Jump to content
Happy_Dude

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Recommended Posts

Got this Sunday morning.  Found it the day before, thankfully an honest woman so when I agreed since she couldn't meet that day she held it.  Overall in good shape with the 2DS though I think I will find a way to pop up that top lens off as it's beat a little bit (visible when off at least.)  I just got out of 3DS, and I won't lie, only holding onto it for now with the 2 first party games + ace combat, rest will sell off to get most of what is in it back out as it was a good price.  I'm shocked how comfy that weird thing is with the L and R buttons way up top but it is.  Kind of on the fence for holding onto it just as a tester if I come across stuff, and in that case I'd keep Ace Combat, dump the other two as I'm fed up with both those franchises as they went off a cliff. :)

2dsfind726.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Got this Sunday morning.  Found it the day before, thankfully an honest woman so when I agreed since she couldn't meet that day she held it.  Overall in good shape with the 2DS though I think I will find a way to pop up that top lens off as it's beat a little bit (visible when off at least.)  I just got out of 3DS, and I won't lie, only holding onto it for now with the 2 first party games + ace combat, rest will sell off to get most of what is in it back out as it was a good price.  I'm shocked how comfy that weird thing is with the L and R buttons way up top but it is.  Kind of on the fence for holding onto it just as a tester if I come across stuff, and in that case I'd keep Ace Combat, dump the other two as I'm fed up with both those franchises as they went off a cliff. :)

2dsfind726.JPG

Nice never seen a clear red one like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Nice never seen a clear red one like that.

I'm a big fan of the clear Game Boys (especially the clear original Game Boy). This 2DS does look pretty cool but I ended up going with an original 3DS cause it takes up far less space and can actually fit in your pocket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

20 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

Nice never seen a clear red one like that.

I had not seen it before, but it appears to be just a standard unit that didn't even come with some freebie download game thrown on it already.  It's an interesting system, and let's face it, the 3D was mostly wasted, and definitely optional even in games that wanted you to use it, it wasn't forced.  I like I grabbed it when I did as it's comfy.  It's why I'm not just going for the money on the unit, tempted to keep it as a tester and light one to maybe mess with here or there, but nothing serious enough I'd even add it to my game list.  I'm not big on see through systems, but this deep red does look nice and I can't see where it could color change and look ugly with time as long as it's not thrown around to fog the sheen away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the red was a really common color.

I was tempted to get one, I've heard they're real comfortable, but like you said, they don't fit in your pocket, so I wouldn't have as much use for one.

There was a clear green one that was part of Japan's Pokémon Red/Green/Yellow eShop release, it was awfully pretty :lust:

 

original.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it's common but a nice choice for a common color if you didn't want one of the more solid shaded or more kiddie styled looking types.

 

It's unique, I'll say that much, as it had some different start up menu comments and even threw 'kids' in there with some because of who it was more so targeted at which surprised me they did a custom firmware for it, to a point.  It still boots with Nintendo3DS, yet they did the effort to re-write some other stuff for this style of unit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother had to go to an arthritis doctor near the state capital and we went to a Salvation Army afterwards.

 

Man, it was dry. All they had was a crummy (it literally had crust in the crevices) OG Xbox (console only, untested) for $19.99. It was insultingly high for something like that. I'd pay no more than $10 for something in that condition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My local Salvation Army store had a really crusty Model 2 Genesis for $20... and the only way I would have bought it at that price is if it was a VA4 (it wasn't).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took some vinegar and soaked the part where the batteries go.  The part that comes apart.  5 minutes later 95 percent of the rust and corrosion came off.  Dried it with some cotton balls.  And now it lights up.  Not bad for 3 bucks.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

What is the best way to clean the white stuff off contacts?

 

 

I have used plain isopropyl alcohol and that works, but I think it's usually suggested to use baking soda and water or vinegar. 

 

All of those have worked to clean it off before... I have a feeling you'll want to use the latter as there is so much to clean off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunk that battery cover with the connectors and any other part with any of that crust on it in vinegar, at the least for a few minutes, really maybe a few hours if not a day.  Watch it, it's like watching alka seltzer.  It consumes all the acid in a bubbly fury much like when you dump a penny in the stuff.  It will kill it all off, then rinse/rub away the rest after the fact with some alcohol.  Hope that the metal isn't pitted so much it rusted, if it did, then you're into like magic erase/sand paper territory to get the rest of the rusty crap off to get a clean connection.  I had to take it that far recently on a Tiger Quizwiz I found.  I had to pop the entire connector out (desolder it, which was also crusty too there) and soaked it, then had to sand it and wipe with alcohol plenty of times to get the rust off -- resoldered it after and it revived it.

 

Today for $3 I found a fairly (I think?) recent UK based 30cm(12") Sonic the Hedgehog plush with the original tags on it still and it's the OG sonic, rounded eye setup with the light blue fur, and totally spotless.  And with that $2 of it was Wario Ware for Wii complete, clear disc too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Dunk that battery cover with the connectors and any other part with any of that crust on it in vinegar, at the least for a few minutes, really maybe a few hours if not a day.  Watch it, it's like watching alka seltzer.  It consumes all the acid in a bubbly fury much like when you dump a penny in the stuff.  It will kill it all off, then rinse/rub away the rest after the fact with some alcohol.  Hope that the metal isn't pitted so much it rusted, if it did, then you're into like magic erase/sand paper territory to get the rest of the rusty crap off to get a clean connection.  I had to take it that far recently on a Tiger Quizwiz I found.  I had to pop the entire connector out (desolder it, which was also crusty too there) and soaked it, then had to sand it and wipe with alcohol plenty of times to get the rust off -- resoldered it after and it revived it.

