IGNORED

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

NIAD

4 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

I received a fairly loooooong unsolicited email from "Scratchy" the other day, to which I replied.  I believe he deserves a good portion of blame for being so confusing and cryptic on this thread.  However, there's plenty of blame to go around.  Several users went after his contest on this other thread, which most of us on this one (including myself) probably had no idea existed.  I have no idea what he initially wrote as he edited it, but a few people went after him and moderators did nothing.  Swami at least had the decency to apologize several times.  lawdawg is another matter, and frankly our moderators allowed him to blast this guy away without penalty.  As for the multiple accounts, he did so "to plead his case to Al."  If there are other accounts, he said his employees are on the same network (hence same IP).  Not exactly AA's finest hour.

I criticized him for rubbing his win in our faces and trying to restrict the prize winner to not being able to do as he chooses with the rom. Never told him we deserved for him to give us the rom. He was just deflecting. If you look at the thread I said "I've got along without it for this long, I can keep going without it," or something like that. There were like 2 posts one day and two posts another. Both times he took it out on the whole community to try to turn them against me. People do have a right to briefly criticize ridiculous ideas. He posted asking for people to back him and no one did. I rarely criticize people. Meanwhile, he didn't tell you the whole story about the multiple accounts, like how he insulted homebrewers with the Richard account and then defended them with the Itchy account to both make other homebrewers look bad and make himself look like a supporter. I could speculate on other things, like maybe why he outbid on the rom just to block CollectorVision, but never went there. I stuck to the facts. Anyhow, it's likely he'll sell his games elsewhere if that is what's bothering you. This is what trolls do, BTW, they just keep beating a dead horse (him, not you).

I don't see anyone gloating over it, either. I think everyone wishes it would have turned out better. As he's done it the past, he just makes things up to make himself look better and make his critics look worse.

• Like 3

If there are other accounts, he said his employees are on the same network (hence same IP).

So, he has so many employees, that the chances are high that several of them are AA members?  Cool company.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

As for the multiple accounts, he did so "to plead his case to Al."  If there are other accounts, he said his employees are on the same network (hence same IP).

Are you sure it wasn't his dog?  You know...the same one that ate his homework.

On 1/21/2021 at 10:55 PM, zyzzle said:

Simply disappointed at this terrible turn of events.

Unfortunate but life is filled with disappointment.

• Haha 1

As for the multiple accounts, he did so "to plead his case to Al."  If there are other accounts, he said his employees are on the same network (hence same IP).  

This claim confuses me. Al said his accounts were removed after he created his last fake account, so 1. why would he need to create an account to plead his case to Al and 2. Why would he say to remove his account if he wanted to plead his case to Al?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Swami said:

This claim confuses me. Al said his accounts were removed after he created his last fake account, so 1. why would he need to create an account to plead his case to Al and 2. Why would he say to remove his account if he wanted to plead his case to Al?

I only took away is posting ability, he still had read access and could send PMs.  There was no reason to create yet another account to 'plead his case'.  He and his other accounts weren't banned until after he created the last one.

5 hours ago, rietveld said:

That F ing awesome.

I thought that just the ROM was donated to them.

Was there any info with this display?

"

Today we take a look at Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man for Colecovision. Completed at the height of the crash of ’83, Masters of the Universe was a fairly popular hit for the Atari 2600 & Intellivision consoles. However, the Colecovision version went unreleased despite the fact that it boasted expanded gameplay and superior graphics as well as a crossover audience with cartoon and action figure fans.
The prototype of Coleco Masters of the Universe was briefly demoed at Classic Gaming Expo ‘99 by the Blue Sky Rangers and remained shrouded in mystery until they recently donated it to the National Videogame Museum. Unlike other unearthed prototypes, Masters of the Universe cannot be given a modern limited release due to the vast licensing issues involved. Shown here is a picture of the prototype cartridge, a screenshot of the game’s title-screen, and an original piece of artwork from the game’s development depicting Castle Grayskull.
Were you a He-Man fan back in the day? Or did you just recently become a Master of the Universe from Netflix’s recent She-Ra revival? Share your memories of the cartoons, action figures or videogames with us!"
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Swami said:

From National Videogame Museum

"Today we take a look at Masters of the Universe: The Power of He-Man for Colecovision. Completed at the height of the crash of ’83, Masters of the Universe was a fairly popular hit for the Atari 2600 & Intellivision consoles. However, the Colecovision version went unreleased despite the fact that it boasted expanded gameplay and superior graphics as well as a crossover audience with cartoon and action figure fans.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:21 AM, BSRSteve said:

I had learned Z-80 while programming Utopia for Aquarius, so was a natural choice for Colecovision development when it was started in mid-late 1983. It boggles my mind a little how close I came to releasing four titles on three platforms at a job I held for only 27 months. I don't remember much about the specifics of developing the game, except that it was a fairly direct port of the Intellivison version, but taking advantage of any improvements that were possible.

