IGNORED

Altirra 1.9 released

phaeron

Another paddles question!

I'm trying to map the 2nd paddle to the mouse's vertical axis for the game Tilter as it uses both paddles simultaneously - I've edited the "Mouse ->Paddle A" setting and added 'Mouse Move Vert' on 'Axis 2' but I can't seem to get it to work :?:

Paddles are single axis -- you need a second paddle. Add a Paddle B controller and map Mouse Move Vert to its Axis 0.

Thanks for that (Axis 1) :thumbsup: Is there a way of restricting the movemement to allow only 1 paddle to operate at a time by blocking diagonal movement :?: (but still allow up/down and left/right movements to use both paddles)

Have you tried playing with the relative and absolute settings?

Not sure if it will help, had a quick play and it seemed ok...

IDEPlus 2.0 emulation is not holding the contents of 'B'oot drive: D0: and 'C'onfig drive: D0: returns between sessions.

and has to be reset to D3: each new session.

I can't get a value to take at all in either field.

Quick general note about IDE+ emulation with special reference to on-board SDX:

To enable IDE+ SDX:

1) Download the SDX ROM images, and put the IDE Plus SDX ROM in your Altirra ROM folder.

2) Go to Altirra's System->Firmware->ROM Images dialogue, and point IDE Plus 2.0 (SDX) to the SDX ROM image.

This will automatically cause the IDE+ SDX to activate.

Apologies if this info is reposted information, but we were tinkering around with it last night on IRC (shortly before I passed out with heat exhaustion).

Edited by flashjazzcat

I've reproduced the problem IDEPlus settings not saving but don't know where those are supposed to be saved yet; I've sent out a request for help on that.

With regard to the issue with isolating paddles, there's no way to do that. Switching between absolute and relative modes will change whether the paddles respond to motion or position, but the axes will still be independent. It's a tricky one, because I think in practice you'd need an interesting algorithm with a bunch of tunable values to make it work, and it's likely specific to your particular program or game. I thought about trying to come up with some input language to allow for weird things like this but the complexity quickly gets out of hand.

load this by sio. try real atari and then Altirra.

Oh, yuck.

If I understand what this test is doing correctly, it is relying on the COMMAND line having been pulled low by the last sector read of the SIO load, and exploiting the time delay from the capacitance on that line to switch CB2 from output to edge sensing mode before COMMAND is pulled back up. This has two ugly consequences which I didn't think were possible on stock hardware:

• PACTL bit 6 and PBCTL bit 6 can now be set.
  • PIA interrupts can now fire.

Here's an addition I'd like to see: emulation of the sega gamepad.

On the Atari 8-bit, the sega genesis gamepad acts like the atari joystick, but one of the extra buttons can be read from the PADDLE(0) register. This means that you can have two-button control on the Atari using the sega pad.

Edited by Synthpopalooza

Hello!

I run it today for first time, very nice software.

But I have stupid question.

I have many disks with executables with loaders which are working in Turbo 1050 (Top Drive) mode. I copied two of them via APE ProSystem and images are not usable in emulator, because there is no communication with emulated drive after AUDCTL is set to $06 ( via http://atariki.krap.pl/index.php/Top_Drive_1050 ).

I know that it is the worst turbo for disk drives but maybe you can add emulation option of this mode to Altirra?

Drac030 kindly provided info on the IDEPlus NVRAM usage, so I've gotten that implemented, along with debugger trace filtering and PIA interrupts:

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.00-test10.zip

http://www.virtualdub.org/beta/Altirra-2.00-test10-src.zip

The PIA interrupt issue turned out to be very interesting. There's no delay involved, and it happens whether or not any device is connected to the SIO bus -- do the right sequence of output modes, and then the next input mode can trigger an interrupt immediately. The nasty one is IRQB2, since the standard SIO protocol does the output part and a single write to PBCTL can trigger an interrupt. The OS doesn't know how to acknowledge it, so it's an immediate crash. IRQA2 can also be tripped without external hardware, but the required modes are slightly different. If you do find yourself in this situation -- like if you're abusing the PIA to play audio *cough*xxl*cough* -- either set PACTL/PBCTL bit 2 and read PORTA/PORTB or set an output mode to clear the interrupt before re-enabling IRQs. Altirra now emulates this and the next versions of Acid800 and the hardware guide will cover it as well.

