IGNORED

most comfortable/ best controller

I understand why the SP is not the 'comfiest', however, if you compare the size of the DS to the SP, the Sp is a lot more portable. Although it does make your hand cramp up after a while.

I always thought the SP was the least comfortable of the GBA line, with the original being first. SP's controls were designed to be flat over useful.

Though IMO Gameboy Micro had a good compromise between portability and ergonomics. It has large controls that aren't set in annoying recesses, and a decently thick metal body to hold on to. Feels much sturdier and more useful than something that size should. Its size does hurt it a bit though. The 'shortness' of the system may leave some wondering where their extra fingers should go, and the shoulder buttons require an adjustment period.

Edited by Reaperman

I dunno about the best controller (Dreamcast maybe?), but the most comfortable for me would definitely be the Jaguar's. I have hands the size of palm trees & they tend to cramp up on other systems' controllers after a few hours of gaming; not so with the Jaguar controller.

Most controllers I've used have been comfortable and overall good. This even includes the N64, GameCube and Dreamcast controllers. Though I gotta say, the Dreamcast's control stick is terrible for actually being able to rotate. That makes precise control harder to attain.

Oh yeah, since this is a controller thread and the N64 was mentioned, allow me to leave this here...

Lubricate your N64 control sticks before they break down! Lubes with silicon bases work good.

There's no fix for already worn sticks, but you can buy replacements. If you do, lubricate that replacement stick and you will be a happy fan of the N64. Don't be afraid to re-lube every now and then, much like how you'd clean your cartridges when they get dusty.

Oh yeah, buy an S-Video cable (not a S-Video / Composite combo cable! Avoid them!) for your N64 and your games will be much less blurry.

Edited by Koopa64

I find myself getting comfortable with nearly every controller out there, even that tiny NES rectangle and the 7800 Pro-Line. The most comfortable I've used are the Genesis 3-button. The Saturn controller's nice too but there's just something about the Genesis pad's size that feels more right with me. Least comfortable so far were the big XBox controller with face buttons that hurt my thumbs after some use, and the GameCube controller when playing Sin and Punishment on the Wii or Megaman Zero 2 on Gameboy Player.

Of all I own I'd say the 360 controller wins hands down for over all comfort. For older consoles some personal fav controller are, TurboGrafx-16, Virtual Boy and N64(so long as I ignore the odd 3rd hand hold lol). As for hanghelds I really like the Lynx II's ergonomics, very solid feel in your hands, I'd also rank the original GBA as hands down the most comfortable incarnation of the GameBoy ever.

Most comfotable, IDK. But maybe wii remote and nunchuck I hjave the grips attachment. I'll take photos later. Cube is ok but I don't know about most comfortable. N64 is ok also. NES dogbone and Super Nintendo stocks are good also. The regular nes and atari 5200 give me hand cramps. My usb logitech and grey gravis are good also. XBOX 360 and dreamcast are a little too big to be comfortable.

There's no fix for already worn sticks, but you can buy replacements. If you do, lubricate that replacement stick and you will be a happy fan of the N64. Don't be afraid to re-lube every now and then, much like how you'd clean your cartridges when they get dusty.

If you replace the stick, be aware that many of the replacement sticks are not identical to the N64 stick. They are drop in replacements, but the mechanism inside is more like the Gamecube stick. You should not have to lubricate these.

Also, I second the recommendation for silicon based lube. Petroleum based lubricant can warp or crack plastic over time.

The later Saturn controllers, easily. Just the right size and ridiculously responsive... you couldn't get better gameplay if you hooked your brain directly to the system.

I'll give the Dual Shock some props for being a good controller for polygonal games. Then again, I don't really LIKE most of those games so it's faint praise. Two analog sticks is a very good idea (one for movement, the other for camera) and practically every controller since has used that set-up.

hmmm this is a hard one for me. Growing up in the 70's I used a lot of the earlier joystick style sticks, so when the NES pad came out I would say that was the biggest jump in comfort for me. Which is funny because now that might seem pretty insane with all its pointy edges hah. But I do remember being shocked at how nice that bad boy was when it came out.

If you replace the stick, be aware that many of the replacement sticks are not identical to the N64 stick. They are drop in replacements, but the mechanism inside is more like the Gamecube stick. You should not have to lubricate these.

Also, I second the recommendation for silicon based lube. Petroleum based lubricant can warp or crack plastic over time.

Huh, I did not know this. Haven't bought one of those replacements yet (been meaning to). I thought they were direct copies of the original stick. So they are a bit better? Are the inner workings metal (or just the stick) or is it all plastic still? If plastic, then it sure as hell can wear away, just like the original... Though if the plastic offers no friction (ultra smooth finish), that might help.

Huh, I did not know this. Haven't bought one of those replacements yet (been meaning to). I thought they were direct copies of the original stick. So they are a bit better? Are the inner workings metal (or just the stick) or is it all plastic still? If plastic, then it sure as hell can wear away, just like the original... Though if the plastic offers no friction (ultra smooth finish), that might help.

I replaced my N64 joystick with one of these the other day, very easy. They have a ball instead of a stick, so it won't clash against the sides like the stock ones do. It is a little shorter though (at least the one I got) so it can take some getting used to, but I highly recommend them over all. I'll try and get some pictures up later if I can find my camera...

But to the topic, I find Jaguar controllers the most comfortable to hold, but the mushy buttons and D-Pad keep them from the top of my list. I'm very fond of the N64 and Gamecube controllers, and also enjoy Dualshock and XB360 controllers. The six-button Genesis pad is also one of my favorites, and I find it much more comfortable than the old three-button ones.