IGNORED

MESS carts and disks

KirkDCO

I have MESS running very nicely right now on a Fedora 15 LINUX system. I'm using the command line rather than a GUI front end, and can easily start the system with:

mess ti99_4a -windowed

I've been struggling a bit to get cartridges and disks working, however. Based on another thread (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/182724-win994a-under-linux-f15-with-wine/), I downloaded a large collection of cart roms and disks. For the cart roms, I use:

mess ti99_4a -windowed -cart1 <cartname.bin or cartname.rpk>

Specifically, when I try to use any of the roms in mess_modules.zip which all have the extension .bin, I get an error from mess saying "no pcb found" It seems that the .rpk files work fine. Of course, there may be enough redundancy between the .rpk and .bin files that everything is represented in each collection, but none the less, the .bin files don't seem to work.

I also cannot seem to load any disks using, for example:

mess ti99_4a -windowed -cart1 disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 anydisk.dsk

Once in Disk Manager, the system complains that there is no disk available.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

-Kirk

I have MESS running very nicely right now on a Fedora 15 LINUX system. I'm using the command line rather than a GUI front end, and can easily start the system with:

mess ti99_4a -windowed

I've been struggling a bit to get cartridges and disks working, however. Based on another thread (http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/182724-win994a-under-linux-f15-with-wine/), I downloaded a large collection of cart roms and disks. For the cart roms, I use:

mess ti99_4a -windowed -cart1 <cartname.bin or cartname.rpk>

Specifically, when I try to use any of the roms in mess_modules.zip which all have the extension .bin, I get an error from mess saying "no pcb found" It seems that the .rpk files work fine. Of course, there may be enough redundancy between the .rpk and .bin files that everything is represented in each collection, but none the less, the .bin files don't seem to work.

I also cannot seem to load any disks using, for example:

mess ti99_4a -windowed -cart1 disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 anydisk.dsk

Once in Disk Manager, the system complains that there is no disk available.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

-Kirk

Hi KirkDCO,

Take a look at my MESS script for the upcoming Gamebase TI99/4A project, I don't actually use .rpk's for system carts (only the odd game cart) and use Windows 7 - but it should give you some idea of what you will need to run.

;*********************************

;* Gamebase TI99 4/A Mess Script *

;* Use with Mess 140b > *

;*********************************

;*************** IMPORTANT INFO ****************

;Keep Caps-Lock "off" during loading

;Games may control better when keyboard is set to "Emulated" in MESS as this uses the native key-repeat: Options - Keyboard, however Gamebase TI-99/4A games must start using "natural" keyboard for Send_Keys() to work (-nat option).

;Use Emulated keyboard in mess Options - Keyboard if native keyboard is needed for keys such as "BEGIN" and "PROC'D".

;If the fast load option question annoys you then set global-var ask-fast = false in KV GLOBAL pairs.

;*DO NOT* interrupt the game loading procedure with mouse or keyboard activity.

;Options - Configuration - Floppy & HD speed must be set to "No Delay".

;Trouble releasing the Alpha-Lock in Emulation? Select Options - Keyboard - Emulated and press caps-lock, the emulator remembers the key state in emulated mode on exit.

;***********************************************

If Key_EVPC CONTAINS(true)

Add_CLP( ti99_4ev -nat)

Else

If Key_geneve CONTAINS(true)

Add_CLP( genmod)

Else

Add_CLP( ti99_4a -nat)

End If

End If

If %mouse_value% CONTAINS(true)

Add_CLP( -mouse)

End If

Add_CLP( -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui)

If GameType CONTAINS(Bin||rpk)

;Start Cartridge Game

Add_CLP( -cart1 %gamepathfile%)

If %cart2_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart2 "%gamepath%\%cart2_value%")

If %cart3_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart3 "%gamepath%\%cart3_value%")

If %cart4_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart4 "%gamepath%\%cart4_value%")

End If

End If

End If

Show_Message(*Keep Caps-Lock turned ON*)

If %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(*[*)

;Make selection from predefined sequence

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys(%keyseq_value%||50)

