IGNORED

The Official "Thrift finds" Thread

Happy_Dude

One of the local Goodwills I frequent had a plethora of PS2 games! It was all non-sports games. I tried not to be super greedy but still got 7 titles and a Guitar Hero guitar. ($44 with tax)

PXL_20220330_205658835.thumb.jpg.acb3706e50e5c0870d47852b70e15d0a.jpg

Everything is basically complete and relatively clean!

It all works... except the Rogue Leader, which really bums me out as I know that's an expensive one. :(

• Like 5

Rouge Leader is an expensive mess now too?  Gamecube has become so utterly and annoyingly toxic during and after the virus, it like Gameboy as of a year ago are the things to really take advantage over.

I don't report finds anymore but in the last 2-3mo I've had some stellar GC finds for prices you'd find from 5 years ago, in some cases more and I was quite happy to have that happen.  Always good to add some variety at a level where risk is worth the investment.

On 3/30/2022 at 9:53 PM, Tanooki said:

Rouge Leader is an expensive mess now too?  Gamecube has become so utterly and annoyingly toxic during and after the virus, it like Gameboy as of a year ago are the things to really take advantage over.

I don't report finds anymore but in the last 2-3mo I've had some stellar GC finds for prices you'd find from 5 years ago, in some cases more and I was quite happy to have that happen.  Always good to add some variety at a level where risk is worth the investment.

Actually looks like I was mistaken... Seems like it's a much more modest price than it was. I swear this title was more like $30+, but most of the eBay sold listings are showing more like $15-20. 

Still got a decent deal on it, and I even managed to clean it and get it working too!

Then I went back to the same Goodwill and picked up a couple more PS2 games. :lol:

Tetris Worlds and Namco Museum. 

• Like 3

Well another thrift store day, another couple of office Dells.

$8 each and I left a stack of other ones there (I'm trying to cut down)

They're from an MSP, and came with their HDDs. Which means they were easy to get into, since the valid(!) password was stickied right to one, and being an MSP, the admin pwd was also blank on both. (I was hoping they'd put up at least a little fight). However, also being from an MSP, they don't have any bitcoin or 'selfies' on them so...boring. Just a lot of outdated customer info from a couple dozen local businesses :D

So if you like elevation diagrams and hourly billing, boy howdy do I have the mother lode.

• Vostro 1700 has a 256mb nvidia 8400m, but a slow 1.4ghz core2duo
  • smaller Vostro 1520 has intel nothing-or-other graphics, but a 2.2ghz core2duo, and a spiffy red exterior

neither are especially awesome at gaming but obviously can do a bit. If that faster CPU were the one paired with the Nvidia graphics, it'd be darn impressive.

Since they don't fit into my ("sweet" dell d-port setup) I'll finish up looking for dox, and probably never turn them on ever again.

XufYv8mm.jpg

Freelancer and X3 Reunion

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

Another delightful Goodwill find! (No pictures)

Brain Age 1 and Brain Age 2 for Nintendo DS. Complete with case and manual. Both in very good and near mint condition!

Not bad for $5 each. Just never seen them complete in box before... Honestly I think one of the first time's I've seen Nintendo DS games in general at Goodwill. 

• Like 3

I don't like NASCAR.

Pic unrelated.

As much as NASCAR's not fully my thing, Papyrus games sure are. The one with the joypad is still sealed, though it is heavily sun-faded on the front.  I wound up with all this when I went shopping for Papyrus' Indycar/CART titles--and I missed. ;)

One of the Papyrus founders went on to make iRacing, which is still popular today, and is the home of the eNASCAR racing series.

hFxC5oam.jpg

So it's:

NASCAR Racing (Sealed)

NASCAR Racing 2 with the Grand National Series expansion disc,

NASCAR Racing 1999

3D Ultra NASCAR Pinball

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KeeperofLindblum said:

Another delightful Goodwill find! (No pictures)

Brain Age 1 and Brain Age 2 for Nintendo DS. Complete with case and manual. Both in very good and near mint condition!

Not bad for $5 each. Just never seen them complete in box before... Honestly I think one of the first time's I've seen Nintendo DS games in general at Goodwill. 

Pics or it didn’t happen. 

Hahaha jk nice find. I really enjoyed BA. I got so fast at that fast math writing one. Felt so smart hahaha. 

• Haha 2

@Reaperman Feel the same about NASCAR, but Papyrus, at least that first DOS NASCAR game was fantastic either to goof with to the edge or take seriously.  I put time into that back in the mid 90s got ot where since NASCAR since it only turns one way I could knock a tire off the car and keep it going for fun for awhile, or play destruction derby with the others just to see how far I could push it towards a blown engine.

