IGNORED

So I CAN restore my lightly scratched scuffed consoles?

I have noticed a few comments in posts here and there, one fellow buffed the aluminum strip on his 7800 shining it up and removing scratches, AtariJoe mentioned buffing a console until it lost texture but came out really smooth.

I love my recent JVC X'eye that I got but it has very light scratches and some scuffs, my Saturn works like a champ but has many scratches. With this in mind what are the best methods for console restoration? Specifically what is the best method to remove light scratches and mild scuffs? To restore shine? I have heard everything from cleaning the case in a dishwasher low temp setting to scrubbing with toothpaste but what are the best methods, polishes, light abrasive cleaners etc. In short, what yeilds the best results to make that lightly scratched / scuffed console casing look almost new?

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Hmm, never heard of doing this. Is it really that practical? You got to be careful with any systems that have silk screened graphics on them as well.

Well,maybe one could go around such graphics/logos or tape them over for such work? I would like to remove scratches/scuffs over the bulk of the consoles though.

Hmm, never heard of doing this. Is it really that practical? You got to be careful with any systems that have silk screened graphics on them as well.

This is my thread he's talking about:

http://www.atariage....job-on-my-7800/

and probably to a lesser extent: http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

You are correct that to some people it might not be practical. But why not try to keep the equipment in the working population, rather than sending it to heap because it looks bad? It would not cost me a great deal of money to get another console. I am using the opportunities to learn new practical skills in various forms, and my consoles are simply the canvas upon which I learn.

Where the 7800 is concerned, I am being very careful to mask the rainbow strip so as to keep it safe.

Sure, things might get better, but there is a really good chance that thing just gets worse off.

Absolutely correct. I didn't know how the H6 would turn out. But it came out nice. I'm still waiting on the outcome of the 7800, but things are looking pretty good so far. It's a matter of willingness and patience, and not fretting about what COULD go wrong. You won't know unless you try.

Edited by SlowCoder
  • Like 1

This is my thread he's talking about:

http://www.atariage....job-on-my-7800/

and probably to a lesser extent: http://www.atariage....__fromsearch__1

You are correct that to some people it might not be practical. But why not try to keep the equipment in the working population, rather than sending it to heap because it looks bad? It would not cost me a great deal of money to get another console. I am using the opportunities to learn new practical skills in various forms, and my consoles are simply the canvas upon which I learn.

Where the 7800 is concerned, I am being very careful to mask the rainbow strip so as to keep it safe.

Sure, things might get better, but there is a really good chance that thing just gets worse off.

Absolutely correct. I didn't know how the H6 would turn out. But it came out nice. I'm still waiting on the outcome of the 7800, but things are looking pretty good so far. It's a matter of willingness and patience, and not fretting about what COULD go wrong. You won't know unless you try.

Oh I have no problem with anyone doing this. I love seeing this kind of stuff done.

• Like 1

yeah not sure I would want to risk it myself. But if you do decide to try stuff, you could take it apart and try it on the inside of the plastic first. Then see if the results are worth taking to the outside.

Or you can just do what I do and say the scratches add character :)

Edited by flynnz
  • Like 2

I've had excellent luck with Novus products. Cleaning and getting rid of light scratches and swirls on everything from vintage stereo gear to computers to consoles to instrument cluster panels. Haven't worn any silkscreening off either, but I'm really careful. What you use to wipe and buff things out with makes all the difference in the world. These so called Microfiber cloths are just about worthless. Either 100% cotton, something like a cloth diaper (yeah, they make the best "rags") or those cloths used to clean LCD screens are all I use anymore.

Using the 3-step Novus process, start at #2 or #3 depending on the severity of the damage and finish with #1. Great stuff!

http://www.delviesplastics.com/waxes_cleaners_novus.htm

• Like 2

I've had excellent luck with Novus products. Cleaning and getting rid of light scratches and swirls on everything from vintage stereo gear to computers to consoles to instrument cluster panels.

This.

The Novus plastic polish and scratch remover products are farking awesome.

• Like 2

The JVX X'Eye scratches so unbelievably easy. I scratched mine with a paper towel as I was cleaning it!

I believe I warned about using paper towels in another thread gone by not too long ago, but someone said "bah, I use 'em all the time and they don't do any damage". Pffft. ;)

And Magic Eraser... I'd be extremely careful using that on anything plastic. Far too easy to permanently ruin something with that big brute. lol

Well I may get some flack here, but I find Armor All works wonders on consoles. It makes the tiny scratches on my X'eye go away completely. Anything non metal shines up real nice. Just make sure to not over do it.

How is that even possible, as AA isn't/doesn't contain any type of polishing compound. It would just make it shiny.

Well I may get some flack here, but I find Armor All works wonders on consoles. It makes the tiny scratches on my X'eye go away completely. Anything non metal shines up real nice. Just make sure to not over do it.

How is that even possible, as AA isn't/doesn't contain any type of polishing compound. It would just make it shiny.

I don't know how it works, but if shiny hides the small scratches then I am good with. Doesn't work for large scratches, and don't overdue it or it gets slimy.

• 6 years later...

I don't know how it works, but if shiny hides the small scratches then I am good with. Doesn't work for large scratches, and don't overdue it or it gets slimy.

armor all is great to make stuff look pretty , but over the long run it will destroy the plastics

it absorbs/removes the natural moisture in the plastics and causes it to crack

windex will also do the same thing

ever seen a car dash that looks like these that's due to armor all (and to a lesser extent the heat generated by the sun and windshield glass drying out the plastic )

I just ordered novus 1,2,3 kit,gona clean my consoles with it.

great stuff we use it here in the shop to restore pinball playfields

post-63035-0-28589600-1523117887.jpg

post-63035-0-55461100-1523117896_thumb.jpg

This.

The Novus plastic polish and scratch remover products are farking awesome.

I just ordered novus 1,2,3 kit,gona clean my consoles with it.

Yep, can't agree more. The # 2 bottle will get the most use, but having all 3 and using as a "system" is a must.

I've used Novus to remove BAD scratches from lenses(uncoated), acrylic used for LED lighted poster frames ( like in the apple stores)

and some really bad scratches on cds.

I'll back up the comment for novus. Ive also been able to repeatedly hand buff out many busted game and movie discs too. Sure its not shiny anymore but it works wonders on restoration in that case, and just for a cleaner nicer surface on other plastics on a pinball machine or elsewhere.

• Like 1