IGNORED

MyIDE 4.6 Beta

Larry

Yeah, you are totally right! master/slave programming is not easy.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't touch it for the BIOS.

Both drives accept the command when send, only the selected drive respond.

2nd pitfall is the absence/removal/lock-up of the slave-drive, the master-drive then takes over......

Beside that, I use my PC to draw backups (raw sector dumps).

So basically I see no urge (for now) to support master/slave configurations.

Later,

Sijmen.

I don't think many people are using two-card set-ups (this much is blindingly apparent, in fact), but it took a lot of work to get it working correctly.

Is there a special IDE->CF adapter you need for 2 cards or will most anything I see on ebay work?

Yeah, you are totally right! master/slave programming is not easy.

That's one of the main reasons I didn't touch it for the BIOS.

Both drives accept the command when send, only the selected drive respond.

2nd pitfall is the absence/removal/lock-up of the slave-drive, the master-drive then takes over......

Not easy, no, but highly desirable in my view. The SDX driver seemed incomplete without master/slave support.

Here's a code snippet:

lda part_device,x ; get master/slave
sta slaveflag
ora #$e0
R30	sta IDE_HEAD ; select device
jsr wait_ready ; wait for drive to become ready
bmi badsecnum
ldy slaveflag
lda part_bps,x ; get BPS and see if it's different to the current setting
sta cluster_flag ; this will be negative if we're dealing with a cluster read/write
and #3
cmp bps,y
beq no_bps_change
jsr set_bps
bmi badsecnum ; on error
no_bps_change

PART_DEVICE is a fifteen entry table: 0 for master, 16 for slave. We set the device (also setting LBA mode in this case) by writing to the HEAD register, then wait for the device to become ready and branch on error. We then use SLAVE_FLAG as an index into BPS (one register for master, one for slave, and usefully separated by fifteen bytes, either side of drive present table), and see if the access mode of the selected disk needs to be changed. SET_BPS does this if necessary.

Master/slave support wasn't that difficult to code up, but problems arose when copying between a partition on the master in CFA mode, for example, and a partition on the slave in 16-bit mode (a 256bps partition, for instance). Once the device was selected before setting or clearing 8-bit PIO mode, however, the problems went away.

Regarding removal/lock-up of drive: I chose to regard those as fatal errors - quite reasonably, I think. I've never pulled a CF card mid session or had one lock-up on me...

Reliable master/slave support is certainly something I (will) miss in other systems, if only for peace of mind (since partitions can be quickly tarballed from one physical disk to the other). On the other hand, I suppose some distinguishing differences between the two MyIDE drivers is desirable. ;)

Is there a special IDE->CF adapter you need for 2 cards or will most anything I see on ebay work?

I'm pretty certain this one will work:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1207105299861?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120710529986&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Yeah, the same source where I bought it.

Somehow single-CF-adapters cost double.... :?

Pfffff. 1 euro including shipping.

Minus ebay-costs, how do they make a profit?

I bought a IDE-to-SATA interface including cables for less then 2 euro.

Must be old stock, can't possible see they make any profit there.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3206586480381?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320658648038&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Later!

Yeah! (just tested my purchase); IDE-to-SATA also works on the 4.6-BIOS.

The only problem is the CHS 33 Gb barrier for logical partitions.

Images can fill the whole disk.

SATA is slightly faster then CF or DOM (not that I need that) :-)

Cheers,

Sijmen

P.S. The adapter has a empty spot for soldering a second SATA-connector!

Edited by mr-atari

• 1 month later...

Do I understand correctly that MyIDE 4.6 Beta supports flashing the SDX Rom onto the internal MyIDE. Simply stated do I need the intSDX still or an SDX cartrdidge? Ideally I want to have MyIDE, SDX and reserve the cartridge port for the new Ehternet cartridge... is this possible?

