IGNORED

Converting an 520ST or 1040ST keyboard for use with Mega ST

Has anyone ever done this before?

Mega ST keyboards are "rare", but 520 & 1040ST's are plentiful.

I recall trying this about 4 or 5 years ago with an RJ12 connector and placing wires where they were supposed to go, but when I booted the Mega it began rapidly beeping. I think I disconnected one of the wires to stop the beeping, but I don't recall if I got it to type.

I also recall reading something on the internet about a pull-up resistor (?) being present on the Mega ST keyboard but not on a 520ST/1040ST.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally dug out the storage tub that has my Atari ST parts in it and I found a board labeled "C100063 Rev 3".

See the attachment... it has an RJ-12 connector, an ST internal keyboard connector, and 2 joystick ports.

I hooked up a spare 520ST internal keyboard, an ST mouse and an RJ-12 cable to the Mega and it works.

I don't remember where I got it or even that I had it!

Could this be from an external Mega/TT keyboard... anyone know?

post-29825-0-73299600-1310761262_thumb.jpg

post-29825-0-15434700-1310761277_thumb.jpg

I finally dug out the storage tub that has my Atari ST parts in it and I found a board labeled "C100063 Rev 3".

See the attachment... it has an RJ-12 connector, an ST internal keyboard connector, and 2 joystick ports.

I hooked up a spare 520ST internal keyboard, an ST mouse and an RJ-12 cable to the Mega and it works.

I don't remember where I got it or even that I had it!

Looks like it.

Yes, the joystick ports and RJ-12 connector on your PCB are at the same position as on my Mega ST keyboard.

The Mega STE keyboard has the joystick ports at the sides of the keyboard and not in the middle as the Mega ST keyboard. Atari TT seems to use the same keyboard as a Mega STE.

Robert

• 10 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Parts came in and it is working. See other post. Every now and then it does sound like a key is stuck and starts rapid key stroke sounds. I hit reset and it normally clears it and it works fine with Mega ST.

PXL_20211029_024918401.jpg

PXL_20211029_025657224.jpg

Edited by delvis

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...