IGNORED

SIO2USB with a FTDI basic breakout board

netbeui

So I found this.. but it looks like you had header pins to solder it to the breadboard?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FT232RL-FTDI-Serials-Adapter-Module-Mini-Port-f-Arduino-USB-to-TTL-3-3V-5-5V-/201543906640?hash=item2eecf3f550:g:tPAAAOSw~gRVrhnc

Also just to clarify.. this is a ANY DRIVE to PC correct?? not just a 1050? I see nothing in this that seems to be specific to a drive controller, just the sio signals?

Edited by Bikerbob

So I found this.. but it looks like you had header pins to solder it to the breadboard?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FT232RL-FTDI-Serials-Adapter-Module-Mini-Port-f-Arduino-USB-to-TTL-3-3V-5-5V-/201543906640?hash=item2eecf3f550:g:tPAAAOSw~gRVrhnc

Also just to clarify.. this is a ANY DRIVE to PC correct?? not just a 1050? I see nothing in this that seems to be specific to a drive controller, just the sio signals?

This is 6 pin/connections only breakout board (FTDI clone).

If used as is (no additional components), it may be used as:

SIO2PC only device by utilizing CTS for handshaking (connected to SIO7-command), while RXD and TXD are used for data IN/OUT.

Or

It can be used as 10502PC only device by utilizing DTR line to be connected to SIO7 (command line), while RXD and TXD are for data transfer IN/OUT.

Note: +5V (selected via jumper) and Ground source are present on the breakout board.

This mean that it can be used either as SIO2PC or 10502PC but not both at the same time.

If you would like to utilize it as 10502PC only, you could built it inside the 1050 drive.

As seen in the picture, this mini breakout board lacks external connections for RX and TX LEDs. CTS is the only method available for handshaking.

post-37046-0-08118600-1465080205_thumb.png

madi

Edited by Madi

Almost any Atari 400/800/XL/XE compatible drive.

But the drive should not use clock in/out lines - like Indus GT/LDW2000/CA2001 with Toms Turbo expansion uses - because they are not available.

Only Data in/out and Command.

Edited by lemiel

This is 6 pin/connections only breakout board (FTDI clone).

If used as is (no additional components), it may be used as:

SIO2PC only device by utilizing CTS for handshaking (connected to SIO7-command), while RXD and TXD are used for data IN/OUT.

Or

It can be used as 10502PC only device by utilizing DTR line to be connected to SIO7 (command line), while RXD and TXD are for data transfer IN/OUT.

Note: +5V (selected via jumper) and Ground source are present on the breakout board.

This mean that it can be used either as SIO2PC or 10502PC but not both at the same time.

If you would like to utilize it as 10502PC only, you could built it inside the 1050 drive.

As seen in the picture, this mini breakout board lacks external connections for RX and TX LEDs. CTS is the only method available for handshaking.

attachicon.gifbreakout.png

madi

Hmmm.. the link I put in was for a board identical to the one you used.. from the same supplier.. I saw those boards you pictured.. but I did not see the other connections so I thought they were not good enough to do the two way device.

But how did you connect the two boards? just pickup some header pins from the local electronics supply?

James

• 9 months later...

FTDI board finally arrived from HK today:

attachicon.gifFTDI_Board.jpg

attachicon.gifFTDI_SIO2PC.jpg

attachicon.gifSIO2PC_1200XL.jpg

Light conductor works quite well, although it doesn't quite reach the SMD LEDs:

Eventually I'll glue a dummy screw head and nut into the recesses of the molex plug. Not bad for 2GBP and an hour's work. :)

Where did you got your board?

• 5 months later...

Bringing back thread from the dead...

I am installing my SIO2PC FTDI board internally (600XL) and would like to add external LED's to the upper case on the right side. The board has on-board LED's already and although it seems like it would be a simple procedure, I'm at a loss. I googled and nothing came up except this thread. Any assistance would be great!

This is the board I have:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/432350/FTDI_Adapter_USB_Controller

It is an offical FTDI chip because I do not need a diode and it works flawlessly.