If you have a MyIDE and haven't been to the AtariMax forum recently, you might want to check out the thread on Mr-Atari's new 4.6 Beta OS. It is certainly not finished, but I've been using it for a month or so, and this is the third 4.6 Beta (by my count). It has new features, and is quite a bit faster than the older MyIDE OS versions. This is the first version that breaks the 20 KB/S "barrier" with MyDos (16K write and 27K read on my systems). I have no idea about its compatibility or performance with Sparta/other Dos versions.

Also, there is a thread from Steve on correcting stability issues in the MyIDE + Flash cart, if you have been having trouble. I've never had much trouble except for general PBI & MyIDE timing issues that are corrected by the Puff stability mods. So I really haven't had the need to apply this "fix" although I probably will one of these days.

http://www.atarimax....ewforum.php?f=7

-Larry

Do I understand correctly that MyIDE 4.6 Beta supports flashing the SDX Rom onto the internal MyIDE. Simply stated do I need the intSDX still or an SDX cartrdidge? Ideally I want to have MyIDE, SDX and reserve the cartridge port for the new Ehternet cartridge... is this possible?

No, the "internal MyIDE with flashable MyIDE OS" that AtariMax sells, only maps to the OS rom and is for flashing the MyIDE OS only.

The modified MyIDE SDX images are for a 1Mbit MaxFlash card (in combination with internal MyIDE) or the external MyIDE cart (in combination with MyIDE bios in OS ROM).

To use SDX and keep your cartridge slot free, you need intSDX or Ultimate1MB with intSDX. But since these are placed instead of the OS ROM, you can't use it in combination with the "internal MyIDE with flashable MyIDE OS" since that is also placed instead of the OS ROM. You then need the old MyIDE interface without the flashable OS that usually was soldered directly to the 6502. That version was sold before AtariMax started making MyIDE interfaces.

Robert

• 3 months later...

Hi Roy-

I haven't had any issues that show up in the file system, but I use a very simple configuration of two regular Dos partitions (D1: and D5:). 169 is a "directory full error." Not sure what you are saying in your second sentence -- D1: is an SIO drive? Or D1: is a image/game partition? Presume you ran VTOCFIX, if this is a regular Dos partition? Attached is a little program "HOWBIG" for MyDos -- tells you the size/and more importantly the number of files being used on any MyDos (logical) drive. (Note: it doesn't calculate the size of sub-directories contained within a directory -- just regular file sectors being used are counted.)

I have had trouble with Shift + Cntl + D (Disable the MyIDE drive), and had trouble with the first Beta FDISK. That's pretty much it.

How do you like his menu's? I think those are really nice -- adds a very professional touch. (Although KMK and Flashjazzcat are still the "gold standards," IMO.)

-Larry

I am having file delete problems with the latest 4.6 os. and MyDos. I tried deleting a file from D1: not a partition and I get error #169 prefaced by several three digit numbers.

Larry,

I wasn't to impressed with Howbig, but the concept was interesting so I make up a couple of Turbobasic compiled programs that will do a similar thing for MyDOS partitions. A couple are compatible with SDX partitions when run from SDX 3x-4x also

MYDOSPARTITIONFILELISTER.ATR

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

Hi Roy-

Thanks for sharing this with us. Those are quite impressive -- nice tools! Could you give us a few words about your programs?

I've run all three on my MyDos hard drive. The OBTREE and CNTFDS starts displaying a bunch of "hearts" and other screen codes as it progresses. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

-Larry

I am having file delete problems with the latest 4.6 os. and MyDos. I tried deleting a file from D1: not a partition and I get error #169 prefaced by several three digit numbers.

Larry,

I wasn't to impressed with Howbig, but the concept was interesting so I make up a couple of Turbobasic compiled programs that will do a similar thing for MyDOS partitions. A couple are compatible with SDX partitions when run from SDX 3x-4x also

MYDOSPARTITIONFILELISTER.ATR

Hi Roy-

Thanks for sharing this with us. Those are quite impressive -- nice tools! Could you give us a few words about your programs?

