IGNORED

iCADE on the way

My iCADE has shipped too! Already have Atari Greatest Hits... I hope iMAME4all gets a quick update.

I've tried Atari Greatest Hits with Wii remote, but no luck. Is this program looking for a bluetooth keyboard?

Apple's first bluetooth keyboard (which I have) isn't compatible with the iPad. Has anybody tried Greatest Hits with the newer bluetooth keyboards?

Sounds promising!

The weight of the unit combined with four rubber foot pads keep it from budging while the joystick and buttons are being manhandled.

I'm happy to report that it's a quality situation going on at the control deck. The buttons — all eight of them — feel exactly like those that you'd find on an old Defender cabinet. The stick feels rugged and substantial, if somewhat less "stiff" than some you might find in an arcade.

I found tearing through these classic games on the iCade to be everything I'd hoped it to be. On the whole, it's just an awesome experience.

Ok after a bit more time with thecontrols, the only caveat I have is that the joystick is not ideal as a trackball replacement for games like Centipede.. and I think this could be improved with a patch for the app.

Still, I had a blast playing it last night. Especially enjoyed Major Havoc, Asteroids, and Tempest.

TIP: Many games default to landscape view (i.e. Tempest), but if you want to keep the iPad in portrait orientation, there will be a setting for that in the game's options. If there isn't a "landscape/portrait" setting, change "Controls" to "Arcade".

• 1 month later...

Just noticed at the bottom of this page, more games are iCade-compatible now:

http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/icade

I can attest that Compression HD and Mos Speedrun control well with the iCade!

Thanks for the heads up! Those 2 games sure seem to be much more responsive to it than the Atari games. The control lag on some of the games, like centipede, is pretty bad. I think they need to revamp their "iCADE to trackball" code.

Edited by SpiceWare