IGNORED

EggVenture 2600 (Beta testing feedback WIP)

ScumSoft

Mwahahaha!

Well done actually. That surprise bat can be really tricky to get past.

I'll just leave it in PAL60 then. Do you have any suggestions for the game? any adjustments that would make it more fun or less aggravating? Seeing as it's my first real game, I could use any and all suggestions since my own testing doesn't reflect everyone else's viewpoint.

Yes, he's a tough one!

Some observations on the game play...

The Good:

• the tool/puzzle aspect is fun. More tools!
  • I like the moving obstacles. Kind of Caverns of Mars'y.
  • Personally I like the difficulty, but I enjoy old-school move-pixel-perfect-or-you-die games.

What could use work:

• the eggs in places I had been before seemed a bit off. It was a letdown after the puzzle eggs.
  • You've left me wanting more, which is a good thing, but the game doesn't have random replayability. Maybe there can be some randomization of the map, or eggs/tools can be in different rooms?

Overall I still stand by my statement that you've done something interesting here. Good job!

Mwahahaha!

Well done actually. That surprise bat can be really tricky to get past.

I'll just leave it in PAL60 then. Do you have any suggestions for the game? any adjustments that would make it more fun or less aggravating? Seeing as it's my first real game, I could use any and all suggestions since my own testing doesn't reflect everyone else's viewpoint.

That bat is going to drive me Batty. :P I tried playing on Pro and Easy modes, but the bat seems to fly at the same speed. I'm thinking he could probably fly rings around Superman. :D

Illya

current version doesn't work at all on z26 or at least not the version i have. i'll try it on my laptop later, where i have stella installed.

This game is designed to work with DPC+, a modern update of the DPC chip found in Pitfall 2. It will only work in the most recent version of Stella, or in a Harmony/Melody cart.

I'm taking notes guys, so keep all the comments coming.

@dwane413 If you still can't locate where the key goes:

then I need to highlight the area left of the castle where it's supposed to be dropped

@bomberpunk

Sorry but it plays nothing like Toki Tori, although a 2600 version of that game would be awesome.

I've finished the ending sequence a little while ago. So from here on out it's all bug fixes, gameplay tweaks and some music if I can squeeze that in.

Edited by ScumSoft

I should have the a release candidate up later today, running into space issues and need to restructure a few things.

I've redesigned the puzzles to fix a few things, so look forward to the real release :D

Sadly I don't think I can add music, but at least the gameplay is feeling much nicer now.

Edited by ScumSoft

Release candidate 1 posted

PAL version soon to follow. Need to take a bit of a break right now.

Have fun everyone! Remember to post any bugs or gameplay issues here so I can squish them before final release.

[edit]

RC2 posted, fixed some bugs which would prevent completing the game.

Edited by ScumSoft

Is it possible to know your real name?

I would like to save your game in the standard Atari VCS format (NAME) (YEAR) (SOFTWARE HOUSE, AUTHOR) (VIDEO FORMAT).bin

EggVenture (2011) (Scum Software, xxxxxx) (PAL60).bin

EggVenture (2011) (Scum Software, xxxxxx) (NTSC).bin

Moreover, your name would be forever remembered!

EDIT

EggVenture (2011) (Scum Software, Jurell Silks) (PAL60).bin

EggVenture (2011) (Scum Software, Jurell Silks) (NTSC).bin

Edited by Philsan

No problem. I'm not even sure if scorecolors: is documented, but when I ran into the same issue a short while back and dug it out of the bB source.

So all in all the only problem I see left is the Harmony pointer issues then.

I believe I've tracked it down to me not reloading the player data on every frame, as this would require almost a major rewrite on each of my subroutines. There is lot's of bankswitching going on to load the right GFX. I hope there is another way to fix this, as it shouldn't forget which data has been loaded like it does.

By the way, cute ending sequence!

It makes me laugh :D though I wonder if I should leave the score on the screen instead of rebooting and just fade to black instead.

Since the game is puzzle linear there isn't much variation on the scoring I'm finding out. I think I may adjust the scoring so it's much more dependent on how much time it took to retrieve the eggs, instead of fixed points for actions taken.

If you find the easter egg sequence then you can get a score bonus or 25k on easy and 50k on hard.

Right now there isn't a way to max out the score, which I think is a goal of most games on the 2600.

OK, I've decided to rework the score system then and since I've managed to free up more space, I might be able to add some other stuff to the game.

Thanks for helping me test.

[edit]

It may be smart to constantly readjust the DFxFRACINC sizes when changing the length of pfcolor or bkcolor statements. I think this always pads it out to the playfield length.

pfcolors:
$00
end

This takes 35 bytes when DF(0-3)FRACINC is set to 32 instead of a single byte. But adjusting DF(0-3)FRACINC to = 1 takes up only a byte.

Edited by ScumSoft

So all in all the only problem I see left is the Harmony pointer issues then.

I believe I've tracked it down to me not reloading the player data on every frame, as this would require almost a major rewrite on each of my subroutines. There is lot's of bankswitching going on to load the right GFX. I hope there is another way to fix this, as it shouldn't forget which data has been loaded like it does.

No, it shouldn't. I'm thinking there's an off-by-one bug in there (or similar) and the pointers are getting stepped on. It's just a matter of triggering it in a reproducible way, and then batari can fix it.

It makes me laugh :D though I wonder if I should leave the score on the screen instead of rebooting and just fade to black instead.

:)

I'm a big fan of fading, even though the 2600 can only do it in a coarse manner. I'd say fade to a black loop, and then check for reset or fire in the loop.

[edit]

It may be smart to constantly readjust the DFxFRACINC sizes when changing the length of pfcolor or bkcolor statements. I think this always pads it out to the playfield length.

That's weird - it's possible to set DFxFRACINC to a variable. I wonder what it does in that case. :ponder: