IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0

sloopy

With the size of the pre-order thread, and it no longer being a pre-order, i made a new thread... :')

Well I got my new toy today, and did a video of the unpacking, you can see it on my webcam server on source 2... source 1 is the live feed of what i am doing at the moment...

tonight (after about 9:00pm US-EDT, 01:00 GMT ), I will be trying it out, if anyone wants to watch, and for those, who want to see me make a fool of myself... live commentary will be available on irc (or if you have an irc client, server:irc.newnet.net channel:#Atari)...

So far tho, it looks like a nice piece of hardware, and I cant wait to play with it...

sloopy.

With the size of the pre-order thread, and it no longer being a pre-order, i made a new thread... :')

Well I got my new toy today, and did a video of the unpacking, you can see it on my webcam server on source 2... source 1 is the live feed of what i am doing at the moment...

tonight (after about 9:00pm US-EDT, 01:00 GMT ), I will be trying it out, if anyone wants to watch, and for those, who want to see me make a fool of myself... live commentary will be available on irc (or if you have an irc client, server:irc.newnet.net channel:#Atari)...

So far tho, it looks like a nice piece of hardware, and I cant wait to play with it...

sloopy.

Just trying to boost the view count.

Move along...

@a8isa1

heh, a wise cracker eh? :')

@orpheuswaking

nah, you wont be there, so its a perfect time to show up! ;'P

also my domain had an issue and is now fixed...

sloopy.

Sloopy, I hope that webcam doesn't show *everything* you get up to :D

with a wife and 5 kids, using windows XP is about as 'out there' as i get :'D

sloopy.

Since you have your own thread...

I'm curious about your answer to orpheuswaking about the 8-pin header on 800XL. Not saying you're wrong, but the part about "and no cart should be used unless these lines are hooked up..." puzzles me.

Here's where I'm coming from. The MIO was designed to attach to the PBI with the 50-pin cable. The standard (internal) cartridge jack works perfectly with/without the MIO attached. The BlackBox is similar. When used with an 800XL, the BB is connected with a 50-pin cable to the PBI, and the BB cartridge jack is covered so that only the 800XL internal jack can be used.

I realize the this might be "apples and oranges" to the +2 but the PBI still has the same signals and it seems like the XL internal cartridge jack should work the same. (Or so the logic goes.) Can you explain?

Thanks,

Larry

Since you have your own thread...

I'm curious about your answer to orpheuswaking about the 8-pin header on 800XL. Not saying you're wrong, but the part about "and no cart should be used unless these lines are hooked up..." puzzles me.

Here's where I'm coming from. The MIO was designed to attach to the PBI with the 50-pin cable. The standard (internal) cartridge jack works perfectly with/without the MIO attached. The BlackBox is similar. When used with an 800XL, the BB is connected with a 50-pin cable to the PBI, and the BB cartridge jack is covered so that only the 800XL internal jack can be used.

I realize the this might be "apples and oranges" to the +2 but the PBI still has the same signals and it seems like the XL internal cartridge jack should work the same. (Or so the logic goes.) Can you explain?

Thanks,

Larry

when i am done the webcast mentioned in the first post of this thread...

sloopy.

Ok, it is done, it went ok... I got it to work, and actually set it up with SpartaDOS 3.2, real.DOS release 30, and SDX...

it worked very well, and was nice and fast...

DOS writing: 37132.1017 B/sek

DOS reading: 51056.64 B/sek

DOS average: 44094.3708 B/sek

had some issues with getting it to access the HD after I partitioned it, but eventually got that sorted...

@Larry

The issue is, the internal SDX is actually a cartridge, and therefore the machine needs /RD4 and /RD5 to be accurate in letting the machine know there is a 'cart' plugged into the cart slot. Since the XE uses the cartridge slot as part of the ECI bus, they are present, and it can manipulate them as needed. The XL series on the other hand, doesnt have these lines on the PBI (one of the differences between the two), so if you put a real or 'virtual' (as in the IDE+ 2.0) cart on the PBI, the machine doesnt know there is a cart installed, and to turn off internal BASIC. This can put you in a position where internal BASIC and the SDX 'cart' on the IDE+, are both trying to put data on the data bus at the same time...

This is the main reason you dont want to enable the SDX, while those lines are not hooked up... Then after they are hooked up, you wouldnt want to use the internal cart port on the XL, as it will be in contention with the SDX cart again, as the extra circuitry for controlling the cart 'above' the SDX (on a ICD SDX cart) circuit isnt there.

sloopy.

OK, thanks. Just my misunderstanding of what you meant -- cartridge attached to the 2+ including SDX.

-Larry

Ok, it is done, it went ok... I got it to work, and actually set it up with SpartaDOS 3.2, real.DOS release 30, and SDX...

it worked very well, and was nice and fast...

DOS writing: 37132.1017 B/sek

DOS reading: 51056.64 B/sek

DOS average: 44094.3708 B/sek

had some issues with getting it to access the HD after I partitioned it, but eventually got that sorted...