I've run all three on my MyDos hard drive. The OBTREE and CNTFDS starts displaying a bunch of "hearts" and other screen codes as it progresses. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

-Larry

Larry,

I think that I forgot to add the cursor inhibit POKE 752,1 statement into those two builds. I have added the source files to this download, instead of writing about the programs. I think that those two programs also were compiled with ABC BASIC COMPILER. And only the DIR361 compiled with turbobasic. And directory names are best if not longer that 7 characters long.

NEWDIRLISTSRC.ATR

Edited by rdea6
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Mr-Atari is now into the 4.7 betas, and they are really very nice. Compared to the MyIDE bios of several years ago, these are massively improved!

Here is a really nice new feature. If you have a PBI device attached (e.g. a Black Box), the MyIDE will recognize the PBI device and load the PBI drivers. The PBI device will boot (assuming that you have a bootable D1: on it). Other drives on the MyIDE will be recognized as SIO devices, only will run at MyIDE speed. Other SIO devices will also be recognized (for instance, real drives or ATR images).

I use this feature to maintain fast backups of my BB hard drive. Takes about 3 minutes to backup 12,000 sectors -- roughly 4 times faster than backing up to an APE image with UltraSpeed. Haven't tried it with an MIO, but it should work the same way.

-Larry

• Like 1

Mr-Atari is now into the 4.7 betas, and they are really very nice. Compared to the MyIDE bios of several years ago, these are massively improved!

Here is a really nice new feature. If you have a PBI device attached (e.g. a Black Box), the MyIDE will recognize the PBI device and load the PBI drivers. The PBI device will boot (assuming that you have a bootable D1: on it). Other drives on the MyIDE will be recognized as SIO devices, only will run at MyIDE speed. Other SIO devices will also be recognized (for instance, real drives or ATR images).

I use this feature to maintain fast backups of my BB hard drive. Takes about 3 minutes to backup 12,000 sectors -- roughly 4 times faster than backing up to an APE image with UltraSpeed. Haven't tried it with an MIO, but it should work the same way.

-Larry

Wow - that is a really nice feature! I have not used the MyIDE in quite some time.

That's nice.. MyIDE is the only device that ever "broke" PBI functionality in the first place.. MyIDE should have (easily could have) had this "feature" years ago, but Sijmen has repeatedly turned down offers by many people to help him fix the firmware.

Side works just fine in conjunction with PBI devices as well.. In fact every other storage device Im aware of in existance works fine in conjunction with PBI devices..

@metalguy could you PLEASE stop repeating this forever?

Atari is hobby, and thanks to the fact Sijmen (and other people) invested time for over 10 years in this device, it has grown to a fabulous little thingy. I can hardly remember any other device that has over 10 years of improvement support.

Sijmen has repeatedly turned down offers by many people to help him fix the firmware

I know Sijmen very well, and I offered him help, and he nicely accepted. I have been beta-testing the firmware for ages for him, and suggested a lot of things. In fact he almost implented everything I asked him for. It is the tone that makes the music, perhaps Sijmen did not like the music all these people made?

You are wrong in your statement too by the way. The BlackBox doesn't share the PBI completely too. After installing the ultimate 1MB I could not use BASIC anymore as long as the blackbox was attached.

So please think twice before you go picking again on MyIDE. It's a great device; fast, simple, and very compatible.

• Like 1

You need to read posts better.. I'm not referring to any specific PBI device and how well it does/doesnt share the PBI bus.. I'm talking about storage devices that can be connected at the same time as a PBI device.. The ultimate 1MB is not a storage device..

And as far as me repeating my above statement "forever".. It's the truth... And I'm just bringing up the fact that working simultaneously with other storage devices is not exactly a monumental feature to be bragging about (every other storage device besides MyIDE has always done this).. I'm glad Sijmen did eventually invest the time to improve his coding skills and learn enough about the OS/Hardware to write something that offers the degree of functionality one would expect from any storage device.. It's a shame he wouldn't accept help from those who could have done it years ago, when MyIDE would have been much more of an attractive solution due to the lack of availability of other superior devices..