ElseIf %autoselect_value% CONTAINS(false)

;Let User select option from cart menu

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}||50)

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2||50)

End If

Else

;set required system carts to either extended basic or ed/assembler to run given disk/cassette

;- these carts must reside in the TI99-4A/System directory

If %cart1_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

If %cart1_value% CONTAINS(*System\edasm.gpl*)

;Added to cover legacy MESS E/A cart support - see note below

Add_CLP( -cart1 "%dbpath%\System\phm3055g.bin")

Else

Add_CLP( -cart1 "%dbpath%\%cart1_value%")

End If

If %cart2_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart2 "%dbpath%\%cart2_value%")

If %cart3_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart3 "%dbpath%\%cart3_value%")

If %cart4_value% CONTAINS(*.gpl*||*.bin*)

Add_CLP( -cart4 "%dbpath%\%cart4_value%")

End If

End If

End If

End If

If %ask-fast_value% CONTAINS(true)

If QUESTION(FASTLOAD? [Options-Max Speed 100% when loaded]%crlf%[*Keep Caps-Lock turned ON before loading*]%crlf%[*Don't use Keyboard/Mouse until loaded*]) = YES

Add_CLP( -nothrottle)

Else

Add_CLP( -throttle)

End If

End If

;System Boot Source

If %hard1_value% CONTAINS(*.HD*)

;Boot from Hard Drive

Add_CLP( -hard1 "%dbpath%\%hard1_value%")

Add_CLP( -flop1 %gamepathfile%)

ElseIf %flop1_value% CONTAINS(*.dsk*)

;Boot from system disks, eg: funnelweb

Add_CLP( -flop1 "%dbpath%\%flop1_value%")

If %flop2_value% CONTAINS(*.dsk*)

Add_CLP( -flop2 "%dbpath%\%flop2_value%")

If %flop3_value% CONTAINS(*.dsk*)

Add_CLP( -flop3 "%dbpath%\%flop3_value%")

If %flop4_value% CONTAINS(*.dsk*)

Add_CLP( -flop4 "%dbpath%\%flop4_value%")

Else

Add_CLP( -flop4 %gamepathfile%)

End If

Else

Add_CLP( -flop3 %gamepathfile%)

End If

Else

Add_CLP( -flop2 %gamepathfile%)

End If

End If

;Game File Source

If GameType CONTAINS(dsk)

Add_CLP( -flop1 %gamepathfile%)

Else

If GameType CONTAINS(wav)

Add_CLP( -cass1 %gamepathfile%)

End If

End If

If %cart1_value% CONTAINS(*edasm.gpl*||*phm3055g.bin*||*phm3026c.bin*)

If %cart1_value% CONTAINS(*edasm.gpl*||*phm3055g.bin*)

;CAN'T LOAD edasm.gpl IN CART1 WHEN USING MESS140B

;- NEED TO USE phm3055g.bin FOR E/A cart image, edasm.gpl stored in game key-value now only as legacy

;Load & run m/c program using ed/asm cart

If %autoselect_value% CONTAINS(false)

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2||100)

ElseIf %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(*[*)

;Make selection from predefined sequence

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2[2]3[1]%runprog_value%{ENTER}||50)

End If

End If

If %cart1_value% CONTAINS(*phm3026c.bin*)

;load & run basic program from disk using extended basic cart

If %runprog_value% CONTAINS(*DSK*)

;Select option from Disk directory listing

If %commandline% CONTAINS(*-throttle*)

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2[5]{ENTER}[10]||50)

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2[5]{ENTER}[10]%runprog_value%{ENTER}||50)

End If

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2{ENTER}[1]||50)

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2{ENTER}[1]%runprog_value%{ENTER}||50)

End If

End If

Else

;Let the User select

Else

If %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(*[*)

;Make selection from predefined keying sequence

Else

;Let the system program handle it

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2||50)

End If

End If

End If

End If

Else

;Load Others, EG:- Basic prog, HD startup etc.