@Larry

The issue is, the internal SDX is actually a cartridge, and therefore the machine needs /RD4 and /RD5 to be accurate in letting the machine know there is a 'cart' plugged into the cart slot. Since the XE uses the cartridge slot as part of the ECI bus, they are present, and it can manipulate them as needed. The XL series on the other hand, doesnt have these lines on the PBI (one of the differences between the two), so if you put a real or 'virtual' (as in the IDE+ 2.0) cart on the PBI, the machine doesnt know there is a cart installed, and to turn off internal BASIC. This can put you in a position where internal BASIC and the SDX 'cart' on the IDE+, are both trying to put data on the data bus at the same time...

This is the main reason you dont want to enable the SDX, while those lines are not hooked up... Then after they are hooked up, you wouldnt want to use the internal cart port on the XL, as it will be in contention with the SDX cart again, as the extra circuitry for controlling the cart 'above' the SDX (on a ICD SDX cart) circuit isnt there.

sloopy.

I also got my IDE Plus 2.0 last week.

After first excitment I could not even connect my "harddisk". I was very surprised that I could not easily plug my Transcend 40-pin IDE Flash Module. Obviously... I missed a detail here :)

post-2336-0-74884200-1307563932_thumb.jpg

post-2336-0-42337200-1307563926_thumb.jpg

So I guess, the difference is the 3.5" vs. 2.5" standard for IDE connectors.

Also confusing to me is the pin/gender. My Transcend Flash is female, while the IDE Plus is also female .. Was the MyIDE-Flash kind of non-standard??

post-2336-0-23967900-1307563916_thumb.jpg

But what now? I could order some other kind of flash/solid state disks or find an adapter-thing for my Transcend module. What kind of adapter would it be?? What other kind of solid state disks would be good? I don't want to use a old mechanical harddisk (noise, energy, size). Are there other flash module like the Transcend which connect to 2,5" ? The 256 MB Transcend was very cheap with around 12 EUR.... too bad it's not easy to connect with the IDE Plus 2.0.

As for adapters, this one is probably not correct I guess?!:

http://www.partsdata.de/IDE-Adapter_2.5_Zoll_-3.5_Zoll_fuer_Notebookfestplatten_C-IDE-530.html

Edited by twh/f2

After first excitment I could not even connect my "harddisk". I was very surprised that I could not easily plug my Transcend 40-pin IDE Flash Module. Obviously... I missed a detail here :)

post-2336-0-74884200-1307563932_thumb.jpg

post-2336-0-42337200-1307563926_thumb.jpg

Also confusing to me is the pin/gender. My Transcend Flash is female, while the IDE Plus is also female .. Was the MyIDE-Flash kind of non-standard??

post-2336-0-23967900-1307563916_thumb.jpg

But what now? I could order some other kind of flash/solid state disks or find an adapter-thing for my Transcend module. What kind of adapter would it be?? What other kind of solid state disks would be good? I don't want to use a old mechanical harddisk (noise, energy, size). Are there other flash module like the Transcend which connect to 2,5" ? The 256 MB Transcend was very cheap with around 12 EUR.... too bad it's not easy to connect with the IDE Plus 2.0.

http://www.partsdata.de/IDE-Adapter_2.5_Zoll_-3.5_Zoll_fuer_Notebookfestplatten_C-IDE-530.html

The reason for the difference is the storage device has pins on it, on a laptop the socket is (usually) in the machine, or has an adaptor to connect what it needs for the mobo...

but in a desktop machine, you have a cable with all female sockets, and it plugs into the mobo and IDE drives, the transcend module is designed so it can plug right in with no need for a cable... so its the transcend module that isnt 'standard' so to speak, but does this for a good reason...

and that is the wrong adaptor, easiest way to find what you need is look for a adaptor that will put the transcend module i an Amiga1200, as it has the same connector as on the IDE+ 2.0... i found several on google, but you may even find something local to you...

sloopy.

3.5" IDE is 40pin, 2.5" IDE is 44pin. A 2.5" laptop drive is a 44 pin female 'mini IDE' , allowing connection to a 44 pin male connector, like on the IDEPlus 2.0.

The Transcend has a standard 40 pin female IDE connector on it, instead of male, so it can plug into an IDE port without using a ribbon cable.

Also, the connector you linked to will not work with the IDEPlus 2.0 as that connector is used to connect a 44pin device (laptop drive) to a standard IDE interface (40pin), not the other way around.

As suggested, get a 44pin IDE to CF Card adapter. It will be the most convenient way to go, and they're cheap!!

post-6701-0-66046300-1307568792_thumb.jpg

As they are saying, the Transcend IDE Flash is "non-standard". It's pretending to be the IDE cable. In a small desktop scenario, that can be an advantage. No cable to clutter things up. Some CF->IDE modules do the same thing.

