IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

MASK was my time frame also. I had the Ford Bronco Jackhammer.

i had rhino (semi truck) , thunderhawk (the one i just got) , and switchblade (blue helicopter )

as a kid. i loved the toys think i might have dressed up for Halloween one year as mat trakker

ive been wanting to buy the ones i had(as a kid) but man after checking ebay the price on them is pretty high , and kind of sparse to find

so when i saw this one at the toy/train show i had to buy it

got him to give me the star wars bespin ship and it for 20$

here is the original one i had as a kid and the new one really other than missing doors i think my original one might be in better condition lol

lol off to ebay to find the others without the wife finding out lol

post-63035-0-31572200-1521432494_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-74899500-1521432502_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-83913200-1521432518_thumb.jpg

post-63035-0-25802700-1521432532_thumb.jpg

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 1

You're right they're not cheap. It was probably 2 years ago now and I got the Rhino semi, missing a few stickers, had the launcher and other parts just missing the missiles that go in the launcher. I put it on ebay as I had no room for it after awhile and people were chomping to get the thing which surprised me. MASK definitely has a following, just less viewed compared to stuff that still lives on like Transformers and GI Joe. It's much like Nintendo and Sega of then, Nintendo lives on with systems and their stuff in the aftermarket of old gets spendy vastly more than Sega which is a sad shell of its former self.

Not bad at all, when you get into those PC LCDs with the classic tv hookups as a bonus on them. Those screens back then makers wanted to get your money on computers so they had to make them so lag wouldn't be an issue with FPS games and other sensitive titles. Must be nice having that seeing how sharp as possible RCA, SVideo etc can be on that F-Zero run using original hardware. A couple months back I snapped up one but it only had VGA on the thing, but the clarity was amazing, makes me wish it had those other jacks..

Not bad at all, when you get into those PC LCDs with the classic tv hookups as a bonus on them. Those screens back then makers wanted to get your money on computers so they had to make them so lag wouldn't be an issue with FPS games and other sensitive titles. Must be nice having that seeing how sharp as possible RCA, SVideo etc can be on that F-Zero run using original hardware. A couple months back I snapped up one but it only had VGA on the thing, but the clarity was amazing, makes me wish it had those other jacks..

Yeah I'm impressed with it. Didn't feel any lag and no motion blur. That pic was taken while using s video. I'm really tempted now to get a component converter to see just how good the picture quality can get.

Yeah I'm impressed with it. Didn't feel any lag and no motion blur. That pic was taken while using s video. I'm really tempted now to get a component converter to see just how good the picture quality can get.

Same here, thinking maybe seeing what an old system on it would look like if I could find a VGA to RCA adapter. It's not like they don't exist, more or less in a way it's like that box that did the VGA output on Dreamcast to computer screens.

Sometimes you just can't let go...

I decided to troll a trio of thrifts I like to hit just on the weekend as they're in the opposite direction of where I tend to go along with a half price near by. Luck was with it, on the back end of things. Struck out twice, but the last thrift I ended up getting 3 GB/GBC games. That store is notorious of asking higher than ebay and the games I had seen for weeks sitting in this rectangular leather Nintendo made Game Boy case missing the handle. They were all listed at $15/20 each and I found them today marked down to $5/ea! Score -- Mega Man Xtreme, Donkey Kong Country, and James Bond 007 -- all pristine, all good batteries, and in official GB cases too. I had bought them thinking I could play then let them go, but after trying them out I'm just going to keep them as they're fun (I had them back when they were new in the 90s.)

Then i found the trifold case for $3 at the HPB of the original shareware release of Quake which has that nice NIN/Trent Reznor soundtrack on it which is a win too. Not sure what I'll do with that yet. It is a true troll package with full games you can't unlock without paying, which you can't anymore, nor can you easily crack it because the dumb unlock/installer is 16bit windows which I can't run. :D The CD audio is fun to listen to though.

Then i found the trifold case for $3 at the HPB of the original shareware release of Quake which has that nice NIN/Trent Reznor soundtrack on it which is a win too. Not sure what I'll do with that yet.

I bought a shareware copy from Goodwill just for the soundtrack (which is all there). My original retail CD exploded, so it's nice to be able to hear the soundtrack again, on the rare occasion that I play the game vanilla. All of the game files I have backed up numerous times.

Mind you, if you buy the game in digital format (Steam or GoG), it doesn't come with the soundtrack at all.