 

Today for $3 I found a fairly (I think?) recent UK based 30cm(12") Sonic the Hedgehog plush with the original tags on it still and it's the OG sonic, rounded eye setup with the light blue fur, and totally spotless.  And with that $2 of it was Wario Ware for Wii complete, clear disc too.

Thanks vinegar totally worked.  No sand paper needed.  Lights up.  Now just got to find one of those pc usb receivers.  They are so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there ya go.  I did some digging, ebay was a dry well in the US.  I found that Sonic plushie I have, it's UK based from some years back and was like a high end amusement prize, not retail and it seems to be worth like $20-30, not bad for a dollar pick up. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Well there ya go.  I did some digging, ebay was a dry well in the US.  I found that Sonic plushie I have, it's UK based from some years back and was like a high end amusement prize, not retail and it seems to be worth like $20-30, not bad for a dollar pick up. :D

Not bad at all.  And ebay has a few receivers for sale low starting bid.  I will just keep an eye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

Xbox 360 PC Wireless receiver? I bought one with a controller at Best Buy a few years ago.

Yes but they no longer sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At $325 on craigslist, I wouldn't call it anything other than a fair price, and I didn't really need another Apple II already having a ][+, Platinum //e, //c, and a IIgs, but the monitor made it too hard to say no. I'd been watching for the particular crt model for a while and it was the first one that wasn't some ebay listing all the way across the country where I could easily spend upwards of $200 just to get a smashed monitor in a minty looking cardboard box because it was shipped by some moron who couldn't follow some basic instructions on why/how to doublebox and properly cram packing filler around a crt for shipment.

 

Behold, a 1hr round trip apple //e with missmatched Disk ][ and a very nice burn-in-free Amdek Color-I plus. The //e had school identification scratched into the side while the Amdek had it on the back. Ultimately not really a big deal to me... unlike the huge WA DL number dug into the front of my 512Ke Mac.

 

 

FullSizeRender.jpeg

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

Edited by Rockin' Kat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My turn to show off some weekend goodies, and none of it is actually games which is even more amusing, game related in ways sure, and one directly. 😄

Saturday resulted in the first image and from the Great Escape.  The little dude there Eject with the scan card, $15 (usually costs that alone.)  Every other lined up TF (and the bagged thing) piece was a parts bag for $5.  I grabbed it for Mirage, he was as usual broken on that crappy plastic waist of his. I repaired it using a blue lego piece and some super glue, basically like new again. 😄  He's my little desk toy since I have another in excellent shape on my G1 shelves.

Then today was a nice jackpot.  First being half price the farther one, saw a GIjoe book in the $3 spin rack, then noticed in shock far more, grabbed everything.  I then googled it, the 1-6 set is complete, and the Find Your Fate there are 20, I have 18 of them, and they're not cheap individually either.  Used a 25% off coupon to do $54 well spent.  2 hours ago, got home seeing a fresh facebook ad, and whamo...original owner stack of NP magazines, plus one of those index books, SuperGB and the Top Secrets, also some strange RL Stine Ghostbusters 2 book too all for $40.  All of them have their posters intact, one had a pop out arwing, it's popped out, 6~ of them have a bit of damage, noted the four worst with issue numbers on the right.  I'm going to enjoy reading that stack!

IMG_4073.jpg

IMG_4072.jpg

IMG_4076.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/17/2020 at 3:37 PM, Tanooki said:

...saw a GIjoe book in the $3 spin rack...

 

Are those the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style books? I have one of them somewhere...

 

If you think those NPs are rough, a few years later they switched to staple spines...almost all of them fell apart immediately >__<

Edited by Asaki
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Asaki said:

Are those the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style books? I have one of them somewhere...

 

If you think those NPs are rough, a few years later they switched to staple spines...almost all of them fell apart immediately >__<

Yeah they are and here's the entire series of them from the Joe-pedia. https://gijoe.fandom.com/wiki/Find_Your_Fate_book_series and and I'm missing #9 and #15.  They're seemingly popular still looking at paid out ebay listings.

 

It's a competitors line who worked to pull people off those Choose Your Own Adventure line.  Find Your Fate would license popular toy and media items and make CYOA style books out of them under the Find Your Fate line.  I used to have a few Indiana Jones books, but many old things as I said got a cut of the action.  Strangely enough the FYF books don't have a wikipedia article which shocks me as there's far more of those than CYOA over the years.

 

I think you have NP backwards.  I've still got a couple old pre-NP (Fun Club) mags and the first two years of the magazine was bi-monthly and just bound using staples, but once it went every month I believe was the same time they started to create an actual book spine as seen in the picture there.  I'm aware how fragile they were.  A couple of my oldest ones had issues, I think it was Maniac Mansion that almost lost the cover so I started to use large baggies and wrap/taped sleeves for each and stored them inside when not in use which saved them.

 

I had a scrip up until I canceled it when Future One ruined it out of the gate with lame attacks by their opinion/staff writers against Nintendo product sulking about being removed off other console makers mags.  I'm strongly considering buying back a good portion of them, at least the more cartridge based era books.  I just started going through the oldest one I've got which has Metal Storm on the cover and it's fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Asaki said:

Are those the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure style books? I have one of them somewhere...

 

If you think those NPs are rough, a few years later they switched to staple spines...almost all of them fell apart immediately >__<

I had subbed to Nintendo Power from 2002 to like 2009... they ended up all getting thrown out because they were all falling apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I think you have NP backwards.

Nope, that's way before my time.

Looks like staples started shortly before issue 80?

EEc6mzz.jpg

 

I want to say maybe #46 or #47 was our first issue, but I know I have a stack of older ones that I found at a comic shop, so my memory is a little fuzzy here. They're all tucked away at the parents' house at the moment.

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...