IGNORED

[imaginary coleco game] Plimpton's Video Falconry by TomFulp

newcoleco

Plimpton's Video Falconry by TomFulp

Enjoy a sport that has been the pass-time of kings, hunters and warriors for 4000 years!

George Plimpton's Video Falconry was brought to our attention by the Judge John Hodgman podcast. Originally made for the Colecovision in 1983, we've gone to great lengths to painstakingly port one of the few existing copies.

LINK :

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/571422

DESCRIPTION :

The main idea of this game is to make you fly the falcon around the screen to hit targets, some are on the ground level, others are above the ground. You have to do the right action when touching the target on screen. To increase the difficulty, you lose if the falcon goes in circle more than 3 times (3 laps max) or if it goes out of the screen.

MY COMMENTS :

Pressing numbers to manoeuver this bird around and to do actions is the worst design decision I've seen for this kind of Flash game. Anyway, give it a try... it's rare to see a 8-bit looking flash game not based on NES games.

As a ColecoVision game homebrewer, I've spotted some issues including strange pixel-shapes, sound rendering not Coleco compatible, no flickering sprites, and the usage of only numbers instead of the joystick and buttons. Beside that, if it was an actual ColecoVision sport videogame made in 1983, considering the "chiptune" music and the huge quantity of graphics, it will have been one of these few 32K cartridges... and only appreciate for its music rather than its gameplay.

OTHER :

It's not the first Flash sport game I've seen using the ColecoVision title screen.

That Super Car game is such a surreal concept. Looks like a great game though with lots of variety - very much looking forward to the CollectorVision release.

It is a surreal concept ;)

When I first saw it (last year) I was really amazed by how it really look like a real colecovision game. Sure there were elements that would not be have been possible to reproduce on a real cv system, but Keith help me to get the graphics works well on a real system

He also did create an exclusive new level for the cv version! and also the box art! :)

This is one of the coolest games I've seen in a long time!!!

Joe B.

Plimpton's Video Falconry by TomFulp

Enjoy a sport that has been the pass-time of kings, hunters and warriors for 4000 years!

George Plimpton's Video Falconry was brought to our attention by the Judge John Hodgman podcast. Originally made for the Colecovision in 1983, we've gone to great lengths to painstakingly port one of the few existing copies.

LINK :

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/571422

DESCRIPTION :

The main idea of this game is to make you fly the falcon around the screen to hit targets, some are on the ground level, others are above the ground. You have to do the right action when touching the target on screen. To increase the difficulty, you lose if the falcon goes in circle more than 3 times (3 laps max) or if it goes out of the screen.

MY COMMENTS :

Pressing numbers to manoeuver this bird around and to do actions is the worst design decision I've seen for this kind of Flash game. Anyway, give it a try... it's rare to see a 8-bit looking flash game not based on NES games.

As a ColecoVision game homebrewer, I've spotted some issues including strange pixel-shapes, sound rendering not Coleco compatible, no flickering sprites, and the usage of only numbers instead of the joystick and buttons. Beside that, if it was an actual ColecoVision sport videogame made in 1983, considering the "chiptune" music and the huge quantity of graphics, it will have been one of these few 32K cartridges... and only appreciate for its music rather than its gameplay.

OTHER :

It's not the first Flash sport game I've seen using the ColecoVision title screen.

GREAT graphics

but what about playability/gameplay ? it seems too easy. too simple.

Yes, the PC version of the game is a piece of cake to beat. For example, the graveyard level (level 1) always repeat the same pattern. It should be easy to do different pattern depend on the difficulty level or the stage (the scrolling is the real difficulty of this game :D). Same for the submarine level, it's too easy, but it's "easy" to add another sort of ennemy and why not a big boss ... etc etc ...

The basic idea of the game is cool and i think it can do a fun game with some modification in the gameplay.

But sorry, that not the goal of this topic ...