IGNORED

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

NIAD

At least 150 people especially seeing as it is an original game and would have the added benefit of visibilty seeing as it would be a BSR release.

Would have been cool to see it on the CV Flashback (as "generic"), but they also decided not to include the "generic" Tron titles on the INTV Flashback which I think was a mistake/unfortunate. The Flashbacks are not going to make enough $ to spend on Disney licenses.

Looking at the cart label designs, those three all look like they're for the Atari 2600 and not the ColecoVision.

I concur, but these 3, along with the Intellivsion Blix cart are what I believe were the 4 secret games that GDG was bringing. I don't think it was ever said GDG was bringing 4 secret ColecoVision games. At least that's how I've been interpreting the info based on other posts over the last little while.

I concur, but these 3, along with the Intellivsion Blix cart are what I believe were the 4 secret games that GDG was bringing. I don't think it was ever said GDG was bringing 4 secret ColecoVision games. At least that's how I've been interpreting the info based on other posts over the last little while.

Ah - likely my misinterpretation then. In many ways I'm glad - I would of hated to have missed out on the opportunity to pick up new some CV games.

• 2 years later...

Old thread, but I just found it. I bought the 2600 version of this game for my CV Expansion Module I. The idea that there is a CV version out there unreleased is amazing but is killing me!!!! Also really want to know what MOTU II would have been. I have an MOTU "Arcade Game" produced for the C64, but I believe that was in Britain.

• 2 years later...
On 5/14/2011 at 8:19 PM, NIAD said:

Just wanted to pass along to all the AtariAge members, who didn't have the opportunity to see the game demoed at CGE '99 by the Blue Sky Rangers, some pics as well as two short videos of this infamous game. From what little there is to see, it looks like it might be a very good game with some superb graphics and gameplay... in fact the flying ship portion of the game is reminiscient of Moon Patrol with it's parallax scrolling and multiple directions in which to fire.

This is just another sampling of what the "Coleco Museum", that Retroillucid and I are assembling, will feature.

post-25956-0-26048800-1305418607_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-41131100-1305418619_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-24373700-1305418634_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-30426600-1305418640_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-99057400-1305418644_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-34757200-1305418649_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-32988000-1305418657_thumb.png

post-25956-0-56162000-1305418662_thumb.gif

post-25956-0-58459200-1305418668_thumb.gif

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man - Videos.zip 1006.85 kB · 279 downloads

I would love to have a copy of this game, and I would pay a little over $100 for it! 

• Like 2

A little warning to anyone doing anything He-Man without permission, James Eatock finished a New Episode of He-Man called " The Return Of Faker " He was going to show it at Power-Con ( He-Man Convention ) And recently NBC ? Universal is rereleasing the Original He-Man series on DVD, and Banned him from ever showing that episode anywhere, his first act, and second act of that episode on YouTube was also taken down, not by him, so if some one makes a He-Man game without permission, that same could happen or worse!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
12 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Many people asked about a dump, which wasn't answered.  My guess is BSR stipulated no release of the rom, which is unfortunate. 

Somewhere on a post by them they said due to licencing requirements it wouldn't be released. Which from what I understood as always been BSR's stance

• 3 weeks later...

He-Man is picking up some steam as a re-vitalized property thanks to Netflix.  First the new She-Ra series, now two new He-Man animated series coming to Netflix, plus a live action movie.  And of course Mattel is planning a massive re-launch of the toy line for later this summer.

Wonder if the time might be right for somebody to approach Mattel and see if they might be willing to come down on price a little bit to get this game released, present it as a kind of mini-marketing opportunity.  A limited run of copies of a legendarily unreleased game for a 40 year old system to celebrate 40 years of He-Man...

I think it's the kind of thing that could get some cool press, would be well worth them coming off the $5,000 price point just to print up let's say a limited run of 1,000 copies or something.  Making a big deal out of it would also by parallel perhaps drive some sales of the ColecoVision Phoenix or whatever and the cartridge itself.  It could be a really fun little marketing gimmick if done correctly; after all, He-Man is largely about nostalgia anyway for the moment (although I know they are trying to make it a current "thing" again).

