IGNORED

130xe manual memory test

netbeui

I couldn't find the answer to this by searching.. Hoping someone can tell me how to manually enter the memory test screen on a 130xe. I have 3 with bad ram so they automatically go to the test but I just acquired a good one that boots to a blue screen with a "ready" prompt. I'm guessing it's good because it doesn't go to the memory test screen? I'd like to see a fully successful memory test on one of these machines. How can I enter the memory test mode? Is there a special key sequence?

Edited by netbeui

Type BYE

at the READY prompt..

Or hold down the <OPTION> key while switching on and you will automatically get there.

The standard memory test does only 64KB even on a 130XE with 128KB of memory. There is said to be an adapted mem test in late XE's showing full 128KB being tested but I've never seen it. And I never read about it being officially released by ATARI.

Type BYE

at the READY prompt..

Or hold down the <OPTION> key while switching on and you will automatically get there.

The standard memory test does only 64KB even on a 130XE with 128KB of memory. There is said to be an adapted mem test in late XE's showing full 128KB being tested but I've never seen it. And I never read about it being officially released by ATARI.

it exists... only a small percentage of 130XE's have it... all XEGS's have it tho... so if you put a 130XE type mem upgrade in one, it will check the 4-16k banks of ext ram...

sloopy.

Type BYE

at the READY prompt..

it exists... only a small percentage of 130XE's have it... all XEGS's have it tho... so if you put a 130XE type mem upgrade in one, it will check the 4-16k banks of ext ram...

sloopy.

Is it available somewhere? Then I could grab my EPROM burner from the dungeons and see it with my own eyes. :)

Is it available somewhere? Then I could grab my EPROM burner from the dungeons and see it with my own eyes. :)

Search for XL OS rev. 3 (the one from the late XEs) or rev. 4 (the one from the XEGS) at Freddy Offenga's website.

Really? I think my 130XE tests for 128K, but also the 'reset' button does nothing. I thought it was a bad keyboard, but perhaps the person before me reflashed the rom to that of an XEGS?

Just to avoid confusion: The ROM in the XEGS (rev. 4) is slightly different form the one in the late 65XE/130XE computers. But both process the Reset key identically, so your problem is definitely not caused by the OS.

Edited by Kr0tki

Really? I think my 130XE tests for 128K, but also the 'reset' button does nothing. I thought it was a bad keyboard, but perhaps the person before me reflashed the rom to that of an XEGS?

It could be the keyboard or keyboard connector.. But Ive seen that several times on 130xes caused by a cold solder joint.. Most likely where a resistor goes to the ground plane.. Look for resistors that dont look like any solder came through to the top side of the board when they were soldered. These poor joints tested good at the factory 25 years ago, but over time, oxidization increases their resistance.. They need to be resoldered.

• 1 year later...

It could be the keyboard or keyboard connector.. But Ive seen that several times on 130xes caused by a cold solder joint.. Most likely where a resistor goes to the ground plane.. Look for resistors that dont look like any solder came through to the top side of the board when they were soldered. These poor joints tested good at the factory 25 years ago, but over time, oxidization increases their resistance.. They need to be resoldered.

Reheated the joints on the connector and now it works great! Thanks MG