It is a true troll package with full games you can't unlock without paying, which you can't anymore, nor can you easily crack it because the dumb unlock/installer is 16bit windows which I can't run. :D

If you wanted to pirate the games on there, it would probably be a lot easier to just download them from the Internet. They're not at all hard to find.

Then i found the trifold case for $3 at the HPB of the original shareware release of Quake which has that nice NIN/Trent Reznor soundtrack on it which is a win too. Not sure what I'll do with that yet. It is a true troll package with full games you can't unlock without paying, which you can't anymore, nor can you easily crack it because the dumb unlock/installer is 16bit windows which I can't run. :D The CD audio is fun to listen to though.

Ah that shareware disc with the CD music tracks that today is lost as part of the game running. Now tempted to pop the disc in and fire up the original Quake again thru DOSBox. Back in the day there was a way to offline crack the Quake CD; the full game buried on the disc. A neat quirk that is not needed today since the full freeware Quake Engine easily downloaded.

Here you go, a neat BAT file I put together for running Quake in DOS or DOSBox. Oh and be sure to download the Quake Aliens Mod.

REM ECHO.

REM PAUSE

CLS

ECHO QUAKE CHEAT COMMANDS

ECHO -------------------------------

ECHO Enter cheats at console ( ~ )

ECHO FLY = Go Up Flying

ECHO GIVE # = Weapon of That Number

ECHO GIVE C# = Give Cells

ECHO GIVE H# = Give Health

ECHO GIVE N# = Give Nails

ECHO GIVE R# = Give Rockets

ECHO GIVE S# = Give Shells

ECHO GOD = God Invincible Mode

ECHO IMPULSE 9 = Weapons and Keys

ECHO IMPULES 11 = Rune Cheat

ECHO IMPULSE 255 = Quad Damage

ECHO KILL = Commit Suicide

ECHO NOCLIP = Go Through Walls

ECHO NOTARGET = Monsters Wont Target

ECHO MAP E#M# = Warp To Level Number

ECHO SV_GRAVITY ### = Gravity Number

PAUSE

CLS

ECHO QUAKE CD MUSIC CONTROLS

ECHO Enter commands at console ( ~ )

ECHO CD EJECT = Eject the CD

ECHO CD INFO = CD Information

ECHO CD LOOP # = Continue Track #

ECHO CD OFF = Turn Player Off

ECHO CD ON = Turn Player Back On

ECHO CD PLAY # = Play Track #

ECHO CD STOP = Stop Playing

ECHO CD RESET = Resets CD Player

ECHO CD RESUME = Resume Playing

ECHO CD REMAP 2 5 7 = Remaps Tracks

PAUSE

:0

CLS

ECHO QUAKE

ECHO ----------------------------

ECHO Press (1) for Original Quake

ECHO Press (2) for Aliens Quake

ECHO Press (X) to exit Quake game

ECHO ----------------------------

CHOICE/C:12X

IF ERRORLEVEL 3 GOTO X

IF ERRORLEVEL 2 GOTO 2

IF ERRORLEVEL 1 GOTO 1

:1

QUAKE.EXE +MAP

ECHO.

PAUSE

GOTO 0

:2

QUAKE.EXE -game aliens +map

ECHO.

PAUSE

: x

ECHO.

• Like 1

i had rhino (semi truck) , thunderhawk (the one i just got) , and switchblade (blue helicopter )

as a kid. i loved the toys think i might have dressed up for Halloween one year as mat trakker

ive been wanting to buy the ones i had(as a kid) but man after checking ebay the price on them is pretty high , and kind of sparse to find

so when i saw this one at the toy/train show i had to buy it

got him to give me the star wars bespin ship and it for 20$

here is the original one i had as a kid and the new one really other than missing doors i think my original one might be in better condition lol

lol off to ebay to find the others without the wife finding out lol

I remember MASK ! I sometimes used to watch it after school...After Gobots and GI Joe were over. I have the theme music in my itunes :)

Asaki/CRT:

No I don't feel a need to pirate it. I just was pointing out that piece of history when iD did the mother of all backfires with that one because it was a middle finger to the gaming community then as a true troll package once people figured out the full games were hiding in plain sight back to Wolf3D. Due to that it was an unwritten challenge to cracking groups at the time to make them suffer for it and they did with the crack for it. I remember the old rumor that a couple iD staffers went ballistic on old usenet groups using colorful metaphors and threats. :D