• Like 1

Great idea. It would be nice to see them do 'Something' with it, anything! Rather than it just sitting there in a display case collecting dust, why not actually try to make some money off of it for once and recoup some of the development costs. After all, it's all about money to them. ?Wishful thinking anyway. ?

On 5/3/2020 at 7:05 AM, mozartpc27 said:

He-Man is picking up some steam as a re-vitalized property thanks to Netflix.  First the new She-Ra series, now two new He-Man animated series coming to Netflix, plus a live action movie.  And of course Mattel is planning a massive re-launch of the toy line for later this summer.

Wonder if the time might be right for somebody to approach Mattel and see if they might be willing to come down on price a little bit to get this game released, present it as a kind of mini-marketing opportunity.  A limited run of copies of a legendarily unreleased game for a 40 year old system to celebrate 40 years of He-Man...

I think it's the kind of thing that could get some cool press, would be well worth them coming off the $5,000 price point just to print up let's say a limited run of 1,000 copies or something.  Making a big deal out of it would also by parallel perhaps drive some sales of the ColecoVision Phoenix or whatever and the cartridge itself.  It could be a really fun little marketing gimmick if done correctly; after all, He-Man is largely about nostalgia anyway for the moment (although I know they are trying to make it a current "thing" again).

Mattel owns the trademark side of things.

Did BSR do the original development back in 83?

Did the copyright+code end up with BSR in modern times? Or did they just have access to the/an unreleased cart?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone reached out to Mattel recently to see if they would entertain this ever being released?  Our company has worked with them before, and I have some contacts there that I could talk with to see if they would be willing.  If we were able to get an agreement in place, would someone have access to the ROM file to flash on new cards and distribute for purchase?

I'd really like to get this game released.  It looks awesome, and I have great memories of the toys and cartoons as a kid.

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I cross-posted about this whole situation over on the He-Man.org forums because I am reasonably certain there are Mattel employees who at least glance at that forum from time to time, and heck, why not:

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?279754-Mattel-I-know-you-read-this-forum!-Authorize-release-of-unreleased-ColecoVision-port

• Like 2

On 5/4/2020 at 4:27 PM, bhall408 said:

Mattel owns the trademark side of things.

Did BSR do the original development back in 83?

Did the copyright+code end up with BSR in modern times? Or did they just have access to the/an unreleased cart?

The game was created by Mattel Electronics, a subsidiary of Mattel.  In 1984 their video game IP was sold to INTV Corp. Around 1997, it came under the control of Intellivision Productions (Keith Robinson & Steve Roney).  A couple of years ago it transferred to Tommy Tallarico's company.  And that should include the copyrights to the game code for this MOTU cartridge.  Not sure who has the prototype today; it could still be on loan to the national video game museum in texas.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The game was created by Mattel Electronics, a subsidiary of Mattel.  In 1984 their video game IP was sold to INTV Corp. Around 1997, it came under the control of Intellivision Productions (Keith Robinson & Steve Roney).  A couple of years ago it transferred to Tommy Tallarico's company.  And that should include the copyrights to the game code for this MOTU cartridge.  Not sure who has the prototype today; it could still be on loan to the national video game museum in texas.

I think Tommy Tallarico has been known to frequent AtariAge. If they are truly the owner of the video game side of things maybe there is an off chance that he could convince Mattel to allow the ColecoVision game to be released in some fashion.

• Like 1

I’m still very interested in this game seeing a release. I was captivated by the awesome graphics and entertaining game play. It would be cool if—in the case of it not being finished—extra levels could be integrated. This is wishful thinking, but I envision this would make an incredible long-play action-adventure game with challenging screens and levels. 

According to the intellivisionlives website, when show at 1984 ces, "The game was essentially finished, needing just a little fine tuning."  Steve Roney should know, he was the programmer and is a user on atariage.  He's also a VP at Tallarico's company.

Edited by mr_me

There is no big secret to the CV version, just imagine the Intellivision version that was released with improved graphics and sound.

Easy enough to do since you can download the rom image and play on an emulator if you don’t own the Intellivision. And therein lies the hypocrisy of it all, you can download the Inty version from numerous sites all over the Web!

Far too many games available, both legacy and homebrews, on the CV to be concerned about this. If it eventually is shared with the community, great, if not, who cares!