IGNORED

Found brand new Q-Bert Cubes

quadrider1

Trust me. a noob can find out a lot of stuff in a couple of days.

Well, what I meant was in the context of Ian's post. It is my strong suspicion that a person savvy enough to go to estate sales and purchase books, is literate enough to know the difference between Qubes and regular Q*bert. No? Next comes intuition... since it's so easy for noobs to get all sorts of info in a couple of days, wouldn't it stand to reason they'd have already gotten all of the info on value that they needed within that time and proceed directly to eBay? Assuming any of these events actually happened.

Personally, I believe this thread reeks and we've all, once again, taken the bait and have established users fighting over nonsense.

On the flipside to all of this... ironic how a brand new poster, with no reputation or pics with a poorly formatted post, is being taken seriously. People here have given him the benefit of the doubt and even supplied opinions as to its value - sight unseen. WHILE... a long time poster may post a sale thread here, with pics, prices or offers accepted and he either gets ignored, lambasted or low-balled. For as many "new" users that might be turned off, think about all of those that have already left that have been here for years over silly shenanigans such as this. :lol:

If someone has been here sometime and no one believes him then chances are it is because of the poster and not the forum.

If Ian said he found a complete Video Life (which trumps a sealed Qubes) no one here would doubt him. Sure they would want to see pics but the lack of pics wouldn't stop anyone from believing him.

If true which it most likely is not this really isn't that big of a find. Hey a sealed game and yeah a rare title but not impossible. If someone said they found one ok I'd believe it, cool for you if you did.

Given the title it is more likely that he was mistaken on title or platform. With all that was said it will be hard for him to say it but I doubt he planned to make up some crazy story to get people going. If that is really the case then he needs to work on his material because true or not this just isn't find of the year material. I guess I need to hear more than a find of a sealed Qubes to get me going these days. What is next Pitfall II ?!?!?!

Ohh NO. NO WAY !!

I agree with both sides of this arguement we seem to be having about how new people are treated. When I see a brand new member show up posting finding rare games in amazing condition my first thought it that we are dealing with another troll too. That said I keep my mouth shut about it. This is the only reason I didn't end up looking like an ass hat on the mother in law deal.

I will say however, that its isn't hard to find out what Atari games are rare, it isn't hard to find this site, and it isn't hard to post saying you have something of value to get a rise out of people. The thing that sets off my troll-dar if you will is normally that people with no shown interest in older video games just happened to find theses games, and instead of looking it up on eBay (and thats the standard way to find out what anything is worth anymore atleast for the new person to a certain market) they find this site, and register for this site, and post on this site to find out what its worth... its all a little fishy.

NOTE:

I posted 100% of that to explain why my fisrt thought is to wonder about how honest the new user is about these things. I don't post those things about that person. You never know, but it is always fishy, so I see both sides.

Oh, and there are new memebers that are well receieved all the time. Those members don't just show up to sell a rare item and claiming to have no clue what it is, or claiming to have a master level knowledge of everything we talk about here without proof.

• Like 3

Also, maybe just a typo but it's odd that "Qubes" is spelled correctly in the post but the topic has it misspelled as "Cubes".

Mistake? On purpose? I don't know. :?

I guess I see both sides as well. It's been a while since the original post and nothing more about it. If I had something that valuable, I'd want to flip it quick. Especially if vintage games didn't mean anything to me.

Edited by SpendTooMuchOnAtari

I learned my lesson about posting my 'doubts' or conspiracy theories on the Air Raid saga. I certainly didn't mean anything to be taken personally, but one or two of my skeptical comments apparently weren't taken kindly by Tanner-- and that was NOT my intention. In my mind, we've made peace since then.

But my point is, it's a bad idea to jump to (and post) negative conclusions. Even if you believe it to be human nature or just how you think- to be skeptical- it's certainly not fair to the poster who hasn't given you any reason to judge one way or the other. Maybe this guy's for real, maybe he's not-- but I'd suggest we give him a chance to prove himself one way or the other before calling him out on it. :)

• Like 2

I learned my lesson about posting my 'doubts' or conspiracy theories on the Air Raid saga. I certainly didn't mean anything to be taken personally, but one or two of my skeptical comments apparently weren't taken kindly by Tanner-- and that was NOT my intention. In my mind, we've made peace since then.

But my point is, it's a bad idea to jump to (and post) negative conclusions. Even if you believe it to be human nature or just how you think- to be skeptical- it's certainly not fair to the poster who hasn't given you any reason to judge one way or the other. Maybe this guy's for real, maybe he's not-- but I'd suggest we give him a chance to prove himself one way or the other before calling him out on it. :)

So what you are saying is "pics or it didn't happen" right?

