IGNORED

ADAM Maintenence #01

NIAD

Seeing as there are a growing number of new ADAM owners, I thought it'd be a good idea to put out some old information from newsletters past that will help everyone is maintaining and repairing problems that may arise or issues that may be experienced.

The first such article covers adjusting the Digital Data Drive running speed which usually doesn't need to be adjusted, but after all these years, I'm sure this article and included test software will save a few drives from the garbage can.

The article was written by Phil Kosowsky, a former Coleco employee, who operated his own CV & ADAM repair service for years after leaving (or possible being shown the door) Coleco. The article mentions v1.0 and v2.0 of the Speed Test software which I have included as well as two different Data Packs that you will need to be aware of to insure proper useage of the software (a picture is included for reference).

Data Drive Speed Adjustment - N.I.A.D. Newsletter.pdf

post-25956-0-01274000-1307148206_thumb.jpg

Speed Check v1.0 & v2.0 (1984) (Coleco).zip

• Like 1

Here is a GREAT how-to done up by DoubleDown on how to replace the Data Drive Timing Wheel. I have included a picture for reference, the timing wheel is the black rubber wheel to the right of the read/write head and if your's is missing... DO NOT USE THE DRIVE as it can damage the data pack. I have also included a picture and a link to an eBay auction for these timing wheels and an instructional disk sold by Bob S. (his handle on here is ""adamcon").

Replace Digital Data Drive Timing Wheel

by DoubleDown

Originally posted on the Classic Gaming General AtariAge Forum

All right... for any of you who have an ADAM tape drive with the problem listed above, here's your fix. The only part you'll need is some rubber tubing that is 3/8" ID, and 1/2" OD. I used Viton as it will last a little longer than Buna or Latex, but it is definately a little harder than the original (seems to work just fine in mine). Once you have your tubing (I got mine from McMaster Carr, I use them a lot for work) slice a bit off, 11/64" in length. Take apart your tape drive from the back.

:arrow: First the rear case (cord grip, and 4 screws).

:arrow: Then the outer RF shield and printed circuit boards (3-4 screws) and inner RF shield.

:arrow: On the bottom inside of the drive below the motors is a small square cover with 2 screws. Remove the screws, gently lift the cover slightly, and slide out the opto sensor (has 4 wires going into it).

:arrow: With the opto sensor pulled out, take the square cover off. Be cautious as there are 2 real small parts in here. One is a very small bushing (looks like a tiny silver washer), the other is a small axle (looks like a very small pin) that the encoder shaft spins on.

:arrow: Once these are removed, pull the encoder shaft and be careful with the encoder's disc. It is attached to the shaft, but is very thin and fairly delicate.

:arrow: Put 2-4 small drops of super glue onto the hub and slide the rubber tubing onto it so that the rear face is flush with the rear face of the hub.

:arrow: Once the glue is set, trim the front of the rubber if it sticks out farther than the front of the hub, by using a razor blade flat against the hub's face.

:arrow: Once done, re-assemble in the reverse order, minding the wiring routing so none get pinched, and bingo... a working tape drive.

Such a simple fix.

Here is the link to the eBay auction, I highly recommend picking up at least one to have as a spare:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1605951318391?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=160595131839&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

post-25956-0-50436000-1307222829_thumb.jpg

post-25956-0-80353800-1307222835_thumb.jpg

NIAD your Ebay link is for a 72 Pin NES connector, not the item you intended.

Thanks Yurkie for catching that and evg2000 for the right link. Guess I should have double checked it before posting... but I copied the link right from the auction page???

Linking to an NES auction is almost akin to sacriledge around this forum. :roll:

• 3 months later...