IGNORED

Looking for Atari 8000 XL OS Sources

JAC!

PM a paypal, or google checkout ID, and i will throw my $20 towards this... (enter sob story here as to why I have so little for a worthy cause :'(

sloopy.

OfficeMax will scan this for $0.25 per page. There are a couple of hundred pages... Anyone else want to participate?

Bob

A lot of folks have the hardcopy. What would be nice is to be able to edit and print the thing. Where would I go to get it scanned? (it's a couple of hundred pages...) What format should we make it? If it is a PDF, can we edit it?

I'm not sure that really a lot of folks have a hardcopy of the original XL OS. Your copy is the first one that I've seen. There might be others that have it, but as long as they keep it secret and don't want to share it, then for the rest of us it doesn't count.

Nowadays, most photocopy and printshops are full digital. Those same places that photocopy a whole book (sometimes thousands of pages) for students, should be able to make a good scan. Yes, a PDF would be fine.

No, we won't be able to edit it with the scan. But that is the first step. Once the scans would be publicly available, people eventually would OCR it (manually, or automatically), and we'll have an editable and searchable file. Without the scans that won't be possible.

Again, I would be glad to contribute money for the scanning cost.

@Kr0tki: Yes, long lines seem to be truncated. Hopefully we won't miss too much. Regardless, that seems to be the best thing we have so far.

OfficeMax will scan this for $0.25 per page. There are a couple of hundred pages... Anyone else want to participate?

Bob

If it comes to that, my office has a copier that emails out PDF files. No OCR or indexing, but then, I bet OfficeMax won't do that either. If desired, I'd be happy to have it sent my way and I'll scan it. I could even post it on my website...

--Kurt

Hmmm, it seems that I also have a hardcopy of that document.

Not sure how I got it, but I have scanned it to 5 TIF-files -many- years ago.....

Very usefull except that the remarks are cut.

Quality is to bad for OCR I guess.

Later,

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

Not sure how I got it, but I have scanned it to 5 TIF-files -many- years ago.....

Very usefull except that the remarks are cut.

Quality is to bad for OCR I guess.

Later,

Sijmen.

If you post the whole thing, I'm sure that I could fix it up.

Yep, looks like the same document, even with the same hand written.

But just 5 TIF files for a 200 (or so) pages document?

Anyway, if you have the whole document scanned, please do post it. Don't worry about OCR, I'm sure once it is publicly available, it would be OCRed sooner or later.

Yeah, 5 files, 14 Mb total.

We had a XEROX copier at work that did scanning + sending to a receipient on the network.

So I just trowed in a pile each time, pressed scan and went back to my office.

The mailbox did the rest :-)

Hmmm, that was in 2004, how time flies.

Before sharing, are their any legal issues?

I for sure do not want to get into trouble by 'not having' this document......

Later,

Sijmen.

You would have to ask a lawyer...

But, since you have already distributed part of the listing, doing the rest will not matter, will it?

Almost all the manuals, listings and books available on the internet are copyrighted. Why would this one be different?

I'll make a copy of mine if you would rather. Just going to cost $ and time.

Bob

Yeah, 5 files, 14 Mb total.

We had a XEROX copier at work that did scanning + sending to a receipient on the network.

So I just trowed in a pile each time, pressed scan and went back to my office.

The mailbox did the rest :-)

Hmmm, that was in 2004, how time flies.

Before sharing, are their any legal issues?

I for sure do not want to get into trouble by 'not having' this document......

Later,

Sijmen.

bob1200xl,

I would be willing to volunteer the use of my multifunction printer for scanning purposes, if it will help. We would need to transport the document to my house, but that can be easily arranged.

I think I can convince the wife to allow another trip to your house to collect and then return the documents.

Russ

Sounds good - let's see if we can get the existing TIFF files...

Bob

bob1200xl,

I would be willing to volunteer the use of my multifunction printer for scanning purposes, if it will help. We would need to transport the document to my house, but that can be easily arranged.

I think I can convince the wife to allow another trip to your house to collect and then return the documents.

Russ

Ok, here it goes.

Used winzip, and added .zip to the end of all files.

Otherwise it wouldn't upload ;-)

So, download, remove the extra .zip extension and unzip.

Enjoy the code, A pitty that part of the writers comments are cut off.

Later,

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

I successfully converted the above files to .pdf files with "tiff2pdf"

It is open source, nothing to buy, no other bs... unlike pactically every other converter out there...

tiff2pdf is here

you need both tiff-3.8.2-1-bin.zip and tiff-3.8.2-1-dep.zip

I suggest making a "usr/local/bin" folder on your Windows drive, then make a folder called tiff2pdf

copy tiff2pdf.exe, and all of the .DLL dependencies to your new tiff2pdf directory

add this full path to your windows PATH: C:usr/local/bin/tiff2pdf

open the command line, change dir to the directory that you downloaded the above tiffs

(I added an underscore character between the #s un all of the tiff files, ex: tiff2pdf -o XL-OS_1.pdf XL-OS_1.tif )

then just convert (Example: tiff2pdf -o xl-addendum.pdf xl-addendum.tif)

You will receive the following warning:

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, XL-OS_5.tif: unknown field with tag 32934 (0x80a6) encountered.

...ignore it, the .pdfs are A-OK.

I would have just posted the pdf files, but they are big, and I'd rather clean the documents up, and put them into one big file, available from Megaupload.

Anyway, until then, if you want to peruse the stuff in .pdf, the above directions will tell you how to make them locally.

Enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

What is the status on this?

Are the files somewhere? (I don't see them...)

Bob

I successfully converted the above files to .pdf files with "tiff2pdf"

It is open source, nothing to buy, no other bs... unlike pactically every other converter out there...

tiff2pdf is here

you need both tiff-3.8.2-1-bin.zip and tiff-3.8.2-1-dep.zip

I suggest making a "usr/local/bin" folder on your Windows drive, then make a folder called tiff2pdf

copy tiff2pdf.exe, and all of the .DLL dependencies to your new tiff2pdf directory

add this full path to your windows PATH: C:usr/local/bin/tiff2pdf

open the command line, change dir to the directory that you downloaded the above tiffs

(I added an underscore character between the #s un all of the tiff files, ex: tiff2pdf -o XL-OS_1.pdf XL-OS_1.tif )

then just convert (Example: tiff2pdf -o xl-addendum.pdf xl-addendum.tif)

You will receive the following warning:

TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, XL-OS_5.tif: unknown field with tag 32934 (0x80a6) encountered.

...ignore it, the .pdfs are A-OK.

I would have just posted the pdf files, but they are big, and I'd rather clean the documents up, and put them into one big file, available from Megaupload.

Anyway, until then, if you want to peruse the stuff in .pdf, the above directions will tell you how to make them locally.

Enjoy.

What is the status on this?

Are the files somewhere? (I don't see them...)

Bob

It looks like the original poster removed them, for some reason.

I'm in the midst of a huge data-migration, with several systems, and won't be able to post the full .pdf for a while... sometime within a month... maybe sooner, but not later.

Edited by UNIXcoffee928

Bob

Any of you work anywhere with larger HP or Xerox copier/printer units? These commonly scan to network as PDF via the automatic document feeder. 15 minutes standing over it letting the feeder do its business, a bit of reassembly in Acrobat, and voila!

Bob

Any of you work anywhere with larger HP or Xerox copier/printer units? These commonly scan to network as PDF via the automatic document feeder. 15 minutes standing over it letting the feeder do its business, a bit of reassembly in Acrobat, and voila!

We might have something like this where I work - I've set a reminder on my calendar to check on Monday. I have 24/7 access to the building (being in IT has some advantages).