IGNORED

Real SNES vs Wii Virtual Console

Nothing beat the original hardware.

Having said that, I will say it depends on how truly serious you are about collecting for the system. SNES stuff is still fairly easy to come by (some games more so than others). Plus, on the Wii, the games are emulated without very much filtering, leaving you with a very pixelated image (not that there's a thing in the world wrong with that). Using actual hardware, however, may obscure some of that, but that applies only to older CRT televisions. If you have all modern flatscreen HDTVs in the house, you won't be gaining those benefits that an actual console will net you.

That being said, yes, the Wii Virtual Console is cheaper and, if it has all (or most of) the games you want and you have no desire to collect the original hardware, go that route. If you have any interest at all in collecting for the system, drop the extra cash and go for it. And if you have an old CRT kicking about, most especially go for it. The classic experience is priceless.

Plus, on the Wii, the games are emulated without very much filtering, leaving you with a very pixelated image

Is that because filtering would use too much CPU overhead on the Wii? Not the most powerful console.

Actually it appears to be purely a design choice. Emulators running through hacked means can handle the filtering and all the trimmings just fine and they look great that way. Blows the mind as to why Nintendo decided to skimp on these features.

Actually it appears to be purely a design choice. Emulators running through hacked means can handle the filtering and all the trimmings just fine and they look great that way. Blows the mind as to why Nintendo decided to skimp on these features.

I think Nintendo was going for the truest look possible.

I actually like the way SNES games look on VC. I use component cables and the games look very clean. I don't think it would have hurt for Ninento to at least have the option to do filtering on the VC games, but I personally hate it.

That being said, go buy a SNES. You won't regret it. I know I personally wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I didn't own a Genesis, a SNES, and a TG-16. Absolutely the best generation of gaming period.

I think Nintendo was going for the truest look possible.

+1!

A lot of people, myself included, hate using filters.

• 1 year later...

I know this post is old but since SNES is one of my fav. systems I wanted to add a reply.

Personally I prefer the real SNES + SD2SNES Flash Cart (http://shop.retrogate.com/SD2SNES-SD2SNES.htm) but not the cheapest way to go but beats buying all the original carts unless you are a die-hard collector. Though I actually don't play many games this way - I got it more for Dev. and ROM hacking.

The Wii homebrew can run a port of SNES9x which is pretty good (http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Snes9x_GX) and in some ways better then the real SNES. Obviously you can do 480p on a Wii and 1080P on a Wii-U, SNES can be modded but the best you can get is 480p or RGB.

The Wii classic controller is OK, but the wire is in an awkward place, it should have be wireless but wasn't. You can also pick up the SNES controller adapter from RetroUSB.

To me the Wii's emulation is 99%+ not much of a difference to complain about and in some aspects better. Not sure that retro systems are for non-collectors and even the best way to go these days since Audio/Video equipment keep changing.

Edited by Eddie