Jump to content
Happy_Dude

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Recommended Posts

I had a reasonably great haul at my local junk store!

 

download_20200819_132658.thumb.jpg.97467b5150f9c1f1e7e4695b726d60c9.jpg

 

The highlight of what I found was.... 

  • Xbox 360 Guitar Hero 2 controller - Expensive-ish at $29 but in nearly perfect/new condition
  • Xbox 360 Rock Band microphone - Been looking for one. I paid a few dollars more than it's worth, but it works so huzzah!
  • Black GameCube with a Game Boy Player - Yes I know the picture says $39.99, but that was the old price label. Let's just say... It was substantially less than that. 
  • PSP 3000 - This was in box, but the box only had the PSP-3000 in it plus a couple games. 3 PSP UMDs and 1 random GBA game. Found a separate PSP charger even! (Battery was bulged though and needs replaced.)
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf - Turned out to just be the case and manual, but it had a copy of Animal Crossing Wild World in it!

There were a few other odd items, but it was mostly just various useful cables and a controller. You may also admire the random kitchenware I bought if you really want?

 

(The Batman and Joker are just odd piggy banks a friend got for me... They adorn my kitchen table because I don't know.)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

No GB Player disc though? lol

 

As far as I can tell, those don't exist/never existed. :P

Technically I do have an official GB Player disc (with case and manual), but I had to buy that separately from my Game Boy Player.

 

 I tend to use the homebrew GBI software instead though. 

Edited by KeeperofLindblum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm...Staples are early, just not sure if it was from the start or came in earlier on, was a flawed mess and stopped again.  I don't have anything earlier than 17 here as I've had the FF1 guide which was that gap which kicked off 4 guides to fill the off month, and after that NP went monthly if I recall correctly.  I'm looking to load up on the more golden era stuff, pre-Cube though I wouldn't mind some of those either but I felt post 64 the magazine kind of lost its charm it was born out of.  YOu get those tiled out game guides for a few titles every month, the fun comics, the couple of dedicated tip centers, random inserts like the super power cards and so on.  It ended up being more contemporary, stale, me-too 'adult' older teen style magazine in style and print with the others out there.  Still was nice to have every month, but lacked the charm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DragonGrafx-16 said:

No GB Player disc though? lol

Don't need 'em anymore, GBI is far superior.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope I didn't kill my finders luck for the weekend, but I may have today with a combined on the way to get the kid from school find (accessory), and then on the way back from buying some doors I hit the half price and well (game pack) below is a nice image.  Spent less than $15 between the pair, so I think I made out like a bandit, especially on the game bundle.  I've tried the stick, it works, didn't have any luck making a neo geo emulator play nice with it or the stand alones from humble bundle which sucks, but it detects and runs d-pad style control only, no true joystick which is fine as it's an 8way stick I think in there anyway.  Here we have the Hori Fighting Stick VX and then Star Trek Action Pack which had ST Voyage Elite Forces+Expansion and then ST Armada 1 and 2, a 4 CD set, all complete with the manual within there too.  I looked them up was surprised to see it moves for like $80-95!  Took a bit of work to make it go on my PC, but I can see why people love and call that one Voyager game perhaps the best non point and click Trek game made to date as it seems really good.

IMG_4095.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Hope I didn't kill my finders luck for the weekend, but I may have today with a combined on the way to get the kid from school find (accessory), and then on the way back from buying some doors I hit the half price and well (game pack) below is a nice image.  Spent less than $15 between the pair, so I think I made out like a bandit, especially on the game bundle.  I've tried the stick, it works, didn't have any luck making a neo geo emulator play nice with it or the stand alones from humble bundle which sucks, but it detects and runs d-pad style control only, no true joystick which is fine as it's an 8way stick I think in there anyway.  Here we have the Hori Fighting Stick VX and then Star Trek Action Pack which had ST Voyage Elite Forces+Expansion and then ST Armada 1 and 2, a 4 CD set, all complete with the manual within there too.  I looked them up was surprised to see it moves for like $80-95!  Took a bit of work to make it go on my PC, but I can see why people love and call that one Voyager game perhaps the best non point and click Trek game made to date as it seems really good.

IMG_4095.JPG

I have the PS3 version of the same joystick... it's amazing for MAME. Oh and a Star Trek FPS was an interesting idea. I'm a big Star Trek (classic stuff not that new garbage) fan but I can't stand point n click adventure games so something with a more action is great! And one reason this collection might go for that price is that these games were never released digitally on Steam or any other platform I had to sail to high seas to get a copy of Elite Force. 

 

 

Also I found an official Game Cube controller at Goodwill today. really excited about that as I only had one working controller. 

Edited by DragonGrafx-16
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, DragonGrafx-16 said:

I have the PS3 version of the same joystick... it's amazing for MAME. Oh and a Star Trek FPS was an interesting idea. I'm a big Star Trek (classic stuff not that new garbage) fan but I can't stand point n click adventure games so something with a more action is great! And one reason this collection might go for that price is that these games were never released digitally on Steam or any other platform I had to sail to high seas to get a copy of Elite Force. 

