IGNORED

Any Interest in a new SDrive NUXX Run?

c0nsumer

Welp, that's it! The assembled SDrive NUXXs are sold out. There are nine kits left for those interested in a bit of DIY work...

Nooooooooo! I was ready to order an assembled one too...

I am considering buying a kit. The one concern I have is getting the SIO Connector. I have spent a long time searching both Best Electronics and myatari.com and can't find them (best electronic's website is a nightmare to navigate). Any chance you have an extra that I could purchase with a kit? If not, does anyone have a direct link to a page where I can buy SIO connectors?

Many thanks,

-Doug

Doug,

Sorry, I don't. :( I've got a few spares, but they are all broken in one manner or another.

Try giving Best Electronics a call, I know they have some because that's where I got them for the assembled units. Also, you might be able to find someone on here with some dead Atari gear who would be able to help you out...

-Steve

(PS: Not to rush you, but there are five kits left. They are selling at a rate of about one every other day now.)

Sold!

It must be earlier in that part of the State. You'd have to be crazy to be up at this hour... :)

I'd like to see a device like this that can run all four D1-D4 drives at once... no more flipping Alternate Reality or powering up four physical 1050s

:)

SDrives *do* run all four at once. The selection on the front just flips that selected number "into" D1:

Didn't think you could play Alternate Reality on SDrive. Aren't there 5 disks involved?

I thought it was 4, but I guess I don't know for certain. I was mainly answering his query about running 4 drives at once. The SDrive *can* do that.

I believe the game itself only makes use of two drives max.

I'd like to see a device like this that can run all four D1-D4 drives at once... no more flipping Alternate Reality or powering up four physical 1050s

:)

SDrives *do* run all four at once. The selection on the front just flips that selected number "into" D1:

Didn't think you could play Alternate Reality on SDrive. Aren't there 5 disks involved?

I thought it was 4, but I guess I don't know for certain. I was mainly answering his query about running 4 drives at once. The SDrive *can* do that.

I believe the game itself only makes use of two drives max.

in the SDrive, all disks you need to use, have to be assigned to a drive (D1-D4) as once its booted you can only swap D1:-D4: into D1:, you can set it up so it swaps an arbitrary image into D1:/D2 'on the fly' unless you use special XIO commands...

sloopy.

• 1 month later...

just tried out my Sdrive Nuxx today, and I think something is wrong with it, it loads very very slow, have a buzzing noise coming from speakers, you only hear the a beep every so often. I have another sdrive and it works just fine, loads really fast. Anyone have this sort of problem?

Robert Miller

just tried out my Sdrive Nuxx today, and I think something is wrong with it, it loads very very slow, have a buzzing noise coming from speakers, you only hear the a beep every so often. I have another sdrive and it works just fine, loads really fast. Anyone have this sort of problem? Robert Miller

To add to this, after talking with Robert via PMs it seems his issue when using the SDrive NUXX only with a 130XE, yet the a8maestro SDrive works fine with the 130XE. With an 800XL both SDrive implementations work just fine. Multiple SD cards and ATRs were tried, and the differentiating factor between right or not seems to be the Atari hardware itself.

I'm at a loss to explain this, but perhaps the 130XE doesn't provide enough power (or perhaps not clean enough power or something?) and the SDrive NUXX is less tolerant of that than the a8maestro version? This surprises me because the SDrive NUXX implementation is the same design as the original Raster/CPU version; the only differences are in the voltage regulator and LEDs and such. The only way I could see a variance like this causing an issue is if the 130XE can't provide quite enough power and thus the AVR is running quirky.

Anyone else have any suggestions / ideas?

(UPDATE: Note that the SDrive NUXX ships with original firmware from Raster/CPU. It's possible that the a8maestro version has different firmware? I haven't investigated this yet...)

Edited by c0nsumer

Has he removed the offending FCC caps from the SIO port? (I've had issues with random peripherals not working on 130XEs due to this - After discussing with Metalguy I now always snip them off)

No idea, but good thought. I don't have a 130XE so I wasn't really aware of this. Hopefully he'll see this. I'll send him a link to be sure.

Edited by c0nsumer

I opened up the 130xe and there was two clusters of caps soldered directly to the SIO port, I clipped them off the board and wiggled them until they came off of the SIO port, after reassembly my SDRIVE NUXX work beautifully and very fast.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I now have to try an XF551 that I though was bad, may be related to the same problem.

Best regards

Robert Miller