IGNORED

Songmate a new Compumate Cassette Rarity and Interest check

edintv

If you want additional pictures for your site, please let me know.

That would be fantastic.

A picture of the loose tape and pictures or (even better) scans of the back of the blisterpack and the cassette inlay would be nice.

SongMate added:

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-2600-vcs-songmate_27063.html

Does it actually have a format, btw?

PAL or NTSC I mean?

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Cool find!

Isn't the Picturemate NTSC, Rom? Most of these have come from Venezuela, and they work fine on NTSC TV's. I also thought there was 4 Picturemates accounted for?

- Marco

- Nofrills100

- eBay auction number 230535638502 by Mabb, Oct 7th (or so) 2010

- an earlier ebay in 2010, about February or March? This one sold with a best offer IIRC. I seem to remember the buy it now was about $100, but it sold for a best offer.

PAL or NTSC I mean?

I think both tapes would work on NTSC and PAL alike. If you look at the PictureMate tape inlay, it tells you to switch the CompuMate into graphics mode before loading something from the tape. Therefore you would only load a couple of pictures (of animals ?) into the graphics editor. And since the picture resolution is the same in the NTSC and PAL CompuMate, I don't think the TV format matters for this tape.

I suppose it's the same for the SongMate tape, except that you load a couple of songs into the CompuMate's music editor.

PAL or NTSC I mean?

I think both tapes would work on NTSC and PAL alike. If you look at the PictureMate tape inlay, it tells you to switch the CompuMate into graphics mode before loading something from the tape. Therefore you would only load a couple of pictures (of animals ?) into the graphics editor. And since the picture resolution is the same in the NTSC and PAL CompuMate, I don't think the TV format matters for this tape.

I suppose it's the same for the SongMate tape, except that you load a couple of songs into the CompuMate's music editor.

I see.

I hope I can change this.

AFAIK there's no option for a non formatvin our backoffice.

8)

- an earlier ebay in 2010, about February or March? This one sold with a best offer IIRC. I seem to remember the buy it now was about $100, but it sold for a best offer.

I didn't know that.

Is there any verification on that one?

8)

Without people stepping forward and saying "i got that one" there is nothing to say they aren't listings for the same item, or that the item actually genuinely sold at all.

Edited by nofrills100

I also agree that the cassettes contain some pictures/songs to be loaded on the CompuMate and the second side is blank to save your own pictures/songs.

Here is the inlay from PictureMate:

post-27767-0-59347300-1305764376_thumb.jpg

So if there is tapes for the picture editor and the music editor I wonder is there is a tape for the Basic editor out there somewhere?

Without people stepping forward and saying "i got that one" there is nothing to say they aren't listings for the same item, or that the item actually genuinely sold at all.

What I remember about it is that the seller wasn't Mabb. I've dealt with Mabb before, and had a very good transaction! It always sticks out in my mind when he is selling.

It was a different Venezuela seller, and it sold as a best offer. It also had a bin, but the seller took the best offer. Did you buy yours with a best offer early in 2010?

What I remember about it is that the seller wasn't Mabb. I've dealt with Mabb before, and had a very good transaction! It always sticks out in my mind when he is selling.

It was a different Venezuela seller, and it sold as a best offer. It also had a bin, but the seller took the best offer. Did you buy yours with a best offer early in 2010?

What is the story of that Seller? Mabb? it seems that dissapears from Here and Ebay a year ago way before my time. DId you know his real name?

I got mine from Marco, he still has one in blister pack.

I didn't know that.

8)

I agree. It is possible that Rom could be counting the same cart twice. Even if he didn't and an ebay auction was verified along with it being proven to not to be the same cart, he could still count the cart again later if he can't put a name with the cart.

Also, it doesn't make sense to count the carts that have been known to exist but only the ones that are presently known to exist. If Rom can't contact an owner of a cart and have them say,"I got that one." then Rom doesn't know that the cart currently exists.

I didn't know that.

8)

I agree. It is possible that Rom could be counting the same cart twice. Even if he didn't and an ebay auction was verified along with it being proven to not to be the same cart, he could still count the cart again later if he can't put a name with the cart.

Also, it doesn't make sense to count the carts that have been known to exist but only the ones that are presently known to exist. If Rom can't contact an owner of a cart and have them say,"I got that one." then Rom doesn't know that the cart currently exists.

Exactly.

That's why I only know of three known to exist carts.

8)

Dumping doesn't affect the value of the orginal at all.

Look at Boing, Eli's Ladder, Ultravision's Condor Attack or, as I mentioned already, Sword of Saros, Suvival Island etc....

This is a myth put around by the people who own the original to frighten collectors or ego up their own personalities.

See my example for Eli's Ladder instructions in a different thread, it's all about inflated egos.

Dumping the data would only affect the value of an unreleased game. With an unreleased prototype it is no myth that the price will be affected it is a fact. Dumping the data of something like this might even increase the value because it will increase awareness that it does exist. For sure this should be dumped asap because the data is very likely to fade if it hasn't already.

• Like 1

Do those cassettes actually still work, as cassettes seem to degrade over years. It's a shame if someone owns this cassette and sells it and it doesn't even work anymore

I can test the Tape if the winner ask me to. I have a compumate and I can play it in my "new" Atari Walkman. Btw, I have sold Many games on tapes in the past six months and I haven´t recieve a complain about mal function, I know that a lot of people keep their collection in the original Sealed box, but some others do open the boxes and play.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I received a PM from somebody claiming to have boxes of Songmate and Picturemate. I have connections in Venezuela so I am going to confirm this..... please stay tuned.....I do not want people to get ripped off like with the whole Ikari Warriors and Mororodeao fiasco.

• Like 1