 CIB

Castlevania Lament of Sorrows PS2 CIB

Kawasaki Super Bike for the Genesis CIB even registration cards

Robotron 2084 Atari 7800

Mario Party 10 for the Wii U.

And the Star Wars Tub

Total spent that day $60 Not terrific but really not bad either.

• Like 1

^^ Could be better but yeah competition from aggressive resellers can suck the used market dry. I did find a couple Wiimotes at Goodwill, $1.99 each. One is a white one, older model without Plus, has very green and blue battery inside (can't even tell what brand), and other is a nice yellow and green Bowser edition. Guess which one I bought? Also picked up Namco Museum Remix CIB for Wii system.

For $2 I would have bought both. The standard one has uses and you can get a WM+ lockon pretty cheap if you don't just run to some scalper scrub. I had been pre-Wii ownership again been using a stock white wiimote+nunchuk I got for $4 at a goodwill later last year with a dolphin bar to mess with Dolphin (emu) New SMB and SMGalaxy2 to see how well it worked (amazing.) Also worked as a nice second pointer mouse too.

For $2 I would have bought both. The standard one has uses and you can get a WM+ lockon pretty cheap if you don't just run to some scalper scrub. I had been pre-Wii ownership again been using a stock white wiimote+nunchuk I got for $4 at a goodwill later last year with a dolphin bar to mess with Dolphin (emu) New SMB and SMGalaxy2 to see how well it worked (amazing.) Also worked as a nice second pointer mouse too.

Not when one whose battery bay is encrusted in green and blue stuff so badly you can't tell what brand the original battery was. If it's that bad, it's very likely the metal contacts on both ends are ruined and possibly the circuit board by the battery terminal.

Nothing too crazy- found a Duke controller for Xbox for $3 and picked it up. Out of curiosity, how rare is a Duke, anyway? I was trying to find a teardown video so I could open it up & clean it, but all I found were people talking about the 'rare original Xbox controller'. Except around here, they're not that rare- if I find an Xbox controller, it's probably a Duke- it's finding the breakway still attached that's rare. Did I just hit a cache of crazy people on Youtube, or do I live in a bizarrely Duke-rich area?

Not when one whose battery bay is encrusted in green and blue stuff so badly you can't tell what brand the original battery was. If it's that bad, it's very likely the metal contacts on both ends are ruined and possibly the circuit board by the battery terminal.

For $2 I still would. I keep back-up parts in case something I find needs something or something I have fails. In my back closet here I have a small box with individual mini zip bags each with a full set of buttons, rubbers, joystick bits(if they pop off), bumpers, whatever to all sorts of game controllers and some versions of game boy too and it has been handy. Even the good battery connectors if there are any could be harvested to solder onto another unit. I don't pack rat the stuff, but I keep one set of security screws for various devices and one set of spare buttons/pads etc and it has been beneficial. People are pigs with gaming stuff, and some foods can get inside and rot the rubbers or buttons from the inside and that has been worth the effort.

Anyway finally after looking for months now I found a Wii Guitar Hero III Les Paul today, bonus points a clean working nice white wiimote inside it too -- $6! I finally was able to play the game again, gave up on it doing a controller play as it was impossible to enjoy.

Aw, snarg! I have two broken Wiimotes in my collection, which I purchased in a yard sale some time ago. Maybe I should crack those bad boys open and see if they can be repaired, now that I have soldering equipment. I think the only problem with the Wiimote Plus is that you can't connect peripherals, so a little touch-up on those soldering points may be just what the doctor ordered.

Bit of a catch 22 at the Flea Market I go to each week. There's a kid who has a stall there who I sometimes buy stuff from for decent prices. He doesn't value Atari stuff much which is good for me, but some of his other stuff can be way off the mark. But he does get to trawl the other stalls at 4am when they're setting up to grab the bargains, last week he got a box with a SNES in, three controllers and four games for AU$20 which he showed me.

So for me, it's good when he is there as he does have stuff I like, but it's good when he's not as there's more chance of other bargains for me elsewhere.

Agreed about the Wii stuff, I bought a Wii with sensor, two controllers (pluses) etc for AU$20 the other month purely for spares.

Edited by Mulletino

The Wiimote Plus (which didn't work all that well in the first place) won't turn on at all after I tried resoldering some of the pins on the I/O port. I have no idea what I did wrong, or if it just decided to give up the ghost at that moment. Maybe I have to replace a capacitor in it or something, I don't know.

Yeah it is. Overclocking improves the framerate a little, too.

This is a surprisingly impressive racing game on the Genesis.

I had no idea what kind of game it was until I played it. This definitely pushed the Sega hardware form the day and I am duly impressed. Like Virtua Racer I am sure there is some extra power bits inside that cart. Best thing is I still got the sweepstakes card with it so I might try to win me a Kawasaki if it were still July 1995.

• Like 1

Like Virtua Racer I am sure there is some extra power bits inside that cart.

Nope, just some really good programming =)

Red Zone, Hard/Race Drivin', and LHX Attack Chopper were some other polygon pushing Genny games. They all run fine on a stock Everdrive, no special chips.

Then you had games like Toy Story and Batman & Robin that kind of faked it.

Edited by Asaki