Edited by MEtalGuy66

You need to read posts better.. I'm not referring to any specific PBI device and how well it does/doesnt share the PBI bus.. I'm talking about storage devices that can be connected at the same time as a PBI device.. The ultimate 1MB is not a storage device..

And as far as me repeating my above statement "forever".. It's the truth... And I'm just bringing up the fact that working simultaneously with other storage devices is not exactly a monumental feature to be bragging about (every other storage device besides MyIDE has always done this).. I'm glad Sijmen did eventually invest the time to improve his coding skills and learn enough about the OS/Hardware to write something that offers the degree of functionality one would expect from any storage device.. It's a shame he wouldn't accept help from those who could have done it years ago, when MyIDE would have been much more of an attractive solution due to the lack of availability of other superior devices..

First of all: I have read your message VERY good, and it was clear to the careful reader that you found again an opportunity to pick on myide or Sijmen. So again, my question: PLEASE stop that. It is irrelevant, and highly annoying. Sijmen is a good guy, and does a lot good things for the Atari community.

And next to that you write:

(every other storage device besides MyIDE has always done this

Like I wrote in my first post: this is untrue. The blackbox does not do that either. The blackbox does not share PBI, so when you would connect another PBI device to the atari, there is a chance you can not use blackbox and that other pbi-device together.

MyIDE is a great device, so is the blackbox or most other existing harddisk interfaces for atari 8bit. All those existing solutions have their pro's and cons.

Even without PBI support MyIDE was great. I can remember early versions of the fabulous QMEG OS did not support PBI either, which did not make QMEG into a bad product.

• Like 1

Marius.. The black box is not a PBI device.. Its a device that hooks into the paralell expansion bus, and works the way BOB intended it to work, not the way ATARI intended PBI devices to work.. Trying to hook another PBI device up at the same time as the blackbox and expect it to work is not anything that BOB ever intended to be done with that setup. (Same goes for the MIO). Yes, these devices do occupy multiple PBI bus IDs.. And yes they do bank their rom in the same place as a device that follows the PBI standard.. However, youd have to drop quite a few of the kewler features of the blackbox in order to make it "PBI compliant" as per atari's actual standard. Using multiple PBI devices at the same time can be done, but its by no means "plug & play" even with the best behaved devices. It takes quite a bit of custom connections, as well as quite a bit of custom "tweaking" by a very experienced atari hardware tinkerer. As we've already beat into the ground on here many times, ATARI did not provide a full implementation of PBI in any production machine (by this, I mean the original hardware spec for PBI which would have run stable with the 1090 and multiple devices on the BUS). What HAS BEEN DONE repeatedly is the production of standalone devices that use the paralell expansion bus in the best system-legal (not causing problems with other non-pbi storage devices which may be connected to the atari) way possible..

So, assuming one Paralell Expansion Bus connected device at a time (which is how every single commercially sold device that has ever plugged into the paralellel expansion bus has worked for years), the black box does not have conflicts with other storage devices. Niether does any storage device that plugs into the SIO port, cart slot (aside from myIDE), or otherwise, have a conflict with the black box.

YEah, qmeg broke the PBI support too. And that made it a totally inferior product, until it was fixed.

Yeah, I know Sijmen is a decent guy.. Ive never had any bad dealings with him.. And as I said before, I'm really glad he did finally learn enough to fix his firmware and make MyIDE a halfway decent product by comparisson to everything else out there.. Its just a shame he couldnt have done it years ago when it would have made a much bigger difference to alot of people..

Edited by MEtalGuy66
  • Like 1

Yeah, I know Sijmen is a decent guy.. Ive never had any bad dealings with him.. And as I said before, I'm really glad he did finally learn enough to fix his firmware and make MyIDE a halfway decent product by comparisson to everything else out there..

The new 4.7.07 MyBIOS supports SDX, APT, FAT32 and MyIDE.

Even the intern.char.set is back.......

Very cool

Happy holidays!

• Like 2