IGNORED

Turbo-Dos setup.bat

Can't find my Turbo-Dos 2.1 manual so I'll try here...

How can I autorun a BASIC file from SETUP.BAT when I use BON (BASIC ON)?

In setup.bat I have:

DUP.SYS

MEM.SAV

BON

CAR RUN"D:file.bas"

This doesn't seem to work. Batch execution hangs at the BON command (shows "Drive 1 ERROR). A reset jumps to DUP.

When booting Turbo-Dos with OPTION (basic disabled) and typing BON and CAR RUN"D:file.bas" in DUP it works without problems and I thought doing the same from a batch file would work too but it doesn't.

Well,

alas, the batchfile enhancement of Turbo DOS (usually Autorun.SYS on the disk, named AUTOCOPY in the manual, it also loads the Ramdisk handler) is limited to some statements, it does not provide all the DUP statements, like TYPe, or HEA or BON/BOF. And err, some statements in the bfe differ from the statements in DUP.SYS (like the Basic on/off statement). Here is what you need (the statements have to be in inverse video):

- BASIC: switch Basic on, continue batch procedure... (this is what you need instead of BON!)

- EXEC: here you can type in a Basic line which gets executed immediately; this might be the only statement you need in your case, since it switches Basic on and executes the following Basic line e.g.:

EXEC: [next line]

RUN"D:Game.BAS"

So, while "Basic" only switches Basic on, Exec will switch Basic on and execute a Basic line/command. I wrote this down from the TD manual, because I do not use the TD batchfile enhancement very often (except to copy DUP.SYS to the ramdisk, which I use almost always), so everytime I want to do batchfile processing, I have to take a look into the TD manual again. (Especially, since not all DUP statements are available in the bfe, some statements in the bfe differ from the DUP statements and last not least, if you want to use the missing DUP statements, you have to call for a DUP-Batch first and execute another batchfile... not to miss, that batch-statements in the bfe/setup.bat have to be in inverse video and batch-statements in the DUP-Batch/*.EXE must not be in inverse video - so in other words the batchfile processing of Turbo DOS is rather confusing even with a manual...)

-Andreas Koch.

so in other words the batchfile processing of Turbo DOS is rather confusing even with a manual...)

The batch file feature is a very nice thing for a DOS 2.x replacement/compatible DOS. It's actually pretty powerful but indeed tricky to set up as it uses an unconventional way of doing things. I only use it if Sparta-Dos won't do and I also have to look at the manual each time I want to set up a batch file.

Thanks for the info. I totally forgot about the EXEC command. Would be nice if someone puts the manual online as it seems it's not available yet and I can't do it myself as I can't find mine anymore :-)

Re: BON / CAR RUN "D:"

...I used to have a 1970s Volvo that I would say this to all the time, ha, "Good Car. RUN! RUN, Good Car : D". Sometimes it didn't, then I would invoke the EFIN POS! command, and try again with renewed enthusiasm... ha.

I use that command a lot myself. :cool:

• 7 years later...

Yes. In case you are speaking of Turbo-DOS XL/XE by Reitershan... (there is also a patched version of DOS II+D named TurboDOS, patched to work with turbo tape)...

Regarding TurboDOS XL/XE you can use a 64k machine and it works fine or alternatively you use a machine with XRAM and a) only XL-Ramdisk (RAM under OS) or b) no ramdisk at all (rename the Autorun.SYS batchfile driver to something else) or c) if >128k, use other banks than XE banks...

Alas, the batchfile driver seems only to work correct with some kind of ramdisk (XL-ramdisk or XE-ramdisk), so when you want to avoid Turbo-DOS using a ramdisk, then you also cannot use the batchfile driver... and then you must start batchfiles files manually from DUP.SYS or simply not use them at all...

You can also setup the batchfile driver in such a way, that a ramdisk gets formatted, but nothing (no MEM.SAV, no DUP.SYS) gets copied to it or setup e.g. 320k RAM in such a way, the ramdisk is available but 130XE banks (E0) are not used (use the Config/Setup program for this and type in e.g. 20 60 A0 for Compyshop or 80 A0 C0 for Rambo to avoid using the XE banks E0). Or you use an alternative ramdisk driver that just formats or sets-up the RD, but nothing else...

Last not least, you can write just DOS.SYS or DOS.SYS+DUP.SYS onto a diskette, so the DOS works fine, but does not see a ramdisk at all...

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Hello, there, dear Andreas!

You are very responsive Man!

Simply You are The MAN!

Many thanks!

I'm working now with CLSN Pascal.

It's unbelievably interesting because of rare ability to work natively with all XE memory.

While Compile Time it sits partially in XMS but while Runtime it is out - and almost all XE XMS is Heap :).

My problem is that I can not find A WAY to access screen memory in Pascal.

It just locks all my attempts on compiling stage and I can not use ML Inline routines...

Yes! It's just Pascal strong typing of course.

But I'm still lost.

Best wishes from Snowy Moscow.

Warmest wishes from Cold Russia.

zen (it's just my initials - no more :) )

P.S.

Sorry,Sorry,Sorry...

Is it possible to change screen color permanently? (I think it is but how to?)

Edited by 576XE
  • Like 1

In DOS / DUP type:

>2205 [Return]

the computer will respond with 8 values, change the first one into 70 or 80, which should give you a nice blue colour. Of course you can also choose other colours. When done, write DOS+DUP to diskette so this is saved permanently. But it is only saved to DOS+DUP, all other TurboDOS utilities will still have that strange violet colour...