ElseIf %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(*[*)

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

;MINIMEM special cases eg; Morphy, TI Space - needs special sequence to load through minimem cart and run in expanded ram

; - typically ex-cassette software ported to disk

ElseIf %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(MORPHY)

;One off special case as not enough character space to store whole line of key-seq in key-val pairs window

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]1[2]CALL INIT{ENTER}[1]OLD DSK1.MORPHY{ENTER}[16]SAVE EXPMEM2{ENTER}[2]CALL LOAD(-31888,63,255){ENTER}[1]NEW{ENTER}[1]OLD EXPMEM2{ENTER}[17]15 CALL PEEKV(-753,X){ENTER}[1]RUN{ENTER}||50)

ElseIf %keyseq_value% CONTAINS(SPECIAL)

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]1[2]CALL INIT{ENTER}[1]CALL FILES(1){ENTER}[1]OLD DSK1.%minimem_value%{ENTER}[20]SAVE EXPMEM2{ENTER}[2]CALL LOAD(-31888,63,255){ENTER}[1]NEW{ENTER}[1]OLD EXPMEM2{ENTER}[20]RUN{ENTER}||50)

;------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Else

Run_Emulator_Send_Keys([2]{ENTER}[1]2{ENTER}||50)

End If

End If

End If

So your final execution line would look something like these :-

.For a game cart in .rpk format -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\carts\pacman.rpk

.For a game cart in seperate .bin files (each bin file in the set needs reading in as a seperate cart entry)

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\carts\pacman\pacD.bin -cart2 c:\ti99\carts\pacman\pacG.bin

.For a disk running E/A assembler game -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\System\phm3055g.bin -flop1 c:\ti99\disks\pacman.dsk

.For a disk running Extended Basic game -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\System\phm3026c.bin -flop1 c:\ti99\disks\pacman.dsk

OX.

Edited by OX.

OX,

Thanks for the info. I'll dig through the script and see if there's anything I'm missing. Based on your examples at the end:

.For a game cart in .rpk format -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\carts\pacman.rpk

.For a game cart in seperate .bin files (each bin file in the set needs reading in as a seperate cart entry)

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\carts\pacman\pacD.bin -cart2 c:\ti99\carts\pacman\pacG.bin

.For a disk running E/A assembler game -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\System\phm3055g.bin -flop1 c:\ti99\disks\pacman.dsk

.For a disk running Extended Basic game -

Mess.exe ti99_4a -nat -joy -window -skip_gameinfo -nowaitvsync -newui -cart1 c:\ti99\System\phm3026c.bin -flop1 c:\ti99\disks\pacman.dsk

This is essentially what I'm doing, minus a few switches. Specifically, I tried a couple of disks (with Zork being one of those) like this:

mess ti99_4a -window -cart1 /opt/mess/carts/xb.rpk -flop1 /opt/mess/disks/zork1.dsk

This would take me to the XB cartridge, but no Zork in sight. Also, trying to switch the cart to disk manager 3 and catalog the disk failed due to no disk.

jaquesg - Be not afraid of the command line. It is your friend. 8^)

It's much easier to use the MESSUI.EXE file that is packaged with MESS.EXE. Once you've got the emulation running, you can use the drop-down menus to change disks, load carts, or most anything else you want to configure at that point. I tried using MESS with all the command line switches, but it is _WAY_ more trouble than it is worth. My desktop shortcut to start TI emulation in MESS consists of this - "MESS TI99_4ev", and for the Geneve it's "MESS GENEVE -speed 0.96". Pick what you want from the drop down menus after the emulation is running.

Tony

Is there such a GUI in LINUX?

It's much easier to use the MESSUI.EXE file that is packaged with MESS.EXE. Once you've got the emulation running, you can use the drop-down menus to change disks, load carts, or most anything else you want to configure at that point. I tried using MESS with all the command line switches, but it is _WAY_ more trouble than it is worth. My desktop shortcut to start TI emulation in MESS consists of this - "MESS TI99_4ev", and for the Geneve it's "MESS GENEVE -speed 0.96". Pick what you want from the drop down menus after the emulation is running.

