IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

Sorry no it didn't have a pair of cute tiny Japanese twins in the box. The tape was blown on the side so I did get a look in there before buying it so I knew it was still all there, unless perhaps they dried the tape out to escape. It is a pretty bad ass toy. I have it on the shelf as it is now, kind of conflicted as I hate leaving things sealed as I think it would look amazing out, but being how the wings are like those old 80s/90s flapping bird wings toys style stuff I'm afraid it would take one hit and rip/fall apart. I don't mind taking stuff like that out for display at times. Last year I got an excessively rare complete (toy+box) boxed up Space Sheriff Sharivan toy that just never comes up for sale and I displayed it on my desk and the box on the shelf as he's kind of this like thick molded vinyl/plastic in red and has a little bit of glitter in it which looked awesome under my desk light.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 2

You know I never thought about it, you're right that does look like a match. Must google to see more about this. It took me awhile to find any info on the old series after I stared at the box long enough to remember how to read it. I was just more shocked to find something like that for very little money at a flea market in this part of the country. Japanese stuff doesn't pop up much so when it does I tend to snatch it up. A month ago I found this really slick O-uchi no Deka Tamagotchi, a home version of something mostly Japan just had in some retail (eateries) shops to meddle with that would link with the later 90s tamagotchi keychains that had the transmitter on them. The thing is pretty amusing for what it is, but without the little guy it's more just 2 random mini games, cool little animations, a basic shop for winning game coins and a desk clock. Paid $20 for it, I think it was worth it (pretty sure I had that or half that into Sharivan.)

I half decided to try and sell it, but I put it a bit high as I'm not sure I really want to. Kind of thinking I should put batteries back in it and desk clock it as it's cute and I know I'll never see it again.

• Like 1

About a month back, I posted about finding an old Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop at work and getting it going. Remember that thing?

SR97c73l.jpg

Today, I was given another one from a friend who was going to donate it: this time it's a Circa 2000-ish Dell Inspiron 8000!

pBr736cl.jpg

The case is similar to the other one, but with these RAD palm rests and some extra buttons.

yI2tIoPl.jpg

DVD ROM!!! The drive moved to the side instead of the front.

ZbiLCOxl.jpg

Still has a 3.5" floppy drive, too.

8UnsMa0l.jpg

This one has an ethernet port and a wireless card (guy left it at home but will bring it to me) so it has a chance of hitting the modern internets

YygePlCl.jpg

Lots of ports on the back, including not one but TWO USB PORTS!!!

GVtAFY6l.jpg

Spec-wise, it's a Pentium III running at nearly 900mhz and has 320mb of RAM. Not bad for a machine of this era. It's also running Windows XP, which is fine by me. The screen on this one is much better than the other one I have.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, or what I can do with it, but yeah!!! :grin:

• Like 1

About a month back, I posted about finding an old Dell Inspiron 7000 laptop at work and getting it going. Remember that thing?

SR97c73l.jpg

Today, I was given another one from a friend who was going to donate it: this time it's a Circa 2000-ish Dell Inspiron 8000!

pBr736cl.jpg

The case is similar to the other one, but with these RAD palm rests and some extra buttons.

yI2tIoPl.jpg

DVD ROM!!! The drive moved to the side instead of the front.

ZbiLCOxl.jpg

Still has a 3.5" floppy drive, too.

8UnsMa0l.jpg

This one has an ethernet port and a wireless card (guy left it at home but will bring it to me) so it has a chance of hitting the modern internets

YygePlCl.jpg

Lots of ports on the back, including not one but TWO USB PORTS!!!

GVtAFY6l.jpg

Spec-wise, it's a Pentium III running at nearly 900mhz and has 320mb of RAM. Not bad for a machine of this era. It's also running Windows XP, which is fine by me. The screen on this one is much better than the other one I have.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it, or what I can do with it, but yeah!!! :grin:

I still have my Dell Inspiron 8000 I bought brand new in 2001. Mine has 512mb of RAM and is running Windows ME. The internal clock battery is dead and I have to make sure the main system battery at least has some charge or I get an error when I turn it on. The battery will charge but it gets very hot and doesn't last very long even when fully charged (maybe 10 to 15 minutes). Anyone know how to change the internal battery?

Flea market was ok today but not great, but combined with 2 neighborhood garage sales my daughter and I cleaned up big time and for little money ($35 at most.)

I ended up getting an old 50s/60s pencil sharpener for $6, a 1950s Zero model desk fan which cleaned up very well, a $100+ valued urban rebounder workout foldup trampoline and bar for $6, a brand new iron gym bar in the box for $5, a couple classic rock CDs for $2 each (best of kansas and jimi hendrix experience smash hits), some random toys for her (littlest petshop, some american girl accessories, bag full of whiffle mini balls and 2 catch/release scoops for them) and more. Very impressed on all the non-gaming goodies.

A local development had a loosely organized community yardsale earlier today and I made a pickup of the sort that I haven't really had for a while now. Normally I don't post about my finds but I want to put this out there just as proof that this sort of stuff is still out there in the wild just waiting to be found. The 4 SNES gems are Earthbound, EVO, Final Fight Guy, and Dracula X, and seem to be in good shape with no label damage beyond one of them slightly peeling in a corner. The guy selling them had others but those were the real best ones. $35 got me all 4! They'll be for sale soon as I have no interest in SNES and would much rather get better gaming value elsewhere out of them.