This is a lot like me walking into a car club and saying "I have a 69 Camero 100% restored and turning out 500+ HP, but its at home so you will have to take my word for it." I'm not saying the game doesn't exist at all, infact I agree with you, but I understand why people are doubting this, we have seen this before, and not just once or twice mind you. I am personally waiting for pics and a price :D .

So what you are saying is "pics or it didn't happen" right?

This is a lot like me walking into a car club and saying "I have a 69 Camero 100% restored and turning out 500+ HP, but its at home so you will have to take my word for it." I'm not saying the game doesn't exist at all, infact I agree with you, but I understand why people are doubting this, we have seen this before, and not just once or twice mind you. I am personally waiting for pics and a price :D .

Maybe in a round about sort of way-- but the guy just asked for an estimated price. While he did say he was going to sell it, he may not be selling it here. For all we know he's just looking for a ballpark price to makes sure he's not getting hosed by his local game store on a cash deal.

Either way, I'm confident he'll be back to either explain his intentions, or fan the fire. As for me, I have no real interest in the 2600 version- but I'll wait it out either way. :)

• Like 1

I guess it's odd he hasn't been back to let us know what system this Qubes is for. I mean, a picture is one thing and it's been said that stuff happens on that. I guess the same is true in life, stuff happens and maybe he hasn't been able to get back with us.

I don't know, I don't get the appeal if it is a hoax. :?

I guess it's odd he hasn't been back to let us know what system this Qubes is for. I mean, a picture is one thing and it's been said that stuff happens on that. I guess the same is true in life, stuff happens and maybe he hasn't been able to get back with us.

It's probably real, I am sure he just figured Ebay is the best route.

Ehh I would guess that he jumped the gun and most likely has the regualar Qbert. He found a Qbert game and searching highest to lowest on ebay found very high prices on QQ. Hey mine has Qubes on the front that is it and in his excitement he made the posts here.

Even without a camera he could have gotten back to us with the exact title and platform.

I'd say not wanting to be labeled a troll (which is unjustified) and having no real financial motivation there isn't much point for him to bother or he would have at least confirmed the title and platform.

I don't think this was orchestrated but yeah you got to feel old when kids these days don't have the first clue who Qbert is.

Qbert might be the biggest dead licenced videogame character there is. Can you think of any which are bigger?

It's probably real, I am sure he just figured Ebay is the best route.

I wonder if this eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2707499733871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270749973387&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] is it. Description states it is sealed and the seller is too lazy to use an actual photo.

Qbert might be the biggest dead licenced videogame character there is. Can you think of any which are bigger?

I think you nailed it with Q*bert, I can't think of anything even close. Hell, Q even had his own saturday morning cartoon, not to mention TONS of merchandise.

I remember a few years ago I bought a Crystal Castles arcade machine from this total MILF. I thought it was awesome that she was into classic arcade machines so we chatted for awhile. I mentioned Q*bert was on my wanted list and she strongly agreed she would love to own one, then her model like early 20's boyfriend looks at us with a glazed blank stare and says "what the heck is a Q*bert?" We both laughed, then felt old :D

• Like 1

I think you nailed it with Q*bert, I can't think of anything even close. Hell, Q even had his own saturday morning cartoon, not to mention TONS of merchandise.

I remember a few years ago I bought a Crystal Castles arcade machine from this total MILF. I thought it was awesome that she was into classic arcade machines so we chatted for awhile. I mentioned Q*bert was on my wanted list and she strongly agreed she would love to own one, then her model like early 20's boyfriend looks at us with a glazed blank stare and says "what the heck is a Q*bert?" We both laughed, then felt old :D

What's a MILF?

What's a MILF?

MILF - This link is NSFW (Not Safe For Work).

I wonder if this eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2707499733871?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270749973387&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] is it. Description states it is sealed and the seller is too lazy to use an actual photo.

I don't think so. The condition has the "if applicable" in parenthesis, so it doesn't necessarily have to be sealed/shrinkwrapped, and the auction description states that it has "been tested and works perfectly" so the "brand new condition" might indicate cart & label quality, although using a stock photo doesn't encourage this interpretation.

If the OP wants to come back and talk about his find, he's welcome to do so, although with some of the responses in this thread, I wouldn't blame him if he didn't.

I can't tell you how many forums I joined and posted less then 30 post in through the years. I find out about something cool but complicated, I learn as much as I can find and still need to know more to get whatever it is done, I find a forum, post about 20 questions and responces to get right and I'm done with that forum. It is possible that he just wanted opinions from collectors.

I also think its possible its just QBert and the they don't want to admit they jumped to conclusions. If I was new to a forum and made a mistake like that I would be just as likely to walk away than to admit I was wrong like that. The OP also mentions classic gaming isn't something they are really into, so it isn't like they have a want to be here anyway. Just as easy to go away as come back and fill us in.