 

 

Also I found an official Game Cube controller at Goodwill today. really excited about that as I only had one working controller. 

Yeah probably I did notice it seems suspiciously ignored.  I like it enough I don't want to cash it in for an easy near $100, don't see the point as the game is well thought out, and it's not even a straight FPS as you have to use some creative thinking on the maps like Trek would do in a situation to clear stuff so it's not a mindless run and gun or grab key doom clone.

 

I don't use MAME, I don't even like it's so utterly massive just to download the compiled release either, but getting the ROM archive is heinous.  I wish I could find some dedicated Neo nut to just compile a Neo-Geo arcade build and find the specific 150~ ROM set for that and go that route then it would be a blast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there was some goodwill at goodwill for once today.  $2/ea here (one complete, one sealed.)

 

Amusing, about 7-10 days before finding a 2DS I finally got around to selling that game so it was bugging me given what it costs, so big yay on that fix.

IMG_4192.JPG

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I'm driving this a lot lately.  I've got one I have to share.  $150 for all this yesterday.  23 games, and a New 3DSXL which had no stylus and I found earlier ago a bloating battery (getting both replaced for $12.)  This was a local thing, spotted it before it was up even 10min.  I recently got back into this buying a New 2DS XL system so this is helpful in getting a few things back/new into my hands, and the extra fluff will help pay it off and then some thankfully (or trade to something I do want.)

 

I could use the case/inserts for Yoshi and Mario Maker, would be nice to get a non-selects setup with NES Remix.  Also early in the day I was able to get a nearly perfect copy of Mario AllStars LE for Wii, sticker sealed still on top, bottom sticker was ripped away damaging the flap a bit to the white, but everything else is factory fresh looking and it was $30.  Right in time for the 18th with the Mario 3D Allstars on Switch. :D

setp13n3dsxlfind.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Super Mario All-Stars on Wii was a huge ripoff... the book and audio CD are neat (though the CD is in a DVD case so it doesn't even fit in with your CDs) but the game itself? It's like 1-2MB of data shoved on to a DVD that can hold 4.7GB...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm very well aware of what is on there, I was the other times I've had it in the past too.  It's just the emulator from their site running the SMAS ROM put to a disc and more or less, that's it.  I saw the warez-y extracted data a decade ago online to back that up.  Didn't bother me then either.

 

But maybe this will amuse you (or others) as I used that HAPPY25 code just before it expired, got this for $40 shipped.

 

Not a spot on anything, it's retail out of the wrapper fresh, and it even got shipped in a plastic box protector I didn't even realize at first until I tried to slide the game out of the plastic sleeve.

Wii-MPTrilogyLE.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got that Happy25 code message from eBay also but the dates it listed as my first purchase and sale were not even close to my firsts.  Pretty sure my first purchase was in either ‘97 or ‘98 but it said something like 2002.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 9:04 PM, Mitkraft said:

I got that Happy25 code message from eBay also but the dates it listed as my first purchase and sale were not even close to my firsts.  Pretty sure my first purchase was in either ‘97 or ‘98 but it said something like 2002.

Said the same thing too, what it did throw out there was entirely wrong pretty much across the board.  I originally am from California so I had ebay access before/around the time it name changed to eBay so I've been with them since June 9, 1997.  They were founded in N. California in 1995 at Auctionweb which I vaguely remember, and in September 1997 they switched to ebay and went national.  I still have the mail in the trash bin there.  Said I first bought the Sega Geneiss 6pak on Nov 3, 2001, and first sold on Nov 21 2002.  Also thinks the first time I ever did a best offer was on Kirby's Dream Land 3 on May 21, 2011.

 

I know for a fact that I bought for years before that Genesis cart as I remember when/why I did that at the time.  When I was in college in the 90s I would both domestic and import Super Famicom games among other interesting things I couldn't source at this well stocked local shop like 10min from my house.  I probably had a good 20 ebay SFC buys alone between 1995-2000 among quite a few other things as it was when I was really growing things.  That was also when I went multiconsole when n64 dried up for months getting a Duo from TZD.com and buying some games off ebay.  I never sold games though on there, a few random bits, though in the late 90s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's the twice-annual brush collection time here (3 sections, one week each), and I went out to cruise section 1. I got a few decent scraps of lumber, including a lot of 1/4" thick wooden flooring, which may become my Iron Chef "special ingredient" in future projects. I had already found some spilled in the street at an intersection a couple of months ago too.

 

I found quite a few interesting things. The biggest was a 5" rackmount case that may have just been put out on the curb, good thing I drive a minivan, it slipped right in. I found a crappy synth keyboard which was already pretty wrecked inside, but the keyboard might be usable, I still have yet to look at it. I also found an old 486SX-25 computer (board supports a DX-50), with (apparently) 16MB of low-profile SIMMs, but the stupid Varta battery had already leaked all over nearby traces. The bottom of the case had a lot of white rust, so it may also have had an encounter with pet urine. I just took it all apart, only the case frame and front plastic are going to get scrapped. I also got a junked 45"-ish LCD TV with a cracked screen, it'll just be fun to take apart. And a lot of printers, mostly HP-jets, but that 486 had a 24-pin dot matrix printer in bad shape, another thing full of interesting bits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 6:19 PM, Tanooki said:

...I used that HAPPY25 code just before it expired...