Like I said I'm not certain what I'll do with it. Last night I did run the disc through Track 2->end (1 is the game data) and it is a nice score of background music. One thing you're off on though, the GoG release has the DOS version included and that one mounts the original ISO of the game so the soundtrack is present there so you do end up actually buying it. For some childish licensing reasons whoever handled the Windows release got into some tiff around it and that's why the usual version people run has no music which is crap. Having the disc in the drive though, it will pick up the music and play it for the Windows release. Annoyingly the DOS one only likes to run at 320x200 (lowest res) because if you throw it to anything better the frame rate goes into a slide show, clearly something wonky with dosbox.conf on that one I would think.

I've never been much into mods and weirdness so when/if I do play Quake or its sequel I'll play them vanilla as the designer made it. I haven't played them to death so bad it's boring and never will.

I remember MASK ! I sometimes used to watch it after school...After Gobots and GI Joe were over. I have the theme music in my itunes :)

I'm raising my 3yr old on gobots lol (no stupid transformers in this house lol)

bad part is he only remembers the "the go bots ! the go bots " part of the theme song and its getting pretty annoying lol

I have a pretty health collection of gobots in my gameroom

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/274798-discgolfer72s-gameroom/

and I bought doubles of it all for my 3yr old to play with (usually give him the less complete ones from large lots I buy )

still have yet to find a voltron for a price tag that id be willing to hand it over to my 3yr old (he broke powersuit grungy in about an hour so far courageous has remained somewhat intact lol)

Edited by discgolfer72
  • Like 1

A neat quirk that is not needed today since the full freeware Quake Engine easily downloaded.

That's just the engine, though. You can't do much with just the engine and no assets, unless you have a standalone mod.

I only play the DOS version for nostalgia though, I use source ports for everything else. At the very least, I run WinQuake (though it's not the most bug-free program in the world).

One thing you're off on though, the GoG release has the DOS version included and that one mounts the original ISO of the game so the soundtrack is present there so you do end up actually buying it.

I knew Steam didn't have music, I wasn't sure about DOSBox.

Annoyingly the DOS one only likes to run at 320x200 (lowest res) because if you throw it to anything better the frame rate goes into a slide show, clearly something wonky with dosbox.conf on that one I would think.

If you have it at max cycles and the framerate is still poor, it's probably too much for your CPU. You can try running it in Virtual PC instead.

I know in real DOS, you need SciTech Display Doctor or a similar UNIVBE to run the higher resolutions well, but DOSBox probably handles that automatically...I would assume?

I've never been much into mods and weirdness so when/if I do play Quake or its sequel I'll play them vanilla as the designer made it.

I've been modding Quake for almost 20 years now, so I've played my fair share of community releases, single- and multi-player. It's not about being bored with the vanilla game, it's about expanding the possibilities, or at the bare minimum, there are TONS of bugfixes out there. Even when I play "vanilla", I'm running a bugfix mod.

Wow raising a kid to not like Transformers but get into their Bandai ghetto bastard offspring the Gobots. :) That's unique. I had a few of both growing up, mostly not by choice but my parents didn't know better not that I didn't enjoy having Leader 1 among a few others, but I got far more use out of Optimus Prime, Jazz and Mirage though in the end they all played nice together. :D

Asaki: I may have to see how max cycles works, but in reality what kind of positronic brain would someone need to get that right? I'm running an i7 processor here with heaps of RAM and more VRAM on a 980 nvidia chip to go around that it should laugh at what Quake throws at it. :) Now as far as UNIVBE to tell the truth I'm at a loss like you are, so I have no idea if it does or not. But it would be safe to assume since it's a potent wannabe DOS environment I would think if you copied the old UNIVBE.EXE into your mounted (to be) DOS directory you could just run it. Hell you can run WIn3.x and Win95/98 inside of DOSBox too so I doubt it's a stretch. I never could figure out how to do that Windows though, probably easier to find someone pre-made setup, as it would solve some serious problems on a few games I miss you can not run anymore that GoG lacks and likely permanently will.

As far as mods go I'm not against them, but I'm super selective as I'd still mostly rather play the original retail released stuff, even the couple added quake 3rd party mission packs. What I'm totally cool with are the updated graphics/64bit happy engines that exist for stuff like that or GZ Doom that allows all those WAD based engine games to play nice once more. I fairly recently picked up Heretic Shadows of the Serpent Riders on CD and ripped the WADs from it for that engine and it's fantastic.