--Kurt

OK. Got my IDEPlus 2.0. First....AWESOME!!!!!

Set up with an IDE to CF adapter and a 1gb CF card.

I have flashed the new Spartados 4.44 and that works great. Also flashed the 6-6-11 bios. Working great. I have created a 32MB partition, set to D1:, built the directory with SpartaDos format, created a IDEPLUS folder and copied the contents of the KMKDIAG disk from D2: on my SDriveNuxx. Now it's time to create a few more partitions and set them up with various DOS formats and file systems. This thing is great!!

Between this and my SDriveNuxx, I'll never need to use a physical drive again!!

And, as seen in the last picture, I need to brush up on my SpartaDos command set!!! Nothing like blowing up the prompt!!!

post-6701-0-10317900-1307593554_thumb.jpg

post-6701-0-46562200-1307593561_thumb.jpg

post-6701-0-61656300-1307593568_thumb.jpg

I also really like the Transcend (DOM) modules, but alas, short of making your own adapter, I don't think you will find a 40 to 44-pin (male to male) adapter commercially. I have found 40 to 40-pin (male to male) cables, but never the 40-44. "Gender Changers" won't work. To understand why, it really helps to have an regular 40-44 adapter (Female 44 to Male 40) in your hands, along with another 44-pin Female socket. The rows end up reversed (end to end or top to bottom). If I ever run across a proper adapter, I'll send you a PM.

-Larry

I have flashed the new Spartados 4.44 and that works great. Also flashed the 6-6-11 bios. Working great. I have created a 32MB partition, set to D1:, built the directory with SpartaDos format, created a IDEPLUS folder and copied the contents of the KMKDIAG disk from D2: on my SDriveNuxx. Now it's time to create a few more partitions and set them up with various DOS formats and file systems. This thing is great!!

And, as seen in the last picture, I need to brush up on my SpartaDos command set!!! Nothing like blowing up the prompt!!!

Thats the same IDE-CF adaptor i have, seems to work well here... does yours have the solder pads for a second CF socket on the back like mine does?

sloopy.

Can you help a clueless one who wants to accomplish the same thing? I received my IDEPlus 2.0 just the other day. I have a 2.5" HDD attached. ... but I have no idea what to do next. How do I flash it with SDX 4.44? .. and flash the bios? There is guide I missed right? I ran +5v to the PCB.

Frank

Frankie,

the manual can be found here, it uses the kmk/jz manual, and the Utility disk (1st and third download links)

http://drac030.krap.pl/en-kmkjz-pliki.php

basically you need to partition the drive with fdisk2, and then install DOS on it... the manual has step by step, if you have any questions, just ask...

sloopy.

Can you help a clueless one who wants to accomplish the same thing? I received my IDEPlus 2.0 just the other day. I have a 2.5" HDD attached. ... but I have no idea what to do next. How do I flash it with SDX 4.44? .. and flash the bios? There is guide I missed right? I ran +5v to the PCB.

Frank

Download the IDEPlus.zip and makeATR_v0.06.zip below. These have everything you'll need.

Mount the SDX444_ideplus.atr into drive 1 of APE or any of the SDrive type devices (or create a real disk) to flash the new version of SDX to the rom in the IDEPlus. It autoruns on boot.

For flashing the BIOS, copy the LBA0606.COM file to an ATR (I copied it to the KMK_UTIL image I used. Use makeATR to copy to an existing ATR or make a new one). As suggested elsewhere, I changed the name to LBA0.COM. Run the file and it will update the BIOS.

Mount one of the KMK_UTIL disk images in drive 1 for all the rest of the needed utilities.

The KMKJZ-manual.pdf has all the needed instructions for setting up the attached drive and partitioning.

ideplus.zip

makeATR_v0.06.zip

Where can I found out what the jumper pins do?

Frankie,

the manual can be found here, it uses the kmk/jz manual, and the Utility disk (1st and third download links)

http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

basically you need to partition the drive with fdisk2, and then install DOS on it... the manual has step by step, if you have any questions, just ask...

sloopy.

the jumpers are for the 600/800XL's as they dont have certain cart lines on the PBI connector, and this creates issues if you use the SDX on the IDE+ and a cart in either cart slot on the XL or on the IDE+

this is the info for making the ribbon cable for the XL series from MetalGuy66

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/179613-ide-plus-20-preorder-starts-today/page__view__findpost__p__2293600

sloopy.

Where can I found out what the jumper pins do?

Frankie,

http://drac030.krap....kmkjz-pliki.php

sloopy.

Hi *,

thanks for your help. I wonder if that thing would do it with the IDE Plus 2.0:

post-2336-0-44072100-1307997439_thumb.jpg

http://www.delock.de/produkte/gruppen/zubehoer/Delock_Einbausatz_25_IDE_44pin_2x_CF_18171.html?setLanguage=EN

It would be very nice to operate a master and a slave CF card. Copies/backups would become very handy...

any comments?

grtx,

\twh!