IGNORED

The demise of Hozer Video

Adriana

Now that Hozer Video is no more, what's going to happen with all those homebrew cartridges that Randy Crihfield used to make, the ones that AREN'T in the Atari Age store? Are they going to become instantly collectible?

I'm talking about titles like Alphanumeric Madness and 2600 Post-It Note and Yahtzee and a bunch of others. If these cartridges are no longer in production by Hozer Video, do they become instant collector's items?

And what if they are picked up for production by someone else (perhaps Atari Age?) Then are the original Hozer Video label version of these cartridges going to be seen as more rare, and hence, more valuable? What do you all think about this?

There's nothing really stopping anyone from making most of these games, when BINaries are floating around the web. But I guess the Hozer Video label could become collectible to someone? :ponder:

Really though if I had to choose between one of the newer homebrew labels, and an older Hozer label, I'd buy the newer one. These new labels ROCK!!

And for most of the older homebrews & hacks, which have been sold & in circulation for years now, how many newer copies will people be buying anyway? Say if they were re-released at some point down the road?

You might find that there's more of the older Hozer label, of a particular game that might have been re-released, to the point that it's actually more common than the re-release...

Now that Hozer Video is no more, what's going to happen with all those homebrew cartridges that Randy Crihfield used to make, the ones that AREN'T in the Atari Age store? Are they going to become instantly collectible?  

I'm talking about titles like Alphanumeric Madness and 2600 Post-It Note and Yahtzee and a bunch of others. If these cartridges are no longer in production by Hozer Video, do they become instant collector's items?

The easy answer is YES. No longer produced = rare and collectable.

The real answer is WHO KNOWS. It's not as if there were many buyers for those oddball titles when they were available. Still, people tend to covet the things that they cannot have so ... who knows?

BTW, does anyone have a list of the “Hozer Only” produced carts? Obviously this would include Thomas’s PAL conversions( :P ). The Ebivision titles too, I guess. Cracker’s Video Time Clock cart. What else?

BTW, does anyone have a list of the “Hozer Only” produced carts?  Obviously this would include Thomas’s PAL conversions( :P ).  The Ebivision titles too, I guess.  Cracker’s Video Time Clock cart.  What else?

Correct me if I'm wrong...

This Planet Sucks, Oystron, Mondo Pong, Qb, INV, Kamizaze Saucers, Sucky Zep Demo, Video Time Machine, Alphanumeric Madness, 2600 Post It Note, Rescue Bira Bira, Edtris 2600, Tetris26, SoundX, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Boing Amiga Demo, Pressure Gauge, Yahtzee, Video Simon, Pesco, Merlin's Walls, and a HUGE number of really basic graphic hacks.

There are others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. This is just off the top of my head.

We do plan to add as many homebrew titles as possible. In some cases this is already in the works and we are working on labels, manuals, etc. In other cases we have yet to hear back from the authors, or have yet to track them down (anyone know where Ed Federmeyer is?).

All the less-involved hacks (like 15 versions of Space Invaders) will not be in our store, but we will make these upon request. However, they will come witout a label at least for the time being.

There are already other people making carts for the 2600, check out www.atarifun.com , they have a list of games they can put on carts for $8, cheaper than Hozer and I'm sure they can put any ol' hack on cart if requested. I've ordered from them and they've been reliable.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

This Planet Sucks, Oystron, Mondo Pong, Qb, INV, Kamizaze Saucers, Sucky Zep Demo, Video Time Machine, Alphanumeric Madness, 2600 Post It Note, Rescue Bira Bira, Edtris 2600, Tetris26, SoundX, Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Boing Amiga Demo, Pressure Gauge, Yahtzee, Video Simon, Pesco, Merlin's Walls, and a HUGE number of really basic graphic hacks.  

There are others I'm forgetting, I'm sure. This is just off the top of my head.

Don't forget about Cubis and the Stella @ 20 videos.