Tony

Is there such a GUI in LINUX?

QMC2 works well in Linux and Windows.

I worked with QMC2 a bit last night, but I didn't seem to get very far. I couldn't find where to set the directories for disks/carts. I'll play with it a bit more.

What I find this morning is this - first, the standard console output shows this:

timess -cart1 /opt/MESS/rpks/disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 /opt/MESS/mess_disks/zork1.dsk

OPTIONAL pcode_r0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_r1.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_g0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL rs232.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL hfdc.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL bwg.bin NOT FOUND

WARNING: the system might not run correctly.

I don't know what hfdc.bin and bwg.bin are. Are they necessary for disk performance?

Also, when I go into Disk Manager 3, after the splash screen it gives me an error:

DISK ERROR 00

DEVICE NOT FOUND ACTIVE

So, it isn't the disks that are the problem, it is the emulation of the drive. I tried to replace the disk.bin file with a newly downloaded one, but that didn't help. Is one of the two missing files necessary? Any other troubleshooting advice?? I'm using MESS 0.142, by the way.

-Kirk

EDIT: I just downloaded a Windows version of MESS 0.142, installed it, set up ROMs, disks and carts and tried the same thing once more, same problem. Using this command line:

C:\MESS>mess.exe ti99_4a -window -cart1 Carts_rpk\disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 Disks\ancient1.dsk

I get the same error from Disk Manager, saying DEVICE NOT FOUND ACTIVE. What am I missing???

EDIT2: I'm missing hfdc.bin, the Myarch Disk Controller. Interesting. The BIOS ROM set I was using seems to work just fine with Win994a, but with MESS I need to include hfdc.bin, which seems perfectly logical. I can only conclude that Win994a manages its own disc controller while MESS uses a purely emulated method. I've got this working now on the Windows version, and tonight I'll give the LINUX version a shot.

While were here, I see in this new ROM set I have rs232.bin and 994agr38.bin. rs232.bin is obvious, but I can't imagine how or why I would use it. What is 994agr38.bin?

Edited by KirkDCO

I worked with QMC2 a bit last night, but I didn't seem to get very far. I couldn't find where to set the directories for disks/carts. I'll play with it a bit more.

What I find this morning is this - first, the standard console output shows this:

timess -cart1 /opt/MESS/rpks/disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 /opt/MESS/mess_disks/zork1.dsk

OPTIONAL pcode_r0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_r1.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL pcode_g0.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL rs232.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL hfdc.bin NOT FOUND

OPTIONAL bwg.bin NOT FOUND

WARNING: the system might not run correctly.

I don't know what hfdc.bin and bwg.bin are. Are they necessary for disk performance?

Also, when I go into Disk Manager 3, after the splash screen it gives me an error:

DISK ERROR 00

DEVICE NOT FOUND ACTIVE

So, it isn't the disks that are the problem, it is the emulation of the drive. I tried to replace the disk.bin file with a newly downloaded one, but that didn't help. Is one of the two missing files necessary? Any other troubleshooting advice?? I'm using MESS 0.142, by the way.

-Kirk

EDIT: I just downloaded a Windows version of MESS 0.142, installed it, set up ROMs, disks and carts and tried the same thing once more, same problem. Using this command line:

C:\MESS>mess.exe ti99_4a -window -cart1 Carts_rpk\disk_manager_3.rpk -flop1 Disks\ancient1.dsk

I get the same error from Disk Manager, saying DEVICE NOT FOUND ACTIVE. What am I missing???

EDIT2: I'm missing hfdc.bin, the Myarch Disk Controller. Interesting. The BIOS ROM set I was using seems to work just fine with Win994a, but with MESS I need to include hfdc.bin, which seems perfectly logical. I can only conclude that Win994a manages its own disc controller while MESS uses a purely emulated method. I've got this working now on the Windows version, and tonight I'll give the LINUX version a shot.

While were here, I see in this new ROM set I have rs232.bin and 994agr38.bin. rs232.bin is obvious, but I can't imagine how or why I would use it. What is 994agr38.bin?