Incidentally, the MOS 6520 docs don't mention that setting an output mode clears control bit 6. The Rockwell docs do.

It turns out that I have a Genesis controller lying around, so I've been able to verify the hardware behavior and I should be able to get it implemented. The toughest part is finding where to stick it in the UI....

Altirra doesn't allow turbo disk SIO operation because I had to clamp down on it for compatibility reasons: there were fast loaders that assumed that if they could get a high speed command through that the disk supported certain model-specific commands and ran very badly when those commands failed. For that reason the emulator checks baud rates and only allows standard 19200 baud for 810/1050 behavior or 57600 baud for XF551 high-speed commands. I need to put in an disk emulation mode option for other high speed modes.

• 2 weeks later...
The PIA interrupt issue turned out to be very interesting. There's no delay involved, and it happens whether or not any device is connected to the SIO bus -- do the right sequence of output modes, and then the next input mode can trigger an interrupt immediately. The nasty one is IRQB2, since the standard SIO protocol does the output part and a single write to PBCTL can trigger an interrupt. The OS doesn't know how to acknowledge it, so it's an immediate crash. IRQA2 can also be tripped without external hardware, but the required modes are slightly different. If you do find yourself in this situation -- like if you're abusing the PIA to play audio *cough*xxl*cough* -- either set PACTL/PBCTL bit 2 and read PORTA/PORTB or set an output mode to clear the interrupt before re-enabling IRQs. Altirra now emulates this and the next versions of Acid800 and the hardware guide will cover it as well.

thanks,

try this little test under Altirra and real atari

testjoy.xex

Edited by xxl

Can I make a small (I hope) feature request? Could you support 32k bios dumps (i.e. the XEGS)? It's purely for selfish reasons, my XEGS is my only working Atari at the moment :(

I love the way how a hard core of fans are keeping the Atari alive, with emulators, hardware mods, and new software.

This is all so cool :)

-Peter.

Bios or game rom dumps?

If game roms then it already does.

If bios then why if you don't mind me asking.

Paul..

Bios... I guess for completeness' sake. Pressing select on boot to run Missile command etc.

I realise I can cut the first 16k of the bios rom and use that, with basic loaded as a separate 8k.

To the best of my (uncertain) knowledge NO emulator emulates a stock 65XEGS like that.

Plus I could tinker with the BIOS :)

Name change time xegs bios rev4.rom to otheros.rom

No need for that any more, you can choose a file for each of the OS types including the 'other', no renaming needs to be done although I believe Altirra still picks up that rom if its already named otheros.rom but you now have a more flexible way.

Under System, Firmware, rom images.

Name change time xegs bios rev4.rom to otheros.rom

No need for that any more, you can choose a file for each of the OS types including the 'other', no renaming needs to be done although I believe Altirra still picks up that rom if its already named otheros.rom but you now have a more flexible way.

Under System, Firmware, rom images.

The system doesn't boot with the BIOS dump I have. I switched the first 16 with the second, and hey presto it boots - But with BASIC from the BASIC rom under system, firmware, rom images, basic - not the basic from the 32k bios dump (to prove it I selected a pacman rom cart as basic, and it booted to that)

Plus theres no ability to hold down select and boot to missile command :(

And it is possible though somewhere to look as the machine is loaded and run real XEGS?

Can be somewhere eat video with loading real XEGS, it would be interesting to me to look at differences from other systems.

Avery, can will add support bios xegs, all the same altirra it is positioned as the high-precision emulator atari.

Edited by serj