• Like 1

Bringing back thread from the dead...

I am installing my SIO2PC FTDI board internally (600XL) and would like to add external LED's to the upper case on the right side. The board has on-board LED's already and although it seems like it would be a simple procedure, I'm at a loss. I googled and nothing came up except this thread. Any assistance would be great!

This is the board I have:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/432350/FTDI_Adapter_USB_Controller

It is an offical FTDI chip because I do not need a diode and it works flawlessly.

Caution:

I do not have that Basic Breakout Board (FTDI FT232RL) type. I highly recommend that you test polarity (+/_) by a multi mater before going any further.

There are several ways you can add an external Led(s) to your board.

I will try to describe two of them only:

One LED only (red or green , etc.)

You need two wires. The first one should be connected to Atari GND pin (SIO4) or (the GND of the breakout board) to the short leg of the LED ( - ) via a 100-220 ohm resistor.
i.e. GND point --> Resistor --> short pin of the LED.
The other wire should be cumming from CTS pin on the board (Command pin #7 on Atari) to the long pin (+) of the LED.
i.e. CTS --> Long pin of the LED
The led will pulses whenever command is set.
Tow LED (red and blue as an example)
see the Picture.
post-37046-0-45350600-1505229493_thumb.png
Note: the negative point should be taken from the other side of the resistors (cut trace side) that are labeled (102 )
Also, use 2.5mm LED or smaller for best results.

madi

Edited by Madi
  • Like 4

Caution:

I do not have that Basic Breakout Board (FTDI FT232RL) type. I highly recommend that you test polarity (+/_) by a multi mater before going any further.

There are several ways you can add an external Led(s) to your board.

I will try to describe two of them only:

One LED only (red or green , etc.)

Tow LED (red and blue as an example)

madi

THANK YOU!!!

• 1 month later...

I try to made a SIO2PC, with FT232RL FTDI USB 3.3/5.5V to TTL Serial Adapter Module for Arduino Mini Port, and work just fine, but i tried with android in AspqQt software, but nothing happens, i connect de command SIO (pin7), to connect RI conector, or CTS, or DRS, but nothing happens.

Someone try with android, and what can i do with this, ¿or there not to be a option?

Sorry abour my english i never practice, i'm from Chile.

Hi Castudillo.

Most likely it's due to incompatibility of the USB Host mode in your Android device. If USB Host mode is working

it'll work possibly even faster with SOFT handshake (command frame is not detected by the state of command line,

but it's found by the software).

The only thing I can advice is to try on another Android device. I know that it's frustrating, but USB functionality

is sometimes limited by vendors (maybe to protect the hardware, business model or simply by ignorance) even

despite various OTG diagnostics apps claiming that it's supported. Sadly for us, typical Android users need

USB only to connect a pendrive or some other type of external flash memory.

Cheers,

W.

Hi again Castudillo.

Could you please check this version of AspeQt on your Android device:

https://github.com/greblus/aspeqt/blob/7edc2d76f71b326145a83233c6a8c3e1dedabbb0/android/apk/aspeqt.apk?raw=true

Please set DSR handshake (or other, depending on how you attached command line) and try to increase the speed as much as you can

(on my tablet I reached HSIndex 0, on my mobile HSIndex 4). It's just an experiment i did today with d2xx library from FTDI.

Hope it'll work for you any better. Unfortunately SOFT handshake = 19200bps only.

Cheers,

W.

Edited by greblus

• 1 year later...

I missed Larry's post and just puzzled it out and built it.

The FTDI device works and play well with others on the SIO bus.  I actually wired mine to one end of an SIO cable without removing the SIO connector.  At first by plugging in the wires soldered to short segments of large paperclip to act as pins.  Once I had the thing working, I soldered the wires to the inside of the sio cable.  It makes a 'Y' SIO cable that you can still use to connect to other Atari devices.  Since you aren't using +5vdc this is not a problem.  This way you can have your cake and eat it too.  In the picture the SIO end is not plugged in to a peripheral, but usually is plugged in to my 1050.

20190717_223512.jpg

• Like 2