IGNORED

Game Boy games you like better than all other versions?

Bionic Commando on the GB is AMAZING, much better than the NES version.

This. The GB version was excellent and futuristic, while the NES was more contemporary military. But I will say the GB's version could have definitely benefited from the NES's sound chip. As an experiment, I converted a few tunes from the GB version of the game in Famitracker to run on the NES's 2a03 sound chip. The results were quite nice, in fact.

You'll need an emulator capable of playing NSF files, or a music player that can play them. You can download the appropriate file from this forum thread I made over on the famitracker site's forum.

Also you can download famitracker from the site and play around with the ftm if you like. I put the file out there for everyone's enjoyment. icon_smile.gif

Ghosts 'n Goblins on the GBC. They clearly based it on the NES version, but it is very smooth and a lot of fun to play, whereas the NES version is a choppy mess.

Donkey Kong on the Game Boy is also awesome. I don't know if I can say it's "better" than the prior versions as it's more of a puzzle-driven game with classic DK mechanics, but it's a damn-fine one and gets kudos from me because it includes the classic DK stages in the very beginning of the game, fooling the player into thinking it's a port of the arcade game. It's executed extremely well and is a ton of fun to play.

Also, here's another vote for the GB Tetris. There's no questioning that's one of the most simplistic yet solid versions of the game available.

i like Snow Bros Jr better than the NES and Genesis versions, but not more than the arcade.

also: Bubble Ghost, Tetris, Link's Awakening (still my favorite Zelda game), Metroid II, and call me crazy but i also think Mega Man II is better than the MMII on NES.

Mega Man II is better than the MMII on NES.

That's a tough call for me, but the soundtrack is AWESOME.. that's for certain! I have very fond memories of MM2 GB. :)

Huh... What? :? Sorry, but what have you guys been smoking?

MM2 on GB sucks in just about every way, it's the worst entry in the GB series. That's not just my opinion, it's a plain fact. Even Inafking himself disses the game for being poor. Thank goodness they did it right for MM3, MM4 and MM5 that came afterwards.

That's a tough call for me, but the soundtrack is AWESOME.. that's for certain! I have very fond memories of MM2 GB. :)

Huh... What? :? Sorry, but what have you guys been smoking?

MM2 on GB sucks in just about every way, it's the worst entry in the GB series. That's not just my opinion, it's a plain fact. Even Inafking himself disses the game for being poor. Thank goodness they did it right for MM3, MM4 and MM5 that came afterwards.

um, the music is stellar. the ending is great. MM3(NES) is my favorite of the NES series, so the fact that MM2(GB) includes 4 of those bosses really does it for me. the final stage in MM2(GB) is memorable, and my little enemy-friend Quint makes his first appearance.

MM3(GB) is great too, as it includes the other 4 bosses of MM3(NES).

back on topic though, Atomic Punk was better than both NES Bomberman games. that's actually where my screen name came from ("atomicman" sounded stupid).

I'll go with Captain America and the Avengers. The controls just seem more accurate to me on the Game Boy for some reason, but maybe that's because I tried the Game Boy version first???? For the longest time, there was also no rom dump of the game. It took forever for it to be added to the master list so I always played the original cartridge.

All things considered I think Double Dragon for GB is better than the NES version.

Tetris of course is a really good one, but games like Batman, Megaman, Bionic Commando in mind wouldn't count as the are completely new and different games on GB.

All things considered I think Double Dragon for GB is better than the NES version.

Man, I completely forgot about that one, and you are absolutely correct. I love the NES game, but the GB one plays so much smoother to the point where it's a lot more fun. Everything else is replicated great, too.

Tetris of course is a really good one, but games like Batman, Megaman, Bionic Commando in mind wouldn't count as the are completely new and different games on GB.

Double Dragon is also different from the NES version, though. I don't see how it's less different from Bionic Commando, which still has some similar level designs and gameplay despite the differences.

I like Atomic Punk quite a bit too, though the port of Bomberman with it is just a straight NES port with less screen space (in other words the port of the original bomberman included is inferior). The game is called Bomber Boy in Japan and the game B has the Bomberman title screen in that version.

Gargoyle's quest is better on gb too than the nes version (snes is very different from both and i did not like it at all)

The NES game is a sequel, as is Demon's Crest. Not different versions of the same game. GB did get a version of Gargoyles Quest II, Makimura Gaiden The Demon Darkness, but it only came to Japan (though it was planned for US release and reviewed in Nintendo Power).

Edited by BrianC

The soundtrack in MM2 for GB made me want to rip the cartridge out of my Game Boy Player, steal a gun from the gun store down the road, and shoot it good and dead.

The rest of the game sucks, too. I was so happy to find it in a box of clearance GB/GBC games at GameStop one day, but that happiness quickly turned to disappointment when I played it.

I can kind of see your point but IIRC the levels in the Bionic Commando games are similar. At the very least I remember the first level being the same but to be honest I haven't played NES Bionic Commando in at least 15 years. The only one I own is the Game Boy version, which I bought from a friend after I played it and fell in love with its pseudo-RPG mechanics.

The soundtrack in MM2 for GB made me want to rip the cartridge out of my Game Boy Player, steal a gun from the gun store down the road, and shoot it good and dead.

The rest of the game sucks, too. I was so happy to find it in a box of clearance GB/GBC games at GameStop one day, but that happiness quickly turned to disappointment when I played it.

well that's just like... your opinion... man.

The_Big_Lebowski___Jeff_Bridges.jpg

Edited by bomberpunk

Double Dragon is also different from the NES version, though. I don't see how it's less different from Bionic Commando, which still has some similar level designs and gameplay despite the differences.

The way I see it, Bionic Commmando GB is a standalone game and not a different version of the NES title. Everything is redone, the setting is different, etc. It' similar but not intended to be the same game.

I see Double Dragon as being the GB version of the arcade game. The levels, bosses, story etc are all the same(ish), just re-interpreted for the Game Boy's limitations. Much like Mortal Kombat, DuckTales, or Battletoads & Double Dragon: The Ultimate Team - the game is intended to be as close to the it's bigger brother title as Game Boy will allow for, not a total re-imagining of the game like Batman and Bionic Commando are.