IGNORED

Sega Genesis Model 1 AV mod?

HatefulGravey

I looked through my bookmarks for the site from where I got my instructions, but it isn't there anymore. Looks like it was on an educational site, so it may have been a student's page that got shut down. Unfortunately, I didn't save the instructions locally.

The composite mod I did is incredibly easy to do. I just don't know what points to tell you to solder to without having my Genesis open.

Edit:

Seems like everyone does videos now instead of just writing text tutorials with pics. Unfortunately, most seem to like to talk a lot before they get to the actual mod.

Anyway, I pulled some pics from one of these videos. The pics show the pinout for the DIN along with wires soldered onto the bottom of the motherboard. The problem is that I believe this person is working on a Mega Drive, even though the video said it was for a Genesis. The reason I mention this is that the board looks a little different from mine.

As for the audio, you probably know you need to solder to the headphone jack for stereo. Before I go into this, note that I am doing this from memory (just had my Genesis apart a few days ago). If you lift up the headphone jack, you should see the points where it attaches to the board numbered 1, 2, and 3. I believe one is ground, two is right, and three is left. I would verify this prior to making your connections, though.

I don't know if this helps at all, but this is the best I can do tonight.

post-29207-0-78876700-1306894337_thumb.jpg

post-29207-0-43122000-1306894436_thumb.jpg

Edited by YAGRS

I got video working and then found out I don't have the proper drill bit. I leave town for the rest of the week for work so it will be the weekend before anything else gets touched. This was a big help and I did read a few helpful tips around but nothing solid on the sound yet. Hopefully things will be clearing by the weekend. All smartphone for me from here out to get my answers this should be fun.

While I like Damomonsters Youtube videos, I disagree with where he recommends to pull audio from. He suggests pulling it straight from the Yamaha sound chip. Many folks have tried this and it appears that the audio is far below line level and would need some kind of inline amplifier to bring it up close to line level.

I suggest pulling it from the headphone jack. Set the volume slider to about 7 or 8 and your audio is just fine.

Here are a couple pics I use when I tap the audio on a model 1 Genesis.

rcamod1rs.jpg

rcamod2rs.jpg

Not my pictures, but I have used them and they work fine.

Those are the points I soldered to on my model 1 Genesis, and mine works fine as well.

Just make sure that if you use those points for your audio, you use the volume control on the Genesis. I had my Genesis together and hooked it up to the TV, but I had no audio. It wasn't until I had it apart again to check my connections that I realized that my volume control had been set all of the way down. :ponder:

Has anyone ever seen something like this done with a 32x? It will be another week before I'm back home to finish this project up, and I feel certain I'll get it done right with all this info here. However, while thinking of this I am wondering about AV outs on the 32x as well. Its a sickness, when you start with standard AV outs everything must have them!

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get this done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Mushrooms?

Here's how to make a JAMMADRIVE out of one..(with halt button and 14 MHz switch)

1503986_502068886573226_1984801343_n.jpg

..and here's a direct link to click through a couple more pics of the process..

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x323/Papa761203/1503986_502068886573226_1984801343_n.jpg

clicking right will show the back and the kitty.. clicking left will show the end results and then the installation. We wired 6-button controllers directly into the Happ joysticks and buttons..

Edited by Papa