I expect it's a faithful conversion of the intellivision game play

Edited by mr_me

23 hours ago, lawdawg710 said:

I didn't blast him.  If calling him out is blasting him then we have far different definitions of what that means.  He has, through his history on these forums, been very calous and condescending to many many people who have contributed far more to this community than he has.  I call it like I see it and I can assure you I was very mild in my responses to him.  I even posted screen shots of him doing everything counter to what he previously stated.  His only response to that was to say he changed his mind.  

So if the admins want to punish me for speaking my mind, so be it.  The forum isnt mine and they have the right.  But please spare me the "lawdawg was allowed to blast him without penalty" junk!!!

Those were his words as I interpreted as his email was a mess, but shouldn't have posted anything from him.  Sorry.

14 hours ago, rietveld said:

That F ing awesome.

I thought that just the ROM was donated to them.

Was there any info with this display?

3 prototype cartridge PCBs exist and they were all dumped to rom image format.

The pictured cartridge is thought to have been assembled by the BSR for CGE '99, including the label.

Check Post #01 in this thread for further pics and a link to a video.

I keep thinking about the “took his ball and left the playground” analogy. And, well, it just doesn’t seem “accurate”.

Yes, a kid taking his ball with him and leaving the playground would leave the rest of the kids unhappy and bored, and without a ball to play with. But, in that analogy, it’s just a regular old ball. Another kid could possibly come by later with another ball. Or one of the remaining kids could just go home and bring their ball. Etc. Because in this example, a ball is a ball.

It’s not like the kid left with the ONLY ball in the neighborhood. Or even the only ball in the entire city. Or, perhaps, 1 of only 3 balls on the entire planet. That’s kind of a major detail here. And it would kind of suck way more. Hmm.

Well he's gone so it is what it is.  All I know is the copy he won is pretty much a fully playable version, the INTV version with improved graphics.  We know of two other entities besides him who have it.  I guess the goal should be to coax it out of one of them.  There's to my knowledge no legal liability to do so.

Edited by Greg2600

2 hours ago, Supergun said:

I keep thinking about the “took his ball and left the playground” analogy. And, well, it just doesn’t seem “accurate”.

Yes, a kid taking his ball with him and leaving the playground would leave the rest of the kids unhappy and bored, and without a ball to play with. But, in that analogy, it’s just a regular old ball. Another kid could possibly come by later with another ball. Or one of the remaining kids could just go home and bring their ball. Etc. Because in this example, a ball is a ball.

It’s not like the kid left with the ONLY ball in the neighborhood. Or even the only ball in the entire city. Or, perhaps, 1 of only 3 balls on the entire planet. That’s kind of a major detail here. And it would kind of suck way more. Hmm.

AntiqueZestyFoxhound-max-1mb.gif

What i found really pity , it is not he is gone and keep the MOTU from him and don't share it.   Anyway , ihmo , i think he  has just wasted 5000 USD in this kind of thing but it is his problem , he does what he want with his money. And it is his own right to do whatever he wants with that proto he paid.   Even if we want  just destroy it on his youtube channel to make views...

it is the fact he was somebody who were creating new games for the colecovision.  Even if we don't know if he will be able to really release something.  At least he was trying to code new game , 100% in assembly from Scratch. And the few progress he presented was promising.  People doing new games from scratch 100% in assembly on colecovision are as rare than the prototypes and IMHO lot of more interesting.

Edited by youki
typo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, youki said:

What i found really pity , it is not he is gone and keep the MOTU from him and don't share it.   Anyway , ihmo , i think he  has just wasted 5000 USD in this kind of thing but it is his problem , he does what he want with his money. And it is his own right to do whatever he wants with that proto he paid.   Even if we want  just destroy it on his youtube channel to make views...

it is the fact he was somebody who were creating new games for the colecovision.  Even if we don't know if he will be able to really release something.  At least he was trying to code new game , 100% in assembly from Scratch. And the few progress he presented was promising.  People doing new games from scratch 100% in assembly on colecovision are as rare than the prototypes and IMHO lot of more interesting.

And I think if he was a little more humble in his interactions before he bought the MOTU prototype and didn't flaunt the prototype in front of everyone after he bought it, he would have likely been more well received. 

I do agree it is a shame that somebody who wants to create new material is not on here any longer, but it was really his own doing to get to that point.

Are we all forgetting that he tried issuing ultimatums to the staff in order to silence other members?  Not to mention the two different fake accounts he made (which is bannable offense)?  Good people this guy was not.

If you're interested in his homebrews, I'm sure he'll market them somewhere else.  Just not here.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Are we all forgetting that he tried issuing ultimatums to the staff in order to silence other members?  Not to mention the two different fake accounts he made (which is bannable offense)?  Good people this guy was not.

If you're interested in his homebrews, I'm sure he'll market them somewhere else.  Just not here.

i would love to see Shamus get released

4 hours ago, Tempest said:

Even if CollectorVision ends up striking a deal with him to produce and distribute any games that he might develop or possibly work something out concerning the He-man proto that he owns? Say this does happen, will you hold CollectorVision’s feet to the fire for working with him? Will you not purchase a copy or accept a rom image of He-Man if it is offered and it is known to be the version he owns?