I posted this reply in the first thread when it became nothing more than a bash-fest. I'll reiterate it now before we go down that long road all over again:

Ok - that's it. Just f-in drop it, people. I've not chimed in, because I'm not directly involved. Neither are most of you chiming in on this subject. The damage is done. The bridges are burned. The feelings are crushed. The trust violated. The lines are drawn. And minds have been made up by all. Thomas did what he felt needed to be done. As did Randy. As did "The Als" and Joe. At this point, however, all I'm seeing is - what appears to be - needless bitching from folks who are not directly embroiled in this whole confrontation. Let's move on from this point, shall we? Thank you.  

"Had Enough" Snider-Man

Easy Snider-man, I think you are simply replying to King Atari's somewhat off topic reply, but the question posed by Adrian is legit.

I think we all know how you feel about the Randy bashing that went on (the post you just quoted sure shocked the hell out of me), so let's just all keep this on the topic of what Adrian is asking about and I think things will be fine (capice King Atari?) :)

Peace Keeper Stan |:)

However, they will come witout a label at least for the time being.

If I might make a suggestion - how about a generic AtariAge label, with a space on the label to write in the name of the game. That way, there's at least something on the carts to identify them. The purchaser can write-in the name themselves or not, if they so choose.

Interesting topic. I am sure that Hozer carts, especially the ones with the

plain Hozer labels, will be collectable... but not valuable. They will be

desirable for people interesting in odd ball items. And for Hozer's

historic place in Atari lore. Who would have thought there would be

a business manufactureing 2600 games in the 21st century? ;)

John

Hey, I like that. I had thought about a generic label, but the idea of a blank space for the title didn't occur to me. Duh! Thanks for the suggestion. :)

:idea: There are those B/W price tags (looking like an alphanumeric LCD display), where you only have to fill the unwanted white spaces with a black pen and you get a quite professional looking text.

post-45-1040977767.gif

Easy Snider-man, I think you are simply replying to King Atari's somewhat off topic reply, but the question posed by Adrian is legit.  

I think we all know how you feel about the Randy bashing that went on (the post you just quoted sure shocked the hell out of me), so let's just all keep this on the topic of what Adrian is asking about and I think things will be fine (capice King Atari?)

Spot-on bingo Stan. I just didn't want there to be 15 straight "Yeah, you're right. Randy does suck" messages chiming in...again. It got real tiresome, real fast.

Now, back on topic. I think a "blank AA label" is a great idea. In fact, how about a blank label "template" that you can feed into a printer to print the game name you need (instead of handwriting it)? Although handwriting it is good in a pinch too.

I think we all know how you feel about the Randy bashing that went on (the post you just quoted sure shocked the hell out of me), so let's just all keep this on the topic of what Adrian is asking about and I think things will be fine (capice King Atari?)  

Capice, I wasn't trying to start anything, sorry if it seemed that way.

My 2 cents on this matter:

I was alarmed when AA began selling the same titles that Randy was selling. The problem was, as a collector, who do I buy it from? Were AA's better than Hozers or vice versa, or did I have to start getting multiple copies?

I've been dealing with Randy for nearly ten years and never had a problem with him. I've known Alex since he started the Atari 2600 Nexus, and Albert since AtariAge was formed. Both are stand-up guys. I was hoping that both Hozer and AA could co-exist and offer different exclusive games, but not overlap.

Now that Randy has left the fold, I have no problem getting my homebrews from AA. They provide a great service and this guarentees that new homebrews will be available for years to come. Would I like Randy to return? Definitely! But only if the two could exist together, rather than competively. While competition is a good thing (hey, it brought us Activision!) there is no room for it in the hobby.

Just as an FYI (and a barometer for rarity) my copy of Edtris was number 203 (purchased in May of 1999 I think). I am not sure how many copies sold after, but I would gladly part with this now one of a kind personally numbered collectible for the right price. j/k

I have to agree that eventually they will be collectible, but never really valuable. I would think that most people buying homebrew atari 2600 games in the 90's would most likely hang on to them for the long haul. Therefore getting one could suddenly become tricky.

Randy was very helpful and a great resource for the hobby, I was disappointed to hear he was no longer providing this service. I have no idea who is right and wrong, but I wish him the best if he is reading this.