IGNORED

Starting over with my A8

Ah, figured it out. New version of WUDSN uses MADS as the default assembler, but their sample code on the installation page is compatible with ATASM. You have to open an .asm file with your editor of choice. Anyone know if MADS is preferable to ATASM? The documentation is in Polish. ATASM is almost MAC/65 compatible which appeals to me.

MADS is the most powerful, but I use ATASM because it is mac65 compatible. I tried to learn MADS but the manual was not in English and it was too daunting for me to try to understand the translations. There is a mac65 manual online, so ATASM was easy for me to learn.

Hi,

In fact MADS and ATASM are both based on MAC/65. You can adapt ATASM source to MADS with the following steps:

"* = X" => "ORG x"

".INCLUDE" => "ICL"

Minor things:

- MADS uses single and double quotes to distinguish between ASCII and screen code in .BYTE (there's no .SBYTE)

- MADS offers "RUN" and "INI" to create $2e0/$2e2 segments (no need for .BANK like in ATASM)

MADS offers ".PROC/.ENDP" blocks which are supported by WUDSN IDE and which help a lot in structuring the source.

post-17404-0-51188000-1314001624_thumb.png

And for the English docs, there is this thread.

Also Altirra detectes if there's MADS list file (created with .OPT l+) in the folder of the executable and load the labels automatically then.

Cheers, Peter

- MADS uses single and double quotes to distinguish between ASCII and screen code in .BYTE (there's no .SBYTE)

Didn't knew that, but I always used .sb to put text on screen (with Mads)

like:

.sb " screen text test "

(using single or double quotes do the same in this case)

Altirra detectes if there's MADS list file (created with .OPT l+) in the folder of the executable and load the labels automatically then.

Cheers, Peter

Altirra also does that for ATASM. Is there any difference in the the way it loads the labels in MADS that is different than ATASM? Thank you for you post, JAC!, I did not realize that it was that simple to go to MADS from Mac/65.

Altirra also does that for ATASM. Is there any difference in the the way it loads the labels in MADS that is different than ATASM?

For MADS, the .lst file with the complete listing is used. What do you mean? ATASM creates the same kind of listing only via "-v" or ".OPT LIST" and is creates it on sdtout. That's why WUDSN IDE captures the output and converts it into an XASM compatible label file (for use in Atari800Win for example). Or dou you refer to the "-l" option with is there (only) in the most recent ATASM version?

ATasm 1.06 beta (A mostly Mac65 compatible 6502 cross-assembler)

Usage: C:\jac\system\Atari800\Tools\ASM\ATASM\atasm.exe [-v] [-s] [-r] [-d[symbo
l=value] [-o[fname.out] [-m[fname.state]] <fname.m65>
 where  -v: prints assembly trace
        -s: prints symbol table
        -u: enables undocumented opcodes
        -m[fname]: defines template emulator state file
        -x[fname]: saves object file to .XFD/.ATR disk image [fname]
        -r: saves object code as a raw binary image
        -f[value]: set raw binary fill byte to [value]
        -o[fname]: saves object file to [fname] instead of <fname>.65o
        -d[symbol=value]: pre-defines [symbol] to [value]
        -l[fname]: dumps labels to file [fname]
        -Idirectory: search [directory] for .INCLUDE files
        -mae: treats local labels like MAE assembler

Altirra can do more with MADS output than with ATasm output. ATasm only outputs labels (-l), which only annotates the disassembly. MADS does this as well (-t), but the listing file (-l) enables source-level debugging. You can either open the .lst file as a source file, or you can use the Go To Source option in the disassembly and jump to the original source file. For best results you should invoke MADS with both the -l and -t flags and generate both the .lab and .lst files.

• Like 1

Altirra also does that for ATASM. Is there any difference in the the way it loads the labels in MADS that is different than ATASM?

For MADS, the .lst file with the complete listing is used. What do you mean? ATASM creates the same kind of listing only via "-v" or ".OPT LIST" and is creates it on sdtout. That's why WUDSN IDE captures the output and converts it into an XASM compatible label file (for use in Atari800Win for example). Or dou you refer to the "-l" option with is there (only) in the most recent ATASM

I am referring to the -l option in ATASM. I would love to use ATASM with WUDSN and be able to do source level debugging with Altirra, but I think it is not possible unless ATASM's author adds the ability to do a listing file similar to MADS. Your previous post showed me that it may not be too hard for me to use MADS if I already know ATASM, so I may just try to convert my source listing to MADS syntax so that I can get the source level debugging. BTW, I think WUDSN and Altirra are unbelievably amazing works. Once I used that combination, I could never go back to anything else for writing and debugging Atari 6502.

Edited by Tyrop

I installed and recieved the same error. So this is a bump.

I installed WUDSN with Eclipse on my Windows PC and everything seems to run fine, but when I select "Compile and Run" for the Example source code, I get an error "No ORG specified" and no output file was created. Anyone familiar with this error? I think it's a syntax error, but I'm not sure.

You can either set the default compiler to ATASM in the preferences (set "ATASM Editor" as Default for ".asm"), see WUDSN IDE

or adapt the source as describe above (post #32). I recomment watching the tutorials in any case.

Cheers, Peter.

Thank you. I indeed failed to do that step....

Using the button "Default" in the "File Associations" preferences you can set the default editor for a file extension, for example "MADS" for "*.asm"

You can either set the default compiler to ATASM in the preferences (set "ATASM Editor" as Default for ".asm"), see WUDSN IDE

or adapt the source as describe above (post #32). I recomment watching the tutorials in any case.

Cheers, Peter.