IGNORED

Hack-O-Matic

raindog

Thanks to King Atari, for pointing out what I did wrong. His Xenophobe Plus is very cool. I just tweakes with the motorcycle graphis on Stunt Cycle. I made it a little smaller, and it looks more like a motorcycle. When I find out how to raise the ramps, I'll release DAREDEVIL.

I'd like to name it after a "certain" stuntman, but I don't wanna end up in court. I have screenshots, if anyone wants to take a peek. Just let me know. Thanks.

Keep on Chooglin'!

Here's a hack of Ghostbusters. I basically enlarged the ghosts to make them easier to catch. They look pretty chubby, but gameplay should be much easier. The ghosts on the city screen have a long white line following them, apparently I goofed with the code somewhere. Also, I'm working on GB II, hopefully I'll be able to fix those ledges (keep your fingers crossed!).

gbimprov.zip

Here we go! For anyone who's found Ghostbusters II impossible, this is for you. I've shortened the ledges in screen one, making it really easy to reach the bottom. All you do is swing and get the items floating in the air, and you're all set! This is definitely one for the hacks page (though the Als are the judges of that).

However, I used Thomas's NTSC conversion, and I want to make sure it's cool with him before I put it up. If he gives it his OK, I'll post it. If not, I'll put the PAL one up.

I have been unable to load any ROM's larger than 4k in the Hack-O-Matic. I see King Atari obviously has not had this problem, since Ghostbusters and Xenophobe are both greater than 4k.

I'm running this in Window 98--the actual version. (This is an old laptop) Anyone else had this trouble?

I have been unable to load any ROM's larger than 4k in the Hack-O-Matic.  I see King Atari obviously has not had this problem, since Ghostbusters and Xenophobe are both greater than 4k.

I'm running this in Window 98--the actual version. (This is an old laptop)   Anyone else had this trouble?

Yeah, it locks up on me, too. (On the occasions when it hasn't, it takes waaaaay too long to load.)

Mac should be on duty at the field by now.

THANKS FOR REMEMBERING THE MAC USER WHO ASKED!

I WAS ABLE TO GET THE HACK O MATIC TO WORK ON THE MACK SIDE AND THE HACKING WORKS ON A PC EVEN IF I HACK IT ON A MAC. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. BY THE WAY, THE ATTACHED HACKS IN THIS AREA LOOK GREAT. LOOK TO SEE A FEW OF MY OWN!

8)

Here is the official documentation for running Hack-O-Matic (I'm improvising here, but since I never wrote any now's a good a time as any.)

Using Hack-O-Matic

1. Start Hack-O-Matic. Under Windows this may be accomplished by double clicking hackomatic.exe. Under Linux using a command line you would do "wish hackomatic.tcl" or "./hackomatic" if you downloaded the all-in-one version. It varies on other platforms.

2. Using the menu, select and open a 2600 BIN file or other small binary file you wish to edit. In case you need it spelled out, you click the File menu, then Open. Pick the file you want in the dialog as you would in any other application.

3. Wait far too long. On my Celeron 400, a 4K BIN file like Space Invaders takes 20 seconds to load; on my Duron 800 it takes 10 seconds. Sorry.

4. You should be looking at a sort of chessboard with the squares all mixed up. This is a graphical representation of the data in the file. Scroll down using the scrollbar on the right hand edge of the window until you see patterns that resemble the shapes in the game you want to hack. They will probably be upside-down because that's how many 2600 developers did things. And they will probably be pretty near the bottom of the file.

5. Using the mouse, click on the squares to "draw" your hacked graphics. Clicking on a black square turns it white. Clicking on a white square turns it black.

6. When you have finished, click the File menu, then click Save As. Choose a new name for your hacked BIN file, and click the Save button.

7. Go back to step 2, or if you're all done, click the File menu then click Exit.

I don't know how to spell it out in any greater detail than that without making your head swim.

Rob

@Atari Freak

You may not be able to do that easily. I didn't look in the rom itself, but I have a suspicion that the "pins" are made of playfield pixels...which are pretty wide compared to P/M graphics.

Anyone confirm?

your probably right, Although, I was mad cause I couldn't find where to do it, I radomly clicked in a particular area and I changed the way the pins are set up! :? and they acctully knocked down like that!

post-1376-1041690598_thumb.png

Heh, yeah, Atari Freak, that was the very first thing I wanted to try and change too...I also was unsuccessful...that pin setup is funny...any way to get a srtike on it :D

I had a funny Pac-Man hack blooper when I was messing around with trying to make the mouth open up more like it does in the arcade...the animation actually looked ok...but at the end, his lower lip would extend forward...it was very funny!! I don't think I still have that bin file...

Hack-O-Matic is a fun little program!!!