IGNORED

Meteor Shower

PacManPlus

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob,

Is this kind of issue something that other 7800 programmers should be aware of when coding?

-John

The issue was that he was doing a LDA $04,X instead of a LDA #$04. The LDA $04,X was reading from location $04 which is the TIA collision register. It just happened that the value it got on the real hardware and on most emulators worked in this case, but MESS on the other hand was returning a value that didn't work. To be provide truely accurate emulation MESS should return the same value as the real hardware, but I am not sure what that should be.

Edited by DanBoris

Yes, sorry - I was gone for a while.

This worked on real hardware and ProSystem so I never caught it. This was the offending line:

LDA	#PLYSHOT,X

It should have been

LDA	#PLYSHOT

MESS was loading $FF into 'A' which is the only value that would have made the program fail (I check for $FF to see if the object is disabled) :(

Thanks,

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus

Great game! One comment: I have played it in emulation with Prosystem and I found the base shooter is a bright colour - as are the mountains in the background. Unlike the Intellivision original that inspired this, I find that when moving the base back and forth, it kind of blends in a bit with the background mountains, and in the heat of gameplay can get a bit lost in the background. Or is it just me..?

Edited by ls650

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Great game! One comment: I have played it in emulation with Prosystem and I found the base shooter is a bright colour - as are the mountains in the background. Unlike the Intellivision original that inspired this, I find that when moving the base back and forth, it kind of blends in a bit with the background mountains, and in the heat of gameplay can get a bit lost in the background. Or is it just me..?

I think it is either "just (you)" or perhaps the color palette being used with ProSystem. On the actual system I don't encounter any blending, and don't see it under MESS either. Here are some captures straight from version 0.145u6:

post-18-0-27869400-1334710963_thumb.pngpost-18-0-26457100-1334710983_thumb.pngpost-18-0-36146900-1334711003_thumb.png

post-18-0-61359500-1334711019_thumb.pngpost-18-0-51595700-1334711038_thumb.pngpost-18-0-09104400-1334711057_thumb.png

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

What is the difference between SP and SH suffix? Thanks for any info.

Don't use an emulator, so can't help with that part, but the H is just the H from "sHower" in the name. That should be the NTSC version.

The P should be for PAL.

desiv

• 7 years later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Meteor Shower on tomorrow's (Tue Sep 21, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 4PM PT | 7PM ET | 11PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(WATCH IN 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

• Like 3