IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

picked up these bad boys today - not games - but interesting nonetheless!

Anybody else read these back in the day?

attachicon.gif100_4469.JPG

I loved those when I was a kid. Im pretty sure I had (and probably still do) a copy of that planet builders on.

Wow I wouldn't see that as scamming. I didn't even notice till I was out the door. And I did spend over $50 on other items in there anyway I will make sure not to post anything in this thread again

On response to the other posts about the goodwill laptop: I want to go on record to say its pretty jacked up to have no qualms about coming in a forum and bragging about profiting from a thrift stores mistake in not changing you for something with what appears to be no intention of going back and paying for it. Poster said himself He was in there all the time. Im doubly shocked that there are significantly more people defending that dishonest behavior rather than condemning it. That is a sad state of affairs.

Edited by Mitkraft
  • Like 1

Why is it a sad state of affairs playing it safe? If you only found out about it after the fact it's not like they keep a strict and honest inventory as they random price things. You'll be likely accused of stealing trying to bring it back in without a sticker, perhaps even trying to get it for cheaper than listed or sticker swapping.

It has been a few years but out west I saw that level of honesty you're preaching over backfire and someone got a negative response out of it. Accusing of trying to manipulate and then taking the item then offering it back to the person for more than the sticker because they surely swapped it as it was not enough given what the item was.

Would you risk being that honest walking in and being accused of stealing? Stealing being either sticker swapping or coming in to try and play a game with an item with no receipt? Worse you could have the cops called on you and it would be retail vs the nobody (you) who walked in with the item. Not worth the potential really bad end result from being the nice guy. I stand by my comment from visual experience to just leave it be as the odds are split between a thank to to getting hosed potentially legally.

All that is some serious BS in an attempt to justify dishonest behavior. All you have to do is tell them next time you go in that they forgot to charge you for it and pay for it. This type of mentality is why you can’t trust anyone anymore and that is the sad state of affairs I’m talking about.

Why is it a sad state of affairs playing it safe? If you only found out about it after the fact it's not like they keep a strict and honest inventory as they random price things. You'll be likely accused of stealing trying to bring it back in without a sticker, perhaps even trying to get it for cheaper than listed or sticker swapping.

It has been a few years but out west I saw that level of honesty you're preaching over backfire and someone got a negative response out of it. Accusing of trying to manipulate and then taking the item then offering it back to the person for more than the sticker because they surely swapped it as it was not enough given what the item was.

Would you risk being that honest walking in and being accused of stealing? Stealing being either sticker swapping or coming in to try and play a game with an item with no receipt? Worse you could have the cops called on you and it would be retail vs the nobody (you) who walked in with the item. Not worth the potential really bad end result from being the nice guy. I stand by my comment from visual experience to just leave it be as the odds are split between a thank to to getting hosed potentially legally.

• Like 1

So i was at goodwill and found a few games but then I noticed a laptop under some crap, dug it out and it said $12 wont boot. I plugged it in and it booted fine so i took my goodies to the counter and the lady somehow neglected to charge me for the laptop so now I just got a free Laptop :)

Mitkraft, on 15 Oct 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

All that is some serious BS in an attempt to justify dishonest behavior. All you have to do is tell them next time you go in that they forgot to charge you for it and pay for it. This type of mentality is why you can’t trust anyone anymore and that is the sad state of affairs I’m talking about.

THIS.

We all have bragged about getting a great price on stuff, and that laptop sold for only $12. The honest thing to do is go back to the store and just donate the lousy twelve bucks instead of boasting your theft. Bad enough bragging your dishonesty, worse when you put Atari Age on the screen associating this forum to it.

• Like 2

Accusing a person of theft is a bit extreme. Have you seen how poorly some of these Good Will stores are run? Would it make those of you finger pointers feel better if he had swiped a card and never noticed one item missing on the receipt of a $50 order?

I have been ripped off personally by small items being double scanned on a large ticket. This has happened a couple of times in the last year alone.
The scales can and do balance eventually over time. This is a trivial amount of money. Mistakes are made and it's not necessarily the buyers responsibility to correct them, if he happens to notice them at all.

Iwantgames:), donate a box full of stuff worth more than $12 some time in the future if you feel like giving back. To those who want to judge, lighten up.

• Like 1

I've been burned at goodwill myself. They sell many items "as is" and no returns on most electronic stuff. They have sold me alone more than $12 of non- working garbage. I think they will live. It's not theft when you hand a cashier your stuff and she charges you a price.

We are assuming it was missed but maybe something else was going on. Like a half off sale iwantgames was unaware of.

I wasn't making that up I saw someone get screwed at at goodwill around 6-7 years ago out west who returned with a good they didn't get charged on and caught all sorts of hell on it for trying to do the right thing. As you said it yourself there, you can't trust anyone anymore. Even being nice people can see other motives so I'd rather take the safer than sorry route with it. I'll agree with that other post, if you feel that rotten, donate something outside you know they'll charge $12 for or more and be done with it. Walking in with the goods even when it was accidental is inviting a possible larger problem.

wow I really didnt really think it would become some huge debate, I have donated stuff to goodwill myself in the past that i imagine they've made more than $12 on. I didnt steal anything. I put it all on the counter (meaning I was willing to pay for it) the lady rang it up and I payed. after leaving I noticed the laptop wasnt on the reciept and i did the math and realized i wasnt charged for it. My wife had a Dr appointment so we didnt have time to turn around to go back anyway and it would end up costing just as much in gas to go back special just to correct their mistake. Also just going back and handing the cashier $12 and saying the last time I was in I got undercharged do you really think that $ would end up in the register? I can almost guarantee that it would just end up in the cashiers pocket.

