IGNORED

Midi Maze and multiplayer questions

Hello,

What exactly is needed to play midi maze connecting two computers with two televisions? Are these parts readily available? Is there any other games for the atari 8 bit computers that you can connect together and play against one another on two televisions?

Thanks,

Mike

You don't need any special HW if you want to play MidiMaze on two computers. You must just connect some pins on SIO ports.

F.

Hello,

What exactly is needed to play midi maze connecting two computers with two televisions? Are these parts readily available? Is there any other games for the atari 8 bit computers that you can connect together and play against one another on two televisions?

Thanks,

Mike

You don't need any special HW if you want to play MidiMaze on two computers. You must just connect some pins on SIO ports.

F.

So, you can get a sio cable and rewire it to connect between two ataris? Is there a pin out online on how to wire the cable?

-mike

So, you can get a sio cable and rewire it to connect between two ataris? Is there a pin out online on how to wire the cable?

IIRC, just cross-wire DATA-OUT and DATA-IN and connect both grounds. You can even do that by using paperclips and 2 SIO cables.

Hello,

Thanks,

Mike

F.

-mike

I'm sorry but it seems that my information wasn't correct. There is no nullmodem device in original version of MidiMaze. It is possible to connect two Ataris using nullmodem only with version patched by Raster. :(

F,

I`m sorry but it seems that my information wasn't correct. There is no nullmodem device in original version of MidiMaze. It is possible to connect two Ataris using nullmodem only with version patched by Raster. :(

F,

Errrm,

with nullmodem you mean the same thing as Gamelink-2/Multilink for which games like Maze of Agdagon, Multi-Dash, Multi-Race, Multi-Worms, Speed-up and Speed-Up Gold are available ?!? If so, it would be very nice to get a patched file-version of MidiMaze for such a nullmodem...

Well, MidiMaze would be a game for which I would unpack (and use) my special gamelink SIO-cable again (have not used it for years, since it is a simple SIO-cable patch which allows only two computers to connect together and err, most gamelink programs are boring with only two players/two computers)...

-Andreas Koch.

Hello guys

Midi Maze can be used in "network configuration" but only if you use MIDI Interfaces, not MultiLink.

HARdwareDOC is working on new PCB's for a MIDI Interface, so that we can play MIDI Maze on multiple computers at the Fujiama 2011.

sincerely

Mathy

Hello guys

Midi Maze can be used in "network configuration" but only if you use MIDI Interfaces, not MultiLink.

HARdwareDOC is working on new PCB's for a MIDI Interface, so that we can play MIDI Maze on multiple computers at the Fujiama 2011.

sincerely

Mathy

So you need to have two midimates and two midi cables to play this game? Is there any other games that would merit getting that setup?

Thanks,

Mike

Hello Mike

Yes, two MidiMates or compatible MIDI interfaces (I'm not sure which MIDI interfaces are compatible and which are not). Not sure about how many cables you need, never used a MIDI interface but always wanted one. I have no clue whether there are other games that use MIDI interfaces on the Atari.

sincerely

Mathy

Hello puppetmark

Didn't know that.

This shows that supporting multiple interfaces doesn't have to be a problem. So we could have software that can use modems, RS232 interfaces, MIDI interfaces, Ethernet interfaces and the MultiLink interface.

sincerely

Mathy

Hello puppetmark

Didn't know that.

This shows that supporting multiple interfaces doesn't have to be a problem. So we could have software that can use modems, RS232 interfaces, MIDI interfaces, Ethernet interfaces and the MultiLink interface.

sincerely

Mathy

No problem. I agree with you. I am not much of a coder but this is a good example of what is possible.

I think if anyone wants to try and play Midi Maze in a head to head configuration, the XM301 mght be fun to try. I might give it a go sometime and see if a simple phone line interface actually works. I think a bunch of us have XM301s laying around not doing too much. However, the experience doesn't beat the MidiMate interface that can link up to 16 players.