IGNORED

Tomy Tutor...anyone?

I have no intention of selling these. It would cost too much, and take too much time away from other projects.

I will make sure all the design files and artifacts are available on GitHub.

This was a case of throwing good money after bad. If the original keyboard was functional, I would not have.

-M@

• 2 months later...

Hi! I've been having fun with my Tomy Tutors too. I bought the Japanese Pyuta because I've not seen one before and it was dirt cheap. Of course, it was cheap because the keyboard was dead (and my attempts to fix it made it worse), so I bought a second, US version (not so cheap) so I could reuse the keyboard membrane. But of course, the new machine is actually in better nick and has a few subtle differences, so I'm going to keep it intact. Oh, and I bought the console version (broken) because it was cheaper than buying the controllers separately. And of course I now want to mend that.

So in the course of a couple months I find myself with a Pyuta collection. I never planned to have a Pyuta collection. And two of those Pyutas don't work, so I also have double the number of broken Pyutas!
I did find a company in the UK who would make new membranes for it - same company we used to do new membranes for Sinclair computers - but it's very expensive unless we make lots, and I can't imagine there's the market for that.

Oh, and anyone know if the Pyuta Jr console is simply the big machine without the keyboard, or if there's more differences?
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 6/20/2018 at 10:01 PM, teame said:

pyutaq2kfb.jpg

- Fit's in all available Pyuuta/Tutor's

- Play's all 8kb and 16kb games

- Uses a 4mbit flashrom (enough space for all available 8kb and 16kb games)

- Games are selectable with DIP-Switch

- Fit's inside a Megadrive Cartridge (YES, a Megadrive-Cartridge fits perfectly inside the Pyuuta/Tutor)

...the cartridge is available for sale...

I went hunting at PRGE last year for megadrive doner cartridges... there are plenty... but then I just ended up buying a Genesis. 

So I made a case for this cartridge board finally.

STL and OpenSCAD source are up here: 

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3901688

tomy-tutor-cartshell-front.thumb.jpg.0a1a1ccd1d6969ce71b3a5150f31da1e.jpgtomy-tutor-cartshell-back.thumb.jpg.d9b21622199ac1349f649dd5199d289e.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 10/23/2016 at 10:16 PM, jedimatt42 said:

So, Sega Genesis 3 button controllers are just so versatile... I picked up one at PRGE for a few bucks, pulled all of the discrete components and the encoder chip off of the board, and then wired the gamepad up for player 1.

pin 1 - brown - player 1 common
pin 2 - red - player 2 common / unused
pin 3 - orange - SL -
pin 4 - yellow - SR -
pin 5 - green - down -
pin 6 - blue - left -
pin 7 - grey - up -
pin 8 - black - right -
pin 9 - white - unconnected -

-M@

This worked for me Matt! Thanks!

57521EC3-3289-4962-ABC6-23CB9170AD0E.jpeg

25178D4E-8E24-444E-AE35-56E9F0E913F0.jpeg

A8757D2A-6BE4-4136-A876-EA77AB9E2F64.jpeg

5F79FCC3-F6FC-4042-A2D4-07CD7BF4B86A.jpeg

• Like 2

Jan 2020 Phoenix VAST Meetup included a survey of the Tutor Multi-Carts. @sparkdrummer and the entire VAST community were in attendance — 100% participation.

May need to make a YouTube best of video for these carts. 

@retroclouds Pitfall was amazing and @jedimatt42’s Sega Genesis Tomy Tutor controller mod proved to best the native Tomy joystick.

76B735FF-C603-4261-8A0F-576173A4E82D.jpeg

68170DAC-EC10-4C64-B1C5-4ECDF5E613F0.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...