Jump to content
NIAD

Masters of the Universe - The Power of He-Man

Recommended Posts

On 1/24/2021 at 10:40 PM, Supergun said:

I keep thinking about the “took his ball and left the playground” analogy. And, well, it just doesn’t seem “accurate”...

Dude, relax...it's just a figure of speech.  You are WAY over analyzing a simple expression.

 

8 hours ago, NIAD said:

Even if CollectorVision ends up striking a deal with him to produce and distribute any games that he might develop or possibly work something out concerning the He-man proto that he owns? Say this does happen, will you hold CollectorVision’s feet to the fire for working with him?

Obviously not...don't be silly.  CollectorVision can hypothetically publish his games if they so choose but I can't imagine why they would want to considering how many people might refuse to buy them.

 

1 hour ago, sn8k said:

Pursuit of Pink Panther. Its here. The rom is free. If you want a cart, you can buy one or you can play it free on an emulator. 

 

Dont see how masters of the universe is any different aside from yet another tight ass trying to make money off something he has no right trying to make.

Let's be fair here.  There were multiple copies of Pink Panther in circulation for many years but no one who actually paid money for a copy of the prototype was willing to release it free of charge (or able to do so due to supposed technical difficulties).  Either way, it should be noted that the individual who ultimately released it did not pay thousands of dollars for a copy of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only "solution" for him now, after all of this rubbish? He should privately sell the .ROM to retroillucid, as we now know publicly that our own most respected Mr. retroillucid had bid $4300. And we also know that retroillucid's intents are good and honorable with what he would do with the ROM, eventually sharing it with the community for all to enjoy.

 

So, if the guy wants to cut his losses and all the ridiculous drama, he could offer to sell the rom for $4000, say, to our own retroillucid, and most people would be happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Psionic said:

 

Let's be fair here.  There were multiple copies of Pink Panther in circulation for many years but no one who actually paid money for a copy of the prototype was willing to release it free of charge (or able to do so due to supposed technical difficulties). 

Those 'supposed technical issues' were very real.  I'll vouch for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zyzzle said:

The only "solution" for him now, after all of this rubbish? He should privately sell the .ROM to retroillucid, as we now know publicly that our own most respected Mr. retroillucid had bid $4300. And we also know that retroillucid's intents are good and honorable with what he would do with the ROM, eventually sharing it with the community for all to enjoy.

 

So, if the guy wants to cut his losses and all the ridiculous drama, he could offer to sell the rom for $4000, say, to our own retroillucid, and most people would be happy.

Don't believe he was interested in recouping the auction money.  Yeah 5K is a lot of money (certainly to me), but not to everyone.  He locked horns with people here, misbehaved, and got banned.  Why on earth would he opt to do this community a favor? 

 

I say again, he's not the only person who has the rom! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Psionic said:

Dude, relax...it's just a figure of speech.  You are WAY over analyzing a simple expression.

 

Obviously not...don't be silly.  CollectorVision can hypothetically publish his games if they so choose but I can't imagine why they would want to considering how many people might refuse to buy them.

 

Let's be fair here.  There were multiple copies of Pink Panther in circulation for many years but no one who actually paid money for a copy of the prototype was willing to release it free of charge (or able to do so due to supposed technical difficulties).  Either way, it should be noted that the individual who ultimately released it did not pay thousands of dollars for a copy of it.

Dude, seriously, my playground analysis was only for fun. I was joking around with it.

 

But guys, you’ve got the wrong Pink Panther! He was talking about the ColecoVision tech demo when he mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NIAD said:

Well, it's not really that easy of an issue as can be seen by the BSRs donating one proto PCB to the NVM, a member of the BSR auctioning off his proto PCB and a third proto PCB still being in limbo. If it was as easy a matter as your post suggests, then the BSRs would have moved forward with a release years ago like they have done with other protos throughout the years.

 

So if CollectorVision had won the auction, they would be facing the same exact issues that the BSRs have faced for years concerning trying to make a physical release of He-Man akin to what CollectorVision faced when they attempted to release Smurf for the Intellivision, Youki experienced with his Smurf game and others have experienced throughout the years with games related to certain properties. It's easy for us to sit on the sidelines and say just do this or just do that, but ultimately we wouldn't be the one's sticking our necks out and as well as our families if legal action were to be taken.

 

In a perfect world and with no legal ramifications in site, it still would be a considerable amount of time before that rom image was made available to be played on your AtariMax cart or Phoenix systems and in the meantime there would be all THOSE posts asking when will it be made available.

Collectorvision and Intellivision Productions (now Blue Sky Rangers Inc) were in very different situations.  Peyo and Mattel are very different as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Supergun said:

But guys, you’ve got the wrong Pink Panther! He was talking about the ColecoVision tech demo when he mentioned it earlier in the thread.

Oh yeah I had forgotten about that.  Neat to be sure, but nothing earth shattering if it didn't get released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im willing to put in $200 if there is a collective purchase to take it off that guys hands to release it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But then another part of me says [email protected]$% him and just forget about it.  I dont negotiate with stuck up shady assholes.

 

He did some shady shit by blaming 1 guys comment on why it ruined the whole thing. Either he really is that much of a baby, or he cannot be trusted.

 

I dont trust him. I dont think he had any intention of giving it up to anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No need. Just list it on ebay again if he doesn't want it. That would be the only logical route. 

 

 

 
1 hour ago, sn8k said:

Im willing to put in $200 if there is a collective purchase to take it off that guys hands to release it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, sn8k said:

Pursuit of Pink Panther. Its here. The rom is free. If you want a cart, you can buy one or you can play it free on an emulator. 