I also went by a house that I had gotten an NES from over a decade ago and which had since sold. The previous owners were an older couple that sold off their son's NES and a few carts back in the 2000's. The newer owners happened to be having a sale which featured a fairly un-yellowed (though still dusty) SNES and a random stack of the owner's old childhood NES carts. I've never even heard of this sort of thing happening elsewhere, but I can assure the collecting community that it is indeed possible for game stuff to be found twice at the same house from two different owners!

post-33467-0-21782900-1527971692_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-67100400-1527971700_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-58643700-1527971709_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-95372200-1527971722_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Are those snes games repros dude? The shells don't look right and it kind of looks like the screws are plastic?

I was actually wondering that myself, but I couldn't figure the economics of it if they are repros. I went ahead and ordered a security bit to open them up just in case. I've never actually opened up these types of carts before. I've found games like these (and even rarer) many times in the past, though not so much recently. Just going by looks alone they seem to be alright. I'll know for sure in a few days, hopefully.

Does seem kind of fishy, but they look legit from here.

He says the screws are plastic so they are repros. You can tell the shells have that whitish color tint to them which real games do not.

Still $9 each is not a bad deal but odds are good that EB and EVO don't hold a save.

• Like 1

Does seem kind of fishy, but they look legit from here.

Also, how you can have no interest in playing EarthBound is beyond me. That game is a masterpiece.

EVO's pretty good too, but probably not everyone's cup of tea.

Yeah, they did seem a bit too good to be true, but they were among a bunch of games that nobody would try to fake. I'm awaiting the arrival of the security bits I ordered just to be absolutely sure. Even if they are repros I paid practically nothing for them. If they are, maybe the guy himself didn't know?

I am a bit curious about Earthbound, but have it for emulators if I ever really get that itch. I just never had the system back in the day and still don't really have an interest in it. I would just test them now but the SNES system I got has none of the hookups. I have a Gamecube/N64 AV cord but not a power cord.

He says the screws are plastic so they are repros.

I didn't see him say that. I can't tell from the pics, but if they were plastic, that would be a dead giveaway. From the bootlegs I've seen, you can usually tell from the sticker print quality, but you have to look a bit closer than these pics.

Edit: Looking closer, the cropping on Final Fight Guy's label looks way off, but I don't have a copy of my own to compare to.

Edited by Asaki

I didn't see him say that.

I took it to PM w/him so not to clutter this thread. The plastic screws are likely not even screws but just molded in the plastic and those shells should just snap apart.

Look at the 2nd image next to the Nintendo games you can see that screw looks grey. Screws should either be silver or have a redish tint to them, they should be extremely noticeable from the rest of the shell.

• Like 1

Well, at least the common NES carts and the SNES system from the other house are legit. And I can at least get back the $35 I spent on what sure do seem to be repro carts after all. I was able to just pop them right open and take pics. Thanks for the tip, Iceman! :)

I really don't think the guy was trying to scam whoever happened by, as he had other common SNES carts that I can't imagine anybody faking. The math of what he likely paid and then sold them for doesn't add up in favor of a scam, either. He said he had them for a few years. Maybe somebody pulled one over on him years ago and he never knew???

So beware of what's out there- and lookout for repros that have gotten out into the wild!

post-33467-0-89493200-1527983360_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-07566200-1527983377_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-90437500-1527983396_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-34924500-1527983417_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-27133900-1527983478_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-41070900-1527983499_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-92165600-1527983535_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-05667600-1527983564_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-35576800-1527983592_thumb.jpg

post-33467-0-93396700-1527983613_thumb.jpg

$25 got me lot of 14 Atari games (11 2600 and 3 7800), manuals, and unknown brand 8 cart holder.

hA6OlDr.jpg

1uF8Ohq.jpg

The games in the cart holder has the original manuals. I have extra manuals that didn't go with games I got. I'll probably put most of them up for trade.

I got it mostly because Ballblazer 7800 is pretty pricey and because of red label Yars' Revenge. I didn't realize at the time but Sears Arcade Golf was worth a lot more than $25 I spent.

I also got a 1000 series PSP with ugly flame stickers on it + USB cable for free. No games though, and the battery sucked at about 15 minutes from full charge. But it works and it's free! Any advice on removing ugly PSP decals, both sides? I thought decals were supposed to be easy remove but this one has Gorilla-esque adhesive.

• Like 1

Even with an everdrive as cheap as those boots were, something like that FF Guy or EVO if a new battery was thrown in there would be fairly tempting. Sure I do have an everdrive, but it's nice to have something tangible, at least with a game that uses a battery save in the case of EVO. I see no reason why that guy was trying to pull anything as it's super obvious with the plastic screws it wasn't real. There are better fakes than that out now, those are a few years old, you can get stuff without the plastic screws and we're at that level now.

You should see the last couple years of GBA stuff. Right sticker, right ink/matter, right pixel density/size, art is accurate. Shells are not molded firm and accurate like a real one emblem, rear emblem, and front/back too. Boards look 100% as well looking up from the bottom, only going inside reveals the different chipset within. In some cases you may even come out ahead if it's a GBA game that used a crap battery back in the day, the newest stuff just use save chips instead so in a sad way they probably have better integrity over save longevity potentially.

• Like 1

It has gotten tricker telling repros apart from the real thing. My Chronotrigger repro looks pretty authentic, down to the screws and case. The label is just a little bit off, but you have to look very carefully. Repro is on the plastic case, but without that, I can see how a buyer and seller can easily be fooled (in this case, the seller took something in and didn't catch it).

The only way to know for certain that something is either authentic versus a reproduction is to take your screw bits with you to the store and open it up.

This video is pretty informative: