IGNORED

Rainy Day Game: Pipe Dream

rocky007

I got at least one day free today to work a little on my new project : Pipe Dream

I'm very sad : i had to cancel the first version, due to lack of memory in XB. It was 80% finished when i discovered that even with code optimisation, 1000kb was missing. I liked this 1st version, because it was very fast.

Cursor in 1st version is 2x2 CHAR only VS 3x3 in the 2nd version ( especially counting the background operations ).

It's so pitty that i couldn't use a simple sprite ( this game will be compiled ).... i definitively dream to start Turbo forth.

So, i started a new version today, and finally, i think this one is better.

The approach in coding is also totally different : water in 1st version is precalculated, in 2nd, in realtime. In both case, it's was a lot more difficult than i expected.

Here it is a little preview :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElPzrmxpqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAj4YELunI

Edited by rocky007
  • Like 1

Very nice. I like V1 pipe and water graphics better - sorry. :)

I agree also.. but it's definitively impossible to finish V1, or without the "cross" tube. To add all precalculated "cross tube", i need 5400 bytes, and i have only 4200 bytes left.. I also need more memory to complete the game ( score, games mode, title screen, etc...), also, i have only 4 chars left, so i can't even show the Score. So it's definitevely impossible.

graphics in V2 will be improved a little, it's really first beta.

I know this game but never played it yet. Looks really promising!

Best wishes for your progress!

Btw: The Gameboy version has a size of 24KByte.

kl99

for sure using assembler & bitmap, it could use 5 ko, but unfortunally iu never studied assembler :(

in V1, i had to precalculate all pipe, with all level of water, in all ways possible ! ( 19 tubes X 9 waters postions, on 4 chars = 684 chars ! )

kl99

for sure using assembler & bitmap, it could use 5 ko, but unfortunally iu never studied assembler :(

in V1, i had to precalculate all pipe, with all level of water, in all ways possible ! ( 19 tubes X 9 waters postions, on 4 chars = 684 chars ! )

oh, i never studied tms9900 assembler as well (just 68k assembler).

i guess you are currently using Extended Basic?

can't the water be animated as sprites on top of the background-pipes?

at least as long as it's not completely filling up one pipe char?

afterwards you could replace the not filled version of the pipe char with a filled version of it and get rid of the sprite.

kl99

I got at least one day free today to work a little on my new project : Pipe Dream

I'm very sad : i had to cancel the first version, due to lack of memory in XB. It was 80% finished when i discovered that even with code optimisation, 1000kb was missing. I liked this 1st version, because it was very fast.

Cursor in 1st version is 2x2 CHAR only VS 3x3 in the 2nd version ( especially counting the background operations ).

It's so pitty that i couldn't use a simple sprite ( this game will be compiled ).... i definitively dream to start Turbo forth.

So, i started a new version today, and finally, i think this one is better.

The approach in coding is also totally different : water in 1st version is precalculated, in 2nd, in realtime. In both case, it's was a lot more difficult than i expected.

Here it is a little preview :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ElPzrmxpqA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjAj4YELunI

Wow! Beautiful! Yes, this would be a lovely project for TurboForth!

kl99

afterwards you could replace the not filled version of the pipe char with a filled version of it and get rid of the sprite.

kl99

yes it's XB, but as i will compile it, i can't use sprite at all :(

anyway, it change nothing for V1 : i need empty + filled pipe for all positions : 4 corners + 2 straights + 4 cross + 4 starting point = 14 x 8 chars = 112 chars. and i don't count 4 for cursor & 4 for animated water

kl99

kl99

yes it's XB, but as i will compile it, i can't use sprite at all :(

anyway, it change nothing for V1 : i need empty + filled pipe for all positions : 4 corners + 2 straights + 4 cross + 4 starting point = 14 x 8 chars = 112 chars. and i don't count 4 for cursor & 4 for animated water

[brag]

In turboforth you get 256 characters, plus another (different) 256 characters for your Sprites!

[/brag]

:)

• 2 months later...

i finally finished it... pfff...

It's not at all what i expected, but i don't have force to restart from zero...

I started to code this game to be compîled with WILLEM compilator.

I used only CALL HCHAR instructions and no sprite. I was really sad, because without sprite cursor, the game isn't really clear to play.

( transparency to see water moving under cursor )

I wanted to try the XB basic compiler, compatible with sprite, so i recoded the game.

Unfortunally, the code is too big to be compiled :( i started a depression...

Hopefully, i discovered the MLC, so i recoded again the main sprite/block routine in MLC.

Unfortunally, the rest of XB program still slowing down too much the game to be played correctly.

But i really don't have force to code ALL the game in MLC. So i release this XB + MLC version, need to be played with CPU override to be played confortably. Sorry me again :ponder:

download here : http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/183836-rainy-day-game-contest-entry-thread-rdgc/

Edited by rocky007

rocky007: ah yes the sound... have to find something to save the ears ;)

it can be played on real TI, but more slowy ( need to start at Expert level )

about the sound i think that you could do a great sound at the end/start of a new pieces instead of every pixel advanced...

so you can use a better quality sound effect since the water arrive in an other piece of tube... ;)

rocky007: ah yes the sound... have to find something to save the ears ;)

it can be played on real TI, but more slowy ( need to start at Expert level )

about the sound i think that you could do a great sound at the end/start of a new pieces instead of every pixel advanced...

so you can use a better quality sound effect since the water arrive in an other piece of tube... ;)

good idea ! i will fix this...