On response to the other posts about the goodwill laptop: I want to go on record to say its pretty jacked up to have no qualms about coming in a forum and bragging about profiting from a thrift stores mistake in not changing you for something with what appears to be no intention of going back and paying for it. Poster said himself He was in there all the time. Im doubly shocked that there are significantly more people defending that dishonest behavior rather than condemning it. That is a sad state of affairs.

Thanks, Mitkraft. I was reading all of the responses the last couple of days, and I couldn't believe the people who were justifying theft.

Let's be clear - this is theft. The poster got home with an item that he did not pay for, and he kept it with no intention of going back and paying for it. What's the difference between what he did and flat out shoplifting? If he came in here bragging about stealing an item from a retail store, would he be defended to this level? Even worse, he stole from a non-profit. One justification from another member is that it's OK because the CEO makes a lot of money? Another justification is that Goodwill.com charges high shipping costs? How does any of that make it ok to steal from them?

I seriously thought that he'd be piled on until he was ashamed enough to go back and do what's right. Instead, I'm a bit sickened by the defenders of him. Stealing isn't OK. Stealing from a non-profit is reprehensible.

Edited by dgdgagdae
  • Like 1

wow I really didnt really think it would become some huge debate, I have donated stuff to goodwill myself in the past that i imagine they've made more than $12 on. I didnt steal anything. I put it all on the counter (meaning I was willing to pay for it) the lady rang it up and I payed. after leaving I noticed the laptop wasnt on the reciept and i did the math and realized i wasnt charged for it. My wife had a Dr appointment so we didnt have time to turn around to go back anyway and it would end up costing just as much in gas to go back special just to correct their mistake. Also just going back and handing the cashier $12 and saying the last time I was in I got undercharged do you really think that $ would end up in the register? I can almost guarantee that it would just end up in the cashiers pocket.

Bullshit. There is no reason to believe that the cashier would pocket the money. Not everyone is as dishonest as you are.

• Like 1

It was unintentional theft at best being realistic about it. Stealing has willful intent behind it to get it away from the previous owner. The intent was there to pay, but it's also not the customers cardinal responsibility to read an entire receipt after buying stuff to make sure they were charged correctly as that's just absurd. So no, this isn't justifying theft or the rest, it's just realizing mistakes were made. That's the difference as shoplifting is theft with intent. A shoplifter won't walk up to the counter and wave a magic wand and suddenly pay for everything but the coolest item on the counter. They stuff the stuff in their pants or jacket and walk out, end of story.

If my sister's experience is anything to go on, the money you legitimately spent went into a manager's pocket. So many months petrified because LP was on her ass, only for them to finally figure out the boss was the one running off with cash. Anyhoo-

I've got over a decade of retail experience, quite a bit of it from behind the register. Here is the general option of your cashier- if we forget to ring up an item you put on the counter, and you get home with it, IT'S OUR FAULT. So just KEEP IT. Now, if you notice at the counter, do please say something- we are trying to make money after all. But hours after the fact? No, please don't- it's a hassle to you, it's often a hassle to US (especially if it's days later and we've already corrected inventory.) We'd really rather move on with our lives.

Exception: the item you bought was notably expensive: say, $50 or more. Those have more effort put into figuring out shortages, so it's a headache either way. So we'd prefer to be earning the money.

• Like 1

Bullshit. There is no reason to believe that the cashier would pocket the money. Not everyone is as dishonest as you are.

I just the other day watched a manager and an associate spend a good 30 minutes trying to figure out how to return an item for a lady who'd shopped at another location. She'd had gift cards. the cashier didn't use the gift cards, they simply discounted the item for the amount of said gift cards- meaning there was no payment for us to refund.

I wonder, what did happen to those gift cards? Too bad for that cashier she'd kept her receipt, so LP knows exactly the who/what/where of that incident. I hope they saved some money for Christmas, they're not earning much more...

Here is the general option of your cashier- if we forget to ring up an item you put on the counter, and you get home with it, IT'S OUR FAULT. So just KEEP IT.

This sounds about right.

Man, I've gotta remember not to mention in here the next time a thrift store cashier goofs up my purchase. Because it happens -often-. It's not like the guy stuffed it under his shirt and snuck out.

• Like 1

Very nice, love it when they mess up as it just feels all the more rewarding now when something isn't ebay or highest list price amazon copied. I still visit them for such lucky moments, that and well GB stuff tends to trend cheap, as do game guides mostly, plus at the alternative $3 manga (we have 2 locally.) :D

Yesterday I got lucky finding something I've wanted second hand since March, hard cover Zelda Breath of the Wind guide which usually runs like $40 for $20, half price actually marking something half price still -- SHOCKING!

• Like 1

Is there a "Sumguy got it first" thread? Today at Goodwill I spotted a green Coleco mini arcade across the room, the shape is very distinctive and the color green isn't common toy color in this store. But before I got there, someone else got it. I was able to get a closer look, $4 Frogger with battery cover on it.

• Like 1