Hi KirkDCO,

The OPTIONALS are just optional system devices, not needed.

I found that using MESS after a certain version (> .130b) with certain disk manager was incompatible and failed to startup, so I eventually got it working by loading Extended Basic cart No. PHM3026. I've added it here for you to try, you'll need to load each .bin as seperate cart in MESS, eg: cart1 = blahC.bin cart2 = blahD.bin etc.

OX.

XB.zip

• 1 year later...

I found and installed messui146u1b.rar (contains mess.exe and messui.exe) at this site. Only problem is that it does not appear to find any disks that are mounted. The last messui.exe I could find before that was 143b, which works. What gives?

...lee

Edited by Lee Stewart

• 3 months later...

I found and installed messui146u1b.rar (contains mess.exe and messui.exe) at this site. Only problem is that it does not appear to find any disks that are mounted. The last messui.exe I could find before that was 143b, which works. What gives?

...lee

I am having the same problem with v147. I am using Windows 7. Anybody know what I might be doing wrong?

...lee

Have to disagree with that. Sure, MESS is not as user-friendly as classic99.

But it still is the most-complete TI-99/4A emulator out there. Having that said I'm a classic99 user though.

Anyway, check out what Michael (TI-99/4A maintainer) wrote on ninerpedia regarding MESSUI

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/Alternative_MESS_front-ends

Bottom line is that you are probably better of giving QMC2 a try.

I'm torn, personally. The *TI* emulation within MESS is probably the best that we have. It is very very close to the real machine. Michael has done a fantastic job. However, the MESS system itself (which Michael is not responsible for) is, well, a mess, quite frankly!

• Like 1

I'm torn, personally. The *TI* emulation within MESS is probably the best that we have. It is very very close to the real machine. Michael has done a fantastic job. However, the MESS system itself (which Michael is not responsible for) is, well, a mess, quite frankly!

That's what I'm getting at; MESS itself.... it's like the new version of MAME, not good.

I liked the TI emulation on MESS but could not mount anything , be it cassettes or discs. I then found the TI99/8 rom and started using it's XB and enjoyed the extra grunt of the emulated 10MHz cpu ... but then found I couldn't mount anything.

OK, I figured it out! It was MESS itself, not MESSUI. MESS used to auto-populate the PEB with the ROMs it found in TI99_4A.ZIP. Now you must do it with the MESS popup menu. I say it is not MESSUI's fault; but, MESSUI actually ought to have a menu that allows you to set the PEB slots. Of course, the problem with not getting to the mounted disks was that the disk controller was missing from its "slot" in the "PEB"! :roll:

...lee

Too bad I didn't read this sooner. I just figured that out, the PEB slot, about a month ago.

However, my problem now is; the stupid keyboard. I cannot get any of the function keys to work so it's completely useless to me. I've tried to get MESS to be "useable" for years and it's just not worth it. Disappointing because I think it covers a lot of hardware emulation better than others.

That and the stupid windowing size is ridiculous, does it not scale right or am I the only one with these issues? I either get miniscule or full screen. Anything in between is out of focus, fuzzy, and un-readable.

My solution - the real thing baby! It works every time.

-D

"Long Live the TI-99/4a!"

• 4 weeks later...

I just updated to 147 and I'm struggling with this too. I have disk games loading fine with 143, but for the life of me can't figure how to configure things to have disks boot automatically on 147.

Since you figured out Lee, could you please explain what settings should I put on each of the PEB slots so that the dsk games automatically start just like on MESS 143 I'd certainly appreciate it very much. I also notice that on MESS 143 we have a lot of extra TI99-4A specific menus on the MESS popup menu which are now gone on 147. Have no idea where that stuff has gone too.

EDIT:

Figured... 5 minutes after posting this found the answer, it's all here:

http://www.ninerpedia.org/index.php/MESS_TI_emulation_usage

I can't get the -peb:slot7 tirs232 option to work though, MESS always complains tirs232 isn't a valid option. But at least disk games will now boot automatically once again.

Edited by ssj