IGNORED

SIO2USB with a FTDI basic breakout board

netbeui

I've got it cased up and have been putting it through its paces with AspeQt..

I had mentioned before that I couldn't get lower than Pokey 3 or 4 using AspeQt and Sloopy's SIO2USB ( ;) ) device. I was able to get to zero with this FTDI board and the high-speed code of the IDE+2. I did get several files trashed at zero using my HD backup program written in Action!. So zero looks like it may be a bit too much for this setup. Maybe a better sector copier might do better. But anyway, I'm very pleased with the results.

-Larry

I use Hias's hi-speed patch with DOS 2.5 (or the hi-speed OS that came with U1MB which is already patched, with SDX 4.45) and haven't had any problems with divisor 0 so far. At that divisor AspeQt shows 125KB operating speed (read). With SDX I have a CONFIG.SYS file with DEVICE SIO /A line in it. /A tells SDX to use OS's SIO routines rather than the one built-in SDX. This way divisor 0 is possible without problems. Also having a fast PC seems to make a difference. I believe SDX manual suggests setting the divisor as low as 3 to have a stable operation when using SDX's SIO routines.

I haven't used Sloopy's cable but mine (the one I build and sell) is also based on FT232Rx chip (like sloopy's) and it has no problems at divisor 0 (in fact that chip is rated up to 3Mbaud) so the bottleneck is usually the software not the hardware.

Edited by atari8warez

I re-ran my backup program at Pokey "1" and "2." At "1" I still got one scrozzled file (down from 4 or 5 at Pokey "0"). With "2," none. Ran it again at "2" with the same error-free results. I'm good with Pokey "2." As Drac030 reported, he got good results at "1" so your mileage may vary... One feature that I particularly like about AspeQt is the continuous sector count update.

I used hot melt to anchor the board in my little project box, which of course can be removed with Isopropyl Alcohol if I need to change something.

-Larry

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue where I required a serial port to dial in a thermal printer prior to trying to implement it into my atari. I also recently purchased an aruino uno and mega2560 and I am trying my hand at that arena as well.

This unit cost 6$ at Digikey. I have set it up and Windows sees the board and now its time to see if I can use the printer. I am using Hardware handshaking

http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Modules/DS_UMFT234XF.pdf

Good Luck!

Douglas

I tried this with a FT232R breakout board but it doesnt work, the tx led flashes for awhile as the Atari boots but then it stops as it shows the ready screen, I tried with APE and AspeQt and various ATR images, none boot.

I think I may have a similar issue. I tried AspeQt under Linux and most ATR images don't boot for me. I either get the memo pad, or it partially loads the image. What OS are you running on the PC side?

A note for those shopping for a FT232 board on ebay: some retailers are using a title of "FT232" on their auctions, but in the details the board is actually a PL2303. It'll work (I have one working with my 800), but some users report it's not as good as the FT232. The PL2303 also has compatibility issues with Windows 8 on the PC side.

Edited by eeun

Guys, there are fake/counterfeit FTDI FT232R/RL chips in circulation, and this is not just a fairy tale it is true. I personally received 20 faulty chips from a Chinese distributor recently as some of you may know I build and sell SIO2PC devices, that was one f the reasons why my 4th run of the SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB delayed a bit. I since RMA ed those chips to FTDI and they will look at them and confirm whether they are counterfeit or simply defective.

I am not saying the chips in your breakout devices are faulty or fake but that's a possibility too, so be careful when picking your supplier. I personally from now on will source all of my chips from Digikey to be on the safe side, saving a few bucks on parts only made the whole device more costly at the end :)

Edited by atari8warez

A note for those shopping for a FT232 board on ebay: some retailers are using a title of "FT232" on their auctions, but in the details the board is actually a PL2303. It'll work (I have one working with my 800), but some users report it's not as good as the FT232. The PL2303 also has compatibility issues with Windows 8 on the PC side.

Prolific chips are high risk for SIO2PC use, I would suggest staying away from them. SIO2PC timings are critical and I wouldn't use anything but a genuine FTDI chip if stable operation is an objective

Edited by atari8warez
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

FTDI board finally arrived from HK today:

post-21964-0-18525600-1400183081_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-51946100-1400183085_thumb.jpg

post-21964-0-85503900-1400183091_thumb.jpg

Light conductor works quite well, although it doesn't quite reach the SMD LEDs:

Eventually I'll glue a dummy screw head and nut into the recesses of the molex plug. Not bad for 2GBP and an hour's work. :)

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life..

But That item you built Flashjazz is that just an sio2pc.. or can this whole thing be used as a drive 2 pc device?

I am just not sure what these boards are able to do... many like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FT232RL-3-3V-5-5V-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter-Module-for-Arduino-Mini-Port-/381374421597?hash=item58cbafda5d:g:jk8AAOSwrklVMjIpare available.. so I am wondering if I am trying to get both sio2usb and drive2pc .. can this work for me?

James

Sorry for bringing this thread back to life..

But That item you built Flashjazz is that just an sio2pc.. or can this whole thing be used as a drive 2 pc device?

I am just not sure what these boards are able to do... many like this http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FT232RL-3-3V-5-5V-FTDI-USB-to-TTL-Serial-Adapter-Module-for-Arduino-Mini-Port-/381374421597?hash=item58cbafda5d:g:jk8AAOSwrklVMjIpare available.. so I am wondering if I am trying to get both sio2usb and drive2pc .. can this work for me?

James

Atarimax sells Universal SIO2PC/ProSystem interface that is completely auto-sensing, auto-switching and jumperless.

Also, Ray (atariwarez) used to sell SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB devices.

Building your own device is not that difficult. I made my own using FTDI breakout board and some other easy to obtain components:

Building the not so expensive SIO2PC/10502PC Dual-USB device

madi

• Like 1

And Lotharek also sells an SIO2PC-USB for 19.99 EUR.

001_s.jpg

- Michael

Unfortunately this device does not work as a drive2pc (or 10502pc) it only works the other way around.. or at least according to what I can read. I have sio2pc.. its drive to pc I am trying to get working.

James