Everyone just needs to step back from the ledge and relax already. Yes, this guy acted like an immature child and he got what he asked for and what he deserved, banishment from AA. Actually, he got a lot more come upance than that...

- a big dent in the pocket book with the purchase of the He-Man Proto with no easy means to try to recoup his money, which you can tell was an investment for him.

- the possibility that he might forego any further development of CV/Adam warez which would mean he wasted a lot of his own time as well as others getting to the point he is at now.

17 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Even if CollectorVision ends up striking a deal with him to produce and distribute any games that he might develop or possibly work something out concerning the He-man proto that he owns? Say this does happen, will you hold CollectorVision’s feet to the fire for working with him? Will you not purchase a copy or accept a rom image of He-Man if it is offered and it is known to be the version he owns?

Everyone just needs to step back from the ledge and relax already. Yes, this guy acted like an immature child and he got what he asked for and what he deserved, banishment from AA. Actually, he got a lot more come upance than that...

- a big dent in the pocket book with the purchase of the He-Man Proto with no easy means to try to recoup his money, which you can tell was an investment for him.

- the possibility that he might forego any further development of CV/Adam warez which would mean he wasted a lot of his own time as well as others getting to the point he is at now.

That would be completely insane to throw away a business to spite four or five critics. 

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

The recouping was our assumption, but sounded like just disposable moolah for him.  Likely has a collection of some sort.  Ironically had the auction not gone to eBay, he'd never have known it was up for sale.  Frankly, had this been sold behind the scenes as many protos are, there would have been zero drama.  Going to eBay was unfortunate and honestly unwise since you're giving up fees for nothing.  I would agree that if an agreement was made with CollectorVision most would buy.  There would be muttered words I'm sure from a few. 

50 minutes ago, Swami said:

That would be completely insane to throw away a business to spite four or five critics. 

Development likely goes on anyway, just not on AA.  If he puts games out on Good Deal or idk anywhere, the homebrew CV collectors will find them one way or the other. 

No idea whatever becomes of the rom, probably not coming out from that guy.  Again, two other sources have it.  Why can't they release it?

Edited by Greg2600

Now he's stuck with a $4400 game probably only one other person was willing to pay for. 

And the other person who was willing to buy it isnt a dick. $100 bucks more and we would al be playing MOTU on our AtariMax carts, or Phoenix systems.

Reminds me of another prototype, only that one is still locked up for no reason.

1 hour ago, sn8k said:

$100 bucks more and we would all be playing MOTU on our AtariMax carts, or Phoenix systems.

Well, it's not really that easy of an issue as can be seen by the BSRs donating one proto PCB to the NVM, a member of the BSR auctioning off his proto PCB and a third proto PCB still being in limbo. If it was as easy a matter as your post suggests, then the BSRs would have moved forward with a release years ago like they have done with other protos throughout the years.

So if CollectorVision had won the auction, they would be facing the same exact issues that the BSRs have faced for years concerning trying to make a physical release of He-Man akin to what CollectorVision faced when they attempted to release Smurf for the Intellivision, Youki experienced with his Smurf game and others have experienced throughout the years with games related to certain properties. It's easy for us to sit on the sidelines and say just do this or just do that, but ultimately we wouldn't be the one's sticking our necks out and as well as our families if legal action were to be taken.

In a perfect world and with no legal ramifications in site, it still would be a considerable amount of time before that rom image was made available to be played on your AtariMax cart or Phoenix systems and in the meantime there would be all THOSE posts asking when will it be made available.

42 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Well, it's not really that easy of an issue as can be seen by the BSRs donating one proto PCB to the NVM, a member of the BSR auctioning off his proto PCB and a third proto PCB still being in limbo. If it was as easy a matter as your post suggests, then the BSRs would have moved forward with a release years ago like they have done with other protos throughout the years.

So if CollectorVision had won the auction, they would be facing the same exact issues that the BSRs have faced for years concerning trying to make a physical release of He-Man akin to what CollectorVision faced when they attempted to release Smurf for the Intellivision, Youki experienced with his Smurf game and others have experienced throughout the years with games related to certain properties. It's easy for us to sit on the sidelines and say just do this or just do that, but ultimately we wouldn't be the one's sticking our necks out and as well as our families if legal action were to be taken.

In a perfect world and with no legal ramifications in site, it still would be a considerable amount of time before that rom image was made available to be played on your AtariMax cart or Phoenix systems and in the meantime there would be all THOSE posts asking when will it be made available.

Well yeah, if you're trying to make money off of it. There are issues. Released for free? You pay for a cart yourself if you want it. Case closed. No ramifications. 

Pursuit of Pink Panther. Its here. The rom is free. If you want a cart, you can buy one or you can play it free on an emulator. 

Dont see how masters of the universe is any different aside from yet another tight ass trying to make money off something he has no right trying to make.