IGNORED

Joust by Atarisoft

OX.

And so far, no one's shown up with a prototype... it's not an impossible scenario. When Atari was liquidated in '83, Trammiel was stupid enough to sell the entire Atari engineering archives in a locked filing cabinet off at an auction. Fortunately for him, the buyer wasn't a malicious sort and didn't blackmail him and his company over the embarrassment. (Source: Chris Crawford's On Game Design)

So it's possible for a Joust prototype to have slipped the net... but if the cartridges were never made, the only way we'd have it is ROM code on some ancient floppy disk.

Adamantyr

• Like 1

And so far, no one's shown up with a prototype... it's not an impossible scenario. When Atari was liquidated in '83, Trammiel was stupid enough to sell the entire Atari engineering archives in a locked filing cabinet off at an auction. Fortunately for him, the buyer wasn't a malicious sort and didn't blackmail him and his company over the embarrassment. (Source: Chris Crawford's On Game Design)

So it's possible for a Joust prototype to have slipped the net... but if the cartridges were never made, the only way we'd have it is ROM code on some ancient floppy disk.

Adamantyr

Given that it was an Atarisoft title, it probably wasn't with all the stuff that got liquidated from the main Atari HQ. If a copy exists it's probably either with the programmer or the archives of whatever company had been contracted out to do it. There weren't that many Ti-99 Atarisoft programmers, so finding the person responsible for Joust might not be too hard.

Tempest

Speaking of "mentioned but no evidence of it", who has Choplifter! for the TI? I've seen numerous books & other lists reference it existing, but yet to actually see it.

It was never released. I think there's a post/article somewhere with the author talking about writing the code for it.

Mobygames has screenshots of both the Colecovision and MSX versions of the game, which are substantially different from each other, suggesting they were developed independently. (The Colecovision version looks WAY better.)

Adamantyr

• 4 weeks later...

Was this actually ever released (or made but unreleased) and does anyone have a cart rom image?

OX.

I do have a copy of "Sort" of Joust, it isn't in any way as detailed as the Atari version but it is a TI program, you more or less just fly around and try to bump other players off their birds, at least I think that is all it does as I do not have any instructions for the game. if there are any special key presses I ahve no found them yet.

Bob K.

Was this actually ever released (or made but unreleased) and does anyone have a cart rom image?

OX.

I do have a copy of "Sort" of Joust, it isn't in any way as detailed as the Atari version but it is a TI program, you more or less just fly around and try to bump other players off their birds, at least I think that is all it does as I do not have any instructions for the game. if there are any special key presses I ahve no found them yet.

Bob K.

But that's an XB implementation and not some 9900 prototype, right ?

OX.

Bob K.

Can you post it on here so we can try it?

I had a XB loaded Assembly version written for XB of Joust. But when I lost my SCSI drive that was among the things I lost. It worked ok and looked pretty good, but only worked with Joysticks, no keyboard keys worked to steer.

Do not remember who gave me a copy.

I had a XB loaded Assembly version written for XB of Joust. But when I lost my SCSI drive that was among the things I lost. It worked ok and looked pretty good, but only worked with Joysticks, no keyboard keys worked to steer.

So it does exist in some form then.

Someone must still have it ;-)

So it does exist in some form then.

Someone must still have it ;-)

Not sure Quiton Tormemen was a 17 year old kid and wrote copies of many arcade games but could not sell them as they were not authorized copies.

I think I got it from him, he only sold what they could license legally, like Boxsteine and Warzone III and Living Tomb as they were original enough not to copy-write games.

Most incredible Assembly programmer I ever saw, could do 16 bit binary on the fly in his head and bit shifts just as fast. You ask what is SLA R7,3 if R7=>CDE2 in Binary and he would spit out the answer.

(His parents were insanely religious so you would hear how some people he could not deal with only because of religion. We never heard from him again after he graduated High School.)

Edited by RXB

Not sure Quiton Tormemen was a 17 year old kid and wrote copies of many arcade games but could not sell them as they were not authorized copies.

I think I got it from him, he only sold what they could license legally, like Boxsteine and Warzone III and Living Tomb as they were original enough not to copy-write games.

Most incredible Assembly programmer I ever saw, could do 16 bit binary on the fly in his head and bit shifts just as fast. You ask what is SLA R7,3 if R7=>CDE2 in Binary and he would spit out the answer.

(His parents were insanely religious so you would hear how some people he could not deal with only because of religion. We never heard from him again after he graduated High School.)

i contacted Quinton some weeks ago for ask permission to publish their games on my site.(and gave it to me :D),

he asked me to send him his games in email for see them on a pc amulator, so i suggested classic99 for see all game... ;D

i invited him to visit our atariage community, but at moment i have not seen still... :(

may be him is real busy with his work, but i think i will contact him again now ;)

i contacted Quinton some weeks ago for ask permission to publish their games on my site.(and gave it to me :D),

he asked me to send him his games in email for see them on a pc amulator, so i suggested classic99 for see all game... ;D

i invited him to visit our atariage community, but at moment i have not seen still... :(

may be him is real busy with his work, but i think i will contact him again now ;)

LOL I have a copy on my TI of a version of his personal Boxstiene he said was different then the one released. Here is a copy of most of the stuff that he gave me.

MyZipFile.zip

Nice one Ciro, see if you can get this Joust style game from him. ;)

• 2 years later...

I know this is over two years old, but I was going through a UNISOURCE ELECTRONICS catalog from 1984 and it listed the following Atarisoft titles:

• Donkey Kong
  • Protector II
  • Picnic Paranoia
  • Pac-Man
  • Centipede
  • Defender
  • Moon Patrol
  • Jungle Hunt
  • Stargate
  • Robotron: 2084
  • Shamus
  • Ms. Pac-Man
  • Pole Position
  • Joust

A lot of these titles were showing "N/A" in the 1985 price list. I do not have a 1984 price list to look at to see if they were actually available.

Speaking of "mentioned but no evidence of it", who has Choplifter! for the TI? I've seen numerous books & other lists reference it existing, but yet to actually see it.

It was never released. I think there's a post/article somewhere with the author talking about writing the code for it.

The TI99 port of Choplifter! was being developed by Cash Foley at MGI. The game was never completed, and no traces of it remain (at least not with him).

• Like 1

HEN PECKED for TI99 is a little bit similar to Joust.

I've had this ever since it was released and used to play it all the time. Bug ridden and glitchy as hell, but better than nothing when you need your Joust-like fix! :lol:

Interested in seeing what the XB version mentioned above looks like, if it's ever found.

Edited by save2600

I've had this ever since it was released and used to play it all the time. Bug ridden and glitchy as hell, but better than nothing when you need your Joust-like fix! :lol:

Interested in seeing what the XB version mentioned above looks like, if it's ever found.

Yeah. I enjoy playing it and it looks really nice, but it is glitchy, for sure.

I have a list of games in my head I would like to see come to fruition one way or another. "Joust" and "Choplifter" are definitely on that list.