The self running prototype demo with a couple screens is available for free. Anything else that was done with it was done quietly and for good reason. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NIAD said:

The self running prototype demo with a couple screens is available for free. Anything else that was done with it was done quietly and for good reason. 

What else could be done with it? It was a concept demo to show what the screens would look like.  The Vic-20 one is the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Collectorvision and Intellivision Productions (now Blue Sky Rangers Inc) were in very different situations.  Peyo and Mattel are very different as well.

A lawyer is a lawyer and when they send a C&D Letter, it’s high time to seriously consider what your next action will be because their next action could range from nothing as they were just trying to put the “fear of God” in you or it could be very serious.

 

It’s easy to champion for someone else to acquire the prototype or rom image and make it available to the masses when you are free from any liability or culpability.

 

in the end, hopefully everything will work out, but there is a huge spotlight on this He-Man proto right now and most assuredly their are interested parties paying close attention even though it is a 36 year old game for a 38 year old console.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Tempest said:

What else could be done with it? It was a concept demo to show what the screens would look like.  The Vic-20 one is the same way.

If you don’t know then you don’t know. One did show up on eBay a while ago so I guess you missed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NIAD said:

If you don’t know then you don’t know. One did show up on eBay a while ago so I guess you missed it.

Can you provide more info?  If it was on ebay then it's not exactly a secret.  PM me if need be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NIAD said:

A lawyer is a lawyer and when they send a C&D Letter, it’s high time to seriously consider what your next action will be because their next action could range from nothing as they were just trying to put the “fear of God” in you or it could be very serious.

 

It’s easy to champion for someone else to acquire the prototype or rom image and make it available to the masses when you are free from any liability or culpability.

 

in the end, hopefully everything will work out, but there is a huge spotlight on this He-Man proto right now and most assuredly their are interested parties paying close attention even though it is a 36 year old game for a 38 year old console.

I didn't suggest what anyone should do; they made it clear what their intentions were and how much they were willing to spend to do it.  Intellivision Productions, as I said before, was a company that owned videogame intellectual properties and their business was licensing them out; so they couldn't very well ignore the IP rights of others.  Mattel is a six billion dollar company with lots of products, their concern is the quality/reputation of their brands.  Peyo is a family who's trying to squeeze every dollar out of their one IP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tempest said:

Those 'supposed technical issues' were very real.  I'll vouch for that.

Yes they were very real.  There were a lot of people in the hobby that tried to dump it and failed.  I finally succeeded with assistance from others. 

 

There is more then one copy of He-Man out there, hopefully one of them will one day end up in the hands of someone who can release it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dutchman2000 said:

There is more then one copy of He-Man out there, hopefully one of them will one day end up in the hands of someone who can release it. 

Well there are two others (that we know of) but since the one that the NVGM has doesn't work there's really only one other working copy.   They may not all be at the same level of completeness either.  It's hard to say unless someone analyzes the roms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I didn't suggest what anyone should do; they made it clear what their intentions were and how much they were willing to spend to do it.  Intellivision Productions, as I said before, was a company that owned videogame intellectual properties and their business was licensing them out; so they couldn't very well ignore the IP rights of others.  Mattel is a six billion dollar company with lots of products, their concern is the quality/reputation of their brands.  Peyo is a family who's trying to squeeze every dollar out of their one IP.

Always heard that, but are Mattel suing sites who hosted roms of the MOTU 2600 or INTV games?  Nope.  Selling a reproduction cartridge would lead to intervention, simply releasing the rom, they won't care.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Greg2600 said:

Always heard that, but are Mattel suing sites who hosted roms of the MOTU 2600 or INTV games?  Nope.  Selling a reproduction cartridge would lead to intervention, simply releasing the rom, they won't care.

I don't see anyone spending thousands of dollars to simply leak the rom; it could happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mr_me said:

I don't see anyone spending thousands of dollars to simply leak the rom; it could happen.

If I had $5K to spend on it I would.

 

But then I'd have to have at least enough money to: pay off all of my outstanding debt, including the mortgage; have money in escrow for my kid's college, and a second escrow fund for a second child, just in case; actually have enough money to move into a bigger house, in an all cash transaction; and have a pretty significant chunk of change sitting in savings as a "rainy day fund"; before I could begin to consider spending $5K on a video game for children from 1983.

 

So I will let you all know when that windfall $1M or so in after tax dollars comes my way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mozartpc27 said:

If I had $5K to spend on it I would.

 

But then I'd have to have at least enough money to: pay off all of my outstanding debt, including the mortgage; have money in escrow for my kid's college, and a second escrow fund for a second child, just in case; actually have enough money to move into a bigger house, in an all cash transaction; and have a pretty significant chunk of change sitting in savings as a "rainy day fund"; before I could begin to consider spending $5K on a video game for children from 1983.

 

So I will let you all know when that windfall $1M or so in after tax dollars comes my way.

 

Hmm.

 

DEBT - NONE

MORTGAGE - NONE

KIDS - NONE

 

ZI5vT8u.jpg

 

YOLO

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can understand that owners of the rom  don't want or can not release it.    But why they don't want also to just make a video of the full gameplay?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, youki said:

i can understand that owners of the rom  don't want or can not release it.    But why they don't want also to just make a video of the full gameplay?

Duh!  To preserve the mystery.  Weren't you listening? ;)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't one of the short videos shown, basically a video of the game "running", but the person who was recording the screen couldn't actually play the game, because he had to hold the camera?  If only something like a "tripod" existed...or perhaps a 2nd person in existence in the world, wherein 1 person could hold the camera, and a 2nd person could pick up the controller and show some actual game-play!  Eh, maybe next time in 30 years from now.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...