• Like 1

Not exactly a console or strictly a thrift find, but I wasn’t sure where else to post this.

Hit up the final day of a estate sale this weekend and picked up this 366Mhz Celeron setup. I had no idea it was half off day when I offered them $10 since it wasn’t priced, so I was pretty happy getting it all for $5. :) Super clean and looks like it was only used for Internet, Office, and syncing a palm pilot. Replaced the battery, set the boot partition, and it booted right up.

Been enjoying reading@eightbit's 486 build thread, so I hope to get this running as a gaming computer real soon.

3fb105cef687afd8be820c40eb01b63b.jpg

Edited by schnuth
  • Like 8

On 4/9/2022 at 11:10 PM, ussexplorer said:

To lazy to take a picture. Something I have not seen in years at a thrift store. Atari 2600 4 switcher for $7.99 + tax. I already opened it up and struck the way dirty, dirty, dusty and gunk covered stuff. Looks like new.

Please you gotta post a pic.

Beautiful! That's quite a capable DOS gaming machine right there! Why oh why can I no longer find deals like this? I would have paid $50 for it with no haggling...but $5. Wow. GREAT JOB!

Thanks, I’m pretty excited about it. When I asked how much it was the guy asked me if $20 sounded good before I countered with $10. They clearly wanted it gone. It also came with 90 days of AOL! [emoji1]

e74c030d54c1a140500db42f4b21e7f3.jpg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I picked up these two CRTs at my local Unique (aka Savers).

Found the big boy (SANSUI) in a shelf full tiny flat screens. Thought is was to big, but couldn't pass it up when I saw the connectors on the back.

Had to barrow a special cart to move the black one. Well moving the it up front, I found the small guy (PHILLIPS) Under pile of large canvas paintings and three bed headboards. Had a 20% off coupon too. $24 for the big boy and $16 for little guy. Also got a nice pair of ALTEC LANSING computer speakers as well (not pictured).

The lady at the check-out was like "we aren't even supposed to have tube tvs at all". Didn't tell her these are more sought-after then the flat screen over-priced crap they normally sell. The Phillips even had the remote with it! From what I can gather, both probably do 480i on component. The big one might have an atsc tuner.

I'll have to find my good playsation cables for my PS3 to test them sometime later.

TVs1.thumb.jpg.0214e0192846e433d117de8d39430763.jpg

TVs2.thumb.jpg.0820c765129e07ce4a681940340d2f6d.jpgTVs3.jpg.0c492b52b49965bc53c263cc040b140b.jpgTVs4.thumb.jpg.76b80bff37528d3cb21c475e56433b91.jpgTVs5.thumb.jpg.5a84db8cf2acfedefa4b0b088e7b5974.jpg

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Mitkraft said:

@H454 I have that same Sansui TV as my primary console monitor.  I picked it up several years ago from a Craigslist ad because of its digital tuner and SDTV capability.  It really is a gorgeous gaming monitor!

Yea, I did some web searching and found a couple reddit posts. Looks like people like it.

Have you tried those component snes / genesis cable on yours?

6 hours ago, H454 said:

Yea, I did some web searching and found a couple reddit posts. Looks like people like it.

Have you tried those component snes / genesis cable on yours?

No, I don’t have an SNES or Genesis.  I have used it with etim’s RGB with component mod for 2600 and it works great.  Also works great with OG Xbox in 480 mode.  I intend to use it with an RGB modded Odyssey 2, NES, and SMS via component transcoder but I haven’t gotten around to all the projects needed to get me there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The inclusion of MUSHA makes me think it's fake. Too many high ticket items and not enough regular games to be real.

(For sure, though, a couple of these I could use, and I still regret selling Steel Empire years ago, although I just wasn't that enamored with the constant slowdown in the game!)

Nice Genesis selection depending on taste.  I had a little luck too that way, got a $40 copy of Landstalker over a month ago, given it's complete and was hitting $100 then that was a no brainer.  Also do have loose that Super Thunder Blade since last week, Atomic Runner too weeks ago loose too.  Galaxy Force II I have CIB as well locally, and that Trouble Shooter I got relatively cheap loose and it's a fun one.

Trying to work on a trade at the moment it would net that PStar4 game cart only with 2 other games.  I'd like to get that Steel Empire in time, had it on the more compressed GBA and it was fun so I figure having the right amount of uncompromised space to fly in would improve things.