IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Not only is it a Wega, but the very uncommon one of the last Sony CRT models that comes with a built in HD Tuner! Note that even though designated as SDTV the specs sheet states a 1080i tube! The tuner picks up off the air digital broadcast which appear HD quality.

KD-27FS170

It has come to my attention that what this TV does is accept a 1080i signal but downgrades and outputs it at 480i. It has a built in tuner but the tube inside it is only 480i.

OK so as far as this KD-27FS170 goes. I seen another listed yesterday for free and it came w/the remote! The same exact TV, Wega SD. So of course I had to go get it LOL. The guy told me today when I got there his phone was blowing up over people wanting it.

Well since I already have one and no room, I just wanted this for a spare. I went lo Lowes and bought a cart for $20 and cleared out a spot under the stairs storage section and rolled it in there and then put the Christmas decorations in front. Now it is out of the way and saved for a rainy day.

I hope I don't see another one. My dad's house may turn into TV storage LOL. I already see the demand for these TV's picking up, it's only a matter of time before they are selling for Hundreds.

I couldn't make myself do that, but in all fairness I know if I ever bumped into a well working small screen, real small like 12" I'd probably be tempted just for the flash back worthiness of it and because the n64 works like crap on a LCD due to lighting, shadow, and overkill AA issues since coders tried to cheat using the screen itself for it which causes a mud bomb on a LCD.

I finally went to bring my back up 32" WEGA from the garage to my workshop last week....and me and my buddy dropped it just as we got to the table. Holy *&^% lucky I didn't lose a finger or toe. Case cracked, TV F&^%ed. I felt awful.

Glad to see people preserving these things.

Aww man I know that sucks but the good news is if you are patient it’s not that hard to find another for free. Keep an eye on Craigslist and curbs on garbage day. I finally swore off hoarding CRTs and only keep one in my console game rack, one monitor on my 8-bit computer desk, and the two in my arcade machines. Now flat screens is another story. I actually have a couple more than I have use for (there is one in nearly every room) because I can’t stop finding them for free.

• Like 1

Not too bad for totally free on the table at the dump. Minty and with manuals. I used to LOVE the MOH games so those will at least get some love. And I had no idea the Rock was ever in a Spyhunter game....

RTbZe6b.jpg?1SEPQH1r.jpg?1

I don't see why people would take stuff like that to the dump instead of Goodwill so other people could enjoy them. May be different though at your local dump but a few years back all the dumps in my county now have people watching them and you aren't allowed to pick up anything you see sitting.

I don't see why people would take stuff like that to the dump instead of Goodwill so other people could enjoy them. May be different though at your local dump but a few years back all the dumps in my county now have people watching them and you aren't allowed to pick up anything you see sitting.

Yeah it is different at my dump. They have a big "recycling table" set up, probably 30 feet long. People put anything they think others could use here. The dump folks are happy to have anyone pick it over and take stuff home, as since our garbage is hauled out by container, weight costs the town $$$. Though to be honest, minus CRT TVs on the electronics table (which they are also happy to let people take), this is EASILY the best thing I have ever found. Runner up would be some binoculars I gave to my boys.

There are a few "antique dealers" from town who pick it pretty aggressively, and then I see the "garbage" at their flea market! Oh well, at least it didn't go in a landfill.

Now what they WON'T let you do is scavenge the metal bin...one for safety, and two because the town gets paid for that stuff of course.

• Like 1

Yeah it is different at my dump. They have a big "recycling table" set up, probably 30 feet long. People put anything they think others could use here. The dump folks are happy to have anyone pick it over and take stuff home, as since our garbage is hauled out by container, weight costs the town $$$. Though to be honest, minus CRT TVs on the electronics table (which they are also happy to let people take), this is EASILY the best thing I have ever found. Runner up would be some binoculars I gave to my boys.

There are a few "antique dealers" from town who pick it pretty aggressively, and then I see the "garbage" at their flea market! Oh well, at least it didn't go in a landfill.

Now what they WON'T let you do is scavenge the metal bin...one for safety, and two because the town gets paid for that stuff of course.