• Like 1

And on topic I had a bitchin Goodwill day today.

$15 - N64 console (charcoal gray launch model) with the OEM AC adapter and A/V but no controller. And then for $3 a really nice GBA travel nylon rectangular case which I found later had NBA Showtime GBC hiding in the back compartment. Also found for $6 a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition Graphing Calculator which I found runs around $80 on average on ebay which is nuts. I swear if I didn't have to pick my kid up every day I'd find nothing but it's on the way.

I actually bought that case eyeballing the size for something unrelated and thankfully my guess was spot on. It fits my shield tablet with my kindle paperwhite both in their own cases stacked inside which is perfect as it has the nylon carry strap and the sides are all puffy padded a bit.

Wow raising a kid to not like Transformers but get into their Bandai ghetto bastard offspring the Gobots. :) That's unique. I had a few of both growing up, mostly not by choice but my parents didn't know better not that I didn't enjoy having Leader 1 among a few others, but I got far more use out of Optimus Prime, Jazz and Mirage though in the end they all played nice together. :D

ps gobots was first transformers was the knock off

gobots 1983

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobots

transformers 1984

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(TV_series)

Edited by discgolfer72

Having the disc in the drive though, it will pick up the music and play it for the Windows release. Annoyingly the DOS one only likes to run at 320x200 (lowest res) because if you throw it to anything better the frame rate goes into a slide show, clearly something wonky with dosbox.conf on that one I would think.

I've never been much into mods and weirdness so when/if I do play Quake or its sequel I'll play them vanilla as the designer made it. I haven't played them to death so bad it's boring and never will.

I run Quake in DOSBox at 1024x768, no speed issues on my older 2.27ghz Win 7 laptop. Take a good look at that BAT file. A simple copy paste as a nice front end cheat codes reminder in DOSBox for Quake.

Where I live we had GoBots on TV after The Thundercats, but before G. I. Joe...And yeah I have the GoBots theme song in my iTunes as well haha...It's nostalgia, because although I saw the toy commercials complete with music, the actual Transformers cartoon didn't air here (To my knowledge, but I didn't have cable so I could be wrong)...

I had to drop off some donations at the local Savers over the weekend, and I decided to pop in to see what they had. Walked out with these for a grand total of $5:

V5cpoGMl.jpg

Both are complete, but it looks like Grabbed by the Ghoulies may have some disc rot issues that I didn't notice until I got home. I haven't had the chance to test it yet. But... Skydiving EXXXXXTTTTREEEEEEEEEEEMMMMEEEEE!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

after i closed my store today i hit up 3 thrift stores on my way home

almost had given up after striking out at the first two shops

and these caught my eye

2 grunt figures made by a company called joyride

from the little research i did (and the fact they still say bungie ) looks like they are from halo 2 era around 2005

im happy at 2$ each sold listings on ebay for loose ones show around 15$

post-63035-0-72314300-1522214625_thumb.jpg

Asaki: I may have to see how max cycles works, but in reality what kind of positronic brain would someone need to get that right?

In the dosbox.conf file, about 1/3 down under [cpu], you can set "cycles=max", it's on "auto" by default.

I usually set my cycles manually, though. CTRL+F12 will raise your cycles, and CTRL+F11 will lower them. Keep an eye on the performance tab in Task Manager and lower your cycles if the CPU Usage gets too high.

Though IIRC, retail DOS Quake has an issue where there's no CPU limiter, so the game will run too fast if there's too much CPU...but I'm pretty certain I've run it in Virtual PC before with no problems...I don't know, it's been a long time, and like I said, I only run the old DOS version if I'm feeling nostalgic for the brown tinted menu screens.

What I'm totally cool with are the updated graphics/64bit happy engines that exist for stuff like that or GZ Doom that allows all those WAD based engine games to play nice once more.

I'm the opposite. I love how creative modders can get, with mods that let you play Tetris, or snowboard, or mods that are updated remakes of Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. My most popular mod is one where you watch grass grow ¬_¬

I think games with intricately drawn pixels just look smudgy with bilinear filtering enabled, and I've seen very few "high res art upgrades" for any games that look like they were done by semi-professional artists, let alone ones that keep the original atmosphere of the game intact.