I assume that's some kind of discount for being an eBay member for 25 years?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Asaki said:

I assume that's some kind of discount for being an eBay member for 25 years?

Yeah that was the intent more or less, but some I've seen comment look to have been there like 20 years not 25, so they had some soft lower cut off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah that was the intent more or less, but some I've seen comment look to have been there like 20 years not 25, so they had some soft lower cut off.

Ah. I have no idea when I first signed up, couldn't find it on my profile anywhere...and searching Hotmail was no help, since thousands of emails came up, and scrolling through them all would take forever (and there was nothing in my "important stuff" folder, so I'm sure the earliest emails are probably deleted anyway).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Asaki said:

Ah. I have no idea when I first signed up, couldn't find it on my profile anywhere...and searching Hotmail was no help, since thousands of emails came up, and scrolling through them all would take forever (and there was nothing in my "important stuff" folder, so I'm sure the earliest emails are probably deleted anyway).

Find your username, click the # rating next to it.  It shows up right in the box on the page there with your sign up date and other stuff above your rating breakdown.  Looks something like this:

username here(####) 

  • Positive Feedback (last 12 months): 100%
  • Member since: Jun-09-97 in United States

 

Anyway onto the finds... had a solid pick up in the wild today outside of thrifts.  $40 got me these original first run Star Wars 1977 figures, they're intact other than a little missing corner off vaders cape up by the neck saber side and 2 spare sabers too that telescope from the hand.  And then another $3 got me this retrobit go retro handheld with 36 NES titles on there, one is strangely Tengen Tetris, now finally made 'legal' by the Tetris company and using the Nintendo Music-A music while re-skinning the visuals largely including some nice background art which is like a mind blowing thing if you think about the battles over that old game 30 years ago+.

 

starwars77-goretro.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2020 at 11:26 PM, Tanooki said:

Find your username, click the # rating next to it.

Ah, of course:

Member since: Aug-27-06

 

Looks like I've still got a while, yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh, I totally missed the HAPPY25 code. I got into the habit of ignoring eBay messages, so I missed it. Looks like it expired on September 10. Oh well.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got this hell of a deal for $60 earlier. NFS. I've got plans, long overdue plans with some parts I've held onto for over a year due to a mishap then.

 

I've got an HHL LED panel/wire setup still new, new glass lens, an immaculate Blue Game Gear shell, and I've got a 3d printed mount bracket for that LED and a cap kit coming hopefully in a week.

 

Got this off the original owner, still works, just brightness is going. Inside inspection was pretty clean, nothing corroded at first glance. Amazingly that battery pack not only works but retains a solid lasting charge too. Can't wait to clean this up. Odds are 50/50 at this rate how I feel after about it, but may just keep and get an everdrive. :D

 

Also picked up 3 games on the side at a friends shop for $20 who oddly was a 1/3mi away from pick up. Chicago Syndicate, Columns, and Psychic World. I already had another Sonic 2 and Pac-Attack.

segagamegearva1.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Got this hell of a deal for $60 earlier. NFS. I've got plans, long overdue plans with some parts I've held onto for over a year due to a mishap then.

 

I've got an HHL LED panel/wire setup still new, new glass lens, an immaculate Blue Game Gear shell, and I've got a 3d printed mount bracket for that LED and a cap kit coming hopefully in a week.

 

Got this off the original owner, still works, just brightness is going. Inside inspection was pretty clean, nothing corroded at first glance. Amazingly that battery pack not only works but retains a solid lasting charge too. Can't wait to clean this up. Odds are 50/50 at this rate how I feel after about it, but may just keep and get an everdrive. :D

 

Also picked up 3 games on the side at a friends shop for $20 who oddly was a 1/3mi away from pick up. Chicago Syndicate, Columns, and Psychic World. I already had another Sonic 2 and Pac-Attack.

segagamegearva1.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together!  

 

Kicker is,  it doesn't even have to be my plan 😉 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing major but I was really thrilled to find this on a shelf for $7.  I thumbed a few pages and I didn't see a thing in there that looked uninteresting.  This is the 2019 5th edition version so it looks like the latest/final edition of it perhaps.

s-l500.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd pretty much written off ever finding anything again at goodwill,  since they seem to cherry pick video games for their auction site.  Since finding Gauntlet for the GameCube a few weeks back for 2 bucks,  I figured I should hit them every now and then. Nothing major here,  other than actually finding cartridge games,  which i haven't seen there in years. Prices were 2-3 bucks per game. 20201005_133537.thumb.jpg.0e5ee7c1b1a0aba14ebe6172f3214ebf.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...