IGNORED

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

NIAD

The game was sold for $4,371.00 
Our final bid was $4,300.00  

We NEVER EVER expected someone would bid that much.  I guess we were completely off on this one!
I initially thought the game was sold to a MotU fan, that would have make sense... to me at least.

Now, I can understand the guy doesn't want to simply give away the rom file
He could however quickly recoup his money  by doing his own game and then the rom file would come with it as a free bonus. 

Am I mad?  No
Am I disappointed?  Yes
But that's also not the end of the world as well 

Having saved, preserved and publicly released all the prototypes we found (And we'll keep doing that)
I don't understand having a prototype not released is something some collectors are doing and cherish. 
I could just make a unique game, let's say the next Sydney Hunter game and not release it 
But then again, I just don't see the point... 

So, here was my take on this

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

I had a contest that you buy a game with a certificate entry form.

So instead of close to 5 Grand it would have been more like around $50 to offset costs.

ANYONE could have won it then released or did whatever they wanted but Swami decided he was going to spoil things so I shelved the contest then some guy named Lawdawg710 literally went nuts.

Once again...  I bought it, it's mine and I am entitled to do whatever I want with it.  Where does everyone get off claiming they have rights to this.

I could have kept it quiet but I dropped little hints to have faith ect... then the contest but somehow you have me getting the idea that I am not welcome here.  if I not welcome here me and Mr. He-Man will be walking away where as I will give away and/or sell my games elsewhere.

Then you can ask Swami and Lawdawg710 why you have to wait another 30 years to see that game.

Somehow I think they will still blame me.

I'm sorry, you must have got the impression that I give a shit what you do. You can crush that cart up and snort it for all I care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

18 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Having saved, preserved and publicly released all the prototypes we found (And we'll keep doing that)

I don't understand having a prototype not released is something some collectors are doing and cherish.

It's that lording thing. Spot it a mile away.

I used to do that with certain bits of tech decades ago, but it turned out to be a hollow experience as disillusionment from cognitive dissonance set in. In other words the bit of tech turned out to be far less special and spectacular in light of others' greater accomplishments.

19 minutes ago, Shawn said:

I'm sorry, you must have got the impression that I give a shit what you do. You can crush that cart up and snort it for all I care.

BTW, he changed the part about the winner being able to release the rom on the proto after he cancelled the contest, so he could shift the blame; and 1) he was checking to see if he could legally enforce not letting the winner share it up to the point he cancelled the contest and 2) there would only be a winner if he sold enough to cover the proto (like 240 copies or more). If you only buy the game for the giveaway, what happens if you've bought the game but there is no giveaway? Never made it too such mysteries as he went bananas too quick.

• Like 1

Just now, Swami said:

BTW, he changed the part about the winner being able to release it after he cancelled it, so he could shift the blame.

It's 1 of 3 known copies so there are 2 more out there that could see this game make it to the masses in the future in some format. All 3 copies have been dumped so the 1's and 0's are out there. It's a matter of when not if. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

He could however quickly recoup his money  by doing his own game and then the rom file would come with it as a free bonus. 

He couldn't do this since he wanted to be 100% legal.  His idea was to hand off the prototype to one person.  Since that person would have relatively little invested in the prototype, they could lend it to someone else who would be willing to leak a copy or two.

23 minutes ago, Shawn said:

It's 1 of 3 known copies so there are 2 more out there that could see this game make it to the masses in the future in some format. All 3 copies have been dumped so the 1's and 0's are out there. It's a matter of when not if. 

Only two are playable, but I get your point. I think it was said that the non-working one is the one in the museum, so BSR may put the other working one up for sale. Which reminds me of Itchy's comments about how he thought the other protos and roms should be destroyed if he was going to buy the proto for sale.

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Exactly.  It will be found when it wants to be found.  It's not the end of the world.

29 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

I don't think anyone was expecting him to give the rom away for free (at least I wasn't).  It would have been the ultimate goodwill gesture, but people who spend that kind of money and give things away are few and far between.  You're one of special ones. :)

I don't think the whole giving the rom away for free with a copy of his game thing would have worked out (if that was even his plan).  I think lawyers for whoever owns the rights to He-Man these days would have smacked that whole scheme down.  Then again, who knows if they'd even notice.  Corporate lawyers can be funny that way.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Itchy Scratchy said:

Thanks Moderator Tempest.

Goodbye.

Close the thread, close my AA Account

You were warned

Seriously what was that ''you were warned'' about ??? we don't need that kind of attitude in the Atariage community.  You have the right not to release the rom just don't brag about it to everyone

14 minutes ago, retroillucid said:

Well, that's sad then :(

It's understandable.  It usually comes down to why someone bought it in the first place:

1. As an investment to sell later

2. Just to own it

3. To make money off it now by selling copies

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, fdr4prez said:

4. Buy for spite

To be honest, I really feel that is why he did what he did.  I may be wrong, but through all of the posts he has ever made on the forums, that is the type of personality he seemed to be, very spiteful.  

My only regret is I let my frustration over the situation to show here.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lawdawg710 said:

To be honest, I really feel that is why he did what he did.  I may be wrong, but through all of the posts he has ever made on the forums, that is the type of personality he seemed to be, very spiteful.  

My only regret is I let my frustration over the situation to show here.  

eh, I now realize we outed him before he did anything truly despicable.

• Like 2

Sad, very, very sad. I think we lost something good for the platform, but supporting those who gloat, brag, and seem to be spiteful simply isn't permissable of course. I'm half and half on this guy. Obviously he was very talented, but his ego and his narcissism seem to have alienated all, creating strife and childish antics. I regret that he is so fragile a person.

I have known others like him. It usually doesn't turn out well. In the long run, I think the community has lost a few great games... but has been spared a LOT of drama. Simply disappointed at this terrible turn of events.

• Like 2