I think the reason they changed the way it is done at my dumps is because people would be rummaging through the actual garbage bins, picking out clothes and such. I used to see it all the time when I'd take my trash off. Now all of them have a guard and you can't take anything even the CRTs set up on the appliances platform.

Replaced my test CRT TV today. Bought a Polaroid TV(I didn't even know they made TVs) at the Community Storehouse near me for $4.99 today. I like the CRTs with square corners much better than the kind I had which was more rounded. Plus the one I had also had scuff marks on it. EDIT: Also this one has 3 stereo AV inputs and the one I'm replacing it was just mono.

Here is the new one

post-54455-0-88952300-1519514706_thumb.jpg

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 3

So....tried all 5 ps2 games that looked near mint....none work. What a tease!!!! I'm not sure what is up with them...a couple of them GRIND in my PS2. Something none of my other discs do.

Oh That's too bad!...Do you have one of those, (What are they called) Disc resurfacers? I have the kind where you spray the disc, then you crank by hand until your wrist falls off, but honestly they can clean a disc pretty well and sometimes, not always mind you, you can get a CD to play or a PlayStation game to play even if it's scratched up, because it grinds away a layer of the surface...

It might be worth a shot. Sometimes pawn shops and record stores also do disc resurfacing,...but yeah ya hate to spend even $3 on what should be a "free" game and there's no guarantee it will work. I think the record store here, where I know the manager personally always said if this doesn't fix it, it's free...

It might be worth a shot. Sometimes pawn shops and record stores also do disc resurfacing,...but yeah ya hate to spend even $3 on what should be a "free" game and there's no guarantee it will work. I think the record store here, where I know the manager personally always said if this doesn't fix it, it's free...

Try your local library. They usually have the resurfacers, and sometimes the public can use them (depending on your local policies.)

I usually don't go the disc doctor route (that's the hand-crank one). Gamestop sells a simple solution you use to buff by hand. It's good for surface scratches & doesn't leave those weird radial patterns you get from the disc doctor.

Gold it's crazy...these discs are near mint. Hardly a scratch on them, and what is there is next to nothing. I don't get it.

Ooooh- it's probably heat damage. I've got a copy of Kessen 2 from a flea market like that.

Edited by HoshiChiri
  • Like 1

Gold it's crazy...these discs are near mint. Hardly a scratch on them, and what is there is next to nothing. I don't get it.

Disc rot, maybe? I think my copy of Blade Runner: The Final Cut might be rotting =( Not a scratch or fingerprint on it, but halfway through it starts skipping real bad.
  • Like 1

Disc rot, maybe? I think my copy of Blade Runner: The Final Cut might be rotting =( Not a scratch or fingerprint on it, but halfway through it starts skipping real bad.

I don't know if it works for games, but on DVDs you can hold a flashlight under the disc & use it to find the clouds/spots that indicate disc rot.

Provided there's no spots with the light coming through yet, try a different player. Some are better at working with a clouded disc than others.

I had to go to Walmart over the weekend, so I decided to hit up a smaller store where I've scored deals before. It did not disappoint.

mZ71BwUl.jpg

These were in the clearance bin for $10/ea. I'm especially pumped about Blur, which I've been trying to find for years now; that game is scarce around here and I've never seen it new. That game has also gone up exponentially in price, especially sealed. Snagged a copy to keep and one to sell off once prices go through the roof. Knowing me, I'll probably just keep it on the shelf with all the other "sealed investment" games I have. :lol:

They also had a SNES Classic sitting on the shelf. This marks the 1st time I've seen one in the wild. I thought about buying it, since I wanted one initially, but I have like 5 other devices that play SNES titles (RetroPie, PSP, PC, modded Wii, actual SNES, etc.) so I passed. Also, I was hoping it could be hacked to hold the entire library of SNES games, but I was reading that it only has 256MB of onboard memory, so that's not going to happen. Maybe if I stumble upon one in a thrift on the super cheap, I'll buy one.

Not a thrift store find, but I FINALLY got to look at Wal-Mart's Music section and they have just about every CD I ever wanted for $5 apeice. SO, I WILL HAVE A SHELF OVERFLOWING WITH JEWEL CASE CDS IN ABOUT A YEAR unless my life goes MORE hectic